Pigeons with a 410

Liam-1990

I don't think there that dear I was paying £65 a slab for fiocchi magnums 19g when I had my little anschutz bot action, if you look at the lead per round yeah it's dear but ive paid that sort of money for 250 12g cartridges, I try to just think of it as I'm getting 250 shots for a certain price rather than x-amount of grams of lead for a certain price.

£60 a slab for the same for me 2 months ago. And I'm with you on being a price per shot not the value per gram.

I don't think there that dear I was paying £65 a slab for fiocchi magnums 19g when I had my little anschutz bot action, if you look at the lead per round yeah it's dear but ive paid that sort of money for 250 12g cartridges, I try to just think of it as I'm getting 250 shots for a certain price rather than x-amount of grams of lead for a certain price.

I wish I still had my anschutz it was a cracking gun it was choked 1/4 which seemed to suit the fiocchi as they patterned great at 25yards which was what I tried to keep within when decoying.

While the price difference between .410 carts and 12 bore game carts is pretty much zero, what upsets me is the fact that your getting so little. 1/2 the shot, 1/2 the powder, smaller wad, smaller case, about half the materials all round, yet nowhere near half the cost. Add to that cartridge availability can be very limited, and while your not paying much more than with a 12, the value is poor.

When having a go on clays you really notice the difference, no such thing as cheap clay loads for a .410.

If they were a sensible price I'd probably use the .410 over the 12 much of the time as it's lighter, quieter and somehow more fun, but as it is you have a much smaller pattern, limited range, but no cost savings.

Rant over, perhaps I should take up .410 reloading - I wonder how much that costs/saves?

If they were a sensible price I'd probably use the .410 over the 12 much of the time as it's lighter, quieter and somehow more fun, but as it is you have a much smaller pattern, limited range, but no cost savings.

Rant over, perhaps I should take up .410 reloading - I wonder how much that costs/saves?

You won't save very much at all loading your own. What you can do though is pick your own components (like very hard plated shot) to allow you to get the best pattern from your gun for a given shot charge weight. I think it was Sterling that mentioned 16 grams as the best charge for good patterns, which is probably about right. If you can pick and choose what you load then there is scope to up this without completely ruining things. It will always be a trade off between shot charge, load speed and pattern quality. Climbing the North Face of the .410 is a good little book to start off with if you get into the reloading side.

• 4 weeks later...