Airgun accuracy

fenboy

I am a big fan of decent springers but I will stick up for the multi shot PCP for 2 Good reasons:

1.night time rabbits - fiddling around loading pellets (the right way up) into a springer breach in the dark is not good.

2. Decoying pigeons - I often set myself up in a hedge where space is fairly tight and cocking a springer is just too much, also with a PCP you don't have to do much movement to get another shot off whereas all that moving around you have to do with a springer will never allow an extra shot (its not uncommon to get one woody while another is 10 foot away and unaware).

I love a springer but the ultimate all-round hunting tool has to be a multishot PCP.

i have to totally disagree with 1. ! i shoot a lot of ferals and the loading is done in the dark a break barrel .22 is dead easy and very quick, in deed although a multishot might have a slight edge on speed over a full mag the springer is quicker over say 30,40,50 etc. and a lot less fiddly when compared to mag changing

while i agree many springers like the TX are hard to load quickly without looking, this is far from the case with a break barrel. practice in use is esential in PCP or springer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woah dont panic mate!! chill out.

Im saying people in general find them inaccurate for some reason.

Also the little bit of recoil isnt about how much you feel in the shoulder its about the movement of the barrel relative to the target whilst the pellet is going through the barrel. If you shoot rimmys or centre fires it will keep you in sync but with a pcp it is efectively a point and click weapon (even more so with a bipod)

Im quite drawn to pcp's becuase of their previous good points discussed but then theres the price and it puts me right off. It boggles the mind to think a pcp or even a springer can cost more than a capable live fire rifle.

woah dont panic mate!! chill out.

Im saying people in general find them inaccurate for some reason.

Also the little bit of recoil isnt about how much you feel in the shoulder its about the movement of the barrel relative to the target whilst the pellet is going through the barrel. If you shoot rimmys or centre fires it will keep you in sync but with a pcp it is efectively a point and click weapon (even more so with a bipod)

Im quite drawn to pcp's becuase of their previous good points discussed but then theres the price and it puts me right off. It boggles the mind to think a pcp or even a springer can cost more than a capable live fire rifle.

i realy struggle to see why someone might think a bipod a must have for shooting bunnies and the like at airgun ranges anyway. Springers are great for learning follw through and dwell time essential componants in all rifle skills

i realy struggle to see why someone might think a bipod a must have for shooting bunnies and the like at airgun ranges anyway. Springers are great for learning follw through and dwell time essential componants in all rifle skills

well, I assume you don't take all of your shots free hand or supported on only your elbows or knees? A bipod is just another useful rest that you can use if there isn't any other available. Personally I don't use them as I prefer sticks but if they work for you why not? You don't have to spend so much time worrying about what others do, just accept there's more than one right way to do things. ATB. Edited by FalconFN

well, I assume you don't take all of your shots free hand or supported on only your elbows or knees? A bipod is just another useful rest that you can use if there isn't any other available. Personally I don't use them as I prefer sticks but if they work for you why not? You don't have to spend so much time worrying about what others do, just accept there's more than one right way to do things. ATB.

I repeate," i dont class it as a must have" thats pretty much self explanitory- if you want one use one! As it happens you dont so i am failing to understand your motivation for this post as you dont use one either. Springers can shoot quite well off sticks if they are well padded i have found

I repeate," i dont class it as a must have" thats pretty much self explanitory- if you want one use one! As it happens you dont so i am failing to understand your motivation for this post as you dont use one either. Springers can shoot quite well off sticks if they are well padded i have found

Dont use bipods, tried sticks (another stick to carry around whilst not shooting at much and then make a noise with. Fences are great but then god or his physichs equivalent (this phrase gets difficult with scientists!) gave us elbows so fences or elbows will do well for me.

Dont use bipods, tried sticks (another stick to carry around whilst not shooting at much and then make a noise with. Fences are great but then god or his physichs equivalent (this phrase gets difficult with scientists!) gave us elbows so fences or elbows will do well for me.

Handling sticks well takes practice, once mastered you can take standers like sitters., also usefull for holding down barbed wire or probing for hidden ditches etc. I use them a lot and have found them very usefull in buildings stangely enough clearing ferals from high beams with pinpoint 1st shot bang flop kills.

Got to love the snobbery in this thread. :lol:

It doesn't matter whether you use a bipod (or not), sticks (or not) or come to that any other 'aids', just use what suits you and aids your accuracy.

For what it's worth, I only own PCP's now and it is for the lack of movement when cocking. I can be ready to fire again within 2 or 3 seconds and have only moved my rigt hand 4 inches from the grip and back again. I have shot more than one rabbit without spooking it's companions on several occasions and for me, that's justification enough. Often the impact of the first shot is only enough to move them on a couple of feet, or, just pop their heads up making a perfectly open follow up shot.

I did own a break barrel and shot fairly well with it, but am still more accurate, more consistently with a PCP.

Ok some are thick and the first shot wont stir them, then with a break barrel pop down reload and pop up again for 2nd shot like an attack helicopter.

Its not exactly snobbery im not a world champion shot but your shhoting wont be any the better by constantly using these aids. They are great when they are available but you should not rely on it. **** third law states that the one shot you have to take that really challenges you will not be practicale for an aid and then if your one of these fellas that just sits in a field with a pcp bipod and butt rest and simply lines up and pulls the trigger. You then become just an input and its not a skill.

Skillful shots learn not to use aids and use weapons that are maaybe more challenging.

The answer therefore is the more challenging the situation the better the practice. Simple proven and not snobbish.

Snobs are the people that turn up with there £1000+ rifle and cant hitting a barn door with it. If you fall into that category then its not a good day for you.

I tend to shoot fairly open ground and the movement required to break a barrel would be way too much, I can spook them just on drawing the bolt back on occasion.

I am not saying that you shouldn't shoot unsupported by any means, but if circumstances suit, then stack the odds in your favour.

Cost of a gun is often immaterial as to the attitutde of the shooter. I know guys who can afford £1k guns but can't shoot them and are man enough to admit it is their inability, I also know guys with break barrels who look down their noses at PCP users as poor shooters..and yet, all of the good HFT shooters I know, use PCP's, and most of the serious hunting shooters I know also use PCP's. That tells me all I need to know.

Edit; I use a £350 second hand Daystate, so what does that say about me?

Edited by -Mongrel-

Jesus the pigeon you decoy your way must be dumb , I normally shoot one and when that is flapping around with a hole in its head the others fly straight off !! , I can usually reload the spring gun before another comes along. :shifty:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to shoot fairly open ground and the movement required to break a barrel would be way too much, I can spook them just on drawing the bolt back on occasion.

I am not saying that you shouldn't shoot unsupported by any means, but if circumstances suit, then stack the odds in your favour.

Cost of a gun is often immaterial as to the attitutde of the shooter. I know guys who can afford £1k guns but can't shoot them and are man enough to admit it is their inability, I also know guys with break barrels who look down their noses at PCP users as poor shooters..and yet, all of the good HFT shooters I know, use PCP's, and most of the serious hunting shooters I know also use PCP's. That tells me all I need to know.

Edit; I use a £350 second hand Daystate, so what does that say about me?

At least someone on this thread speaks sense

At least someone on this thread speaks sense

Does that include you?

2nd hand daystate for £350 rock on thats a bloody good price and easilly justifiable. Yeah ok they use those guns because it gurantees a hit but a springer is pretty much equal.

Open ground is what I used to hunt on and i absolutely understand what your saying its a pain enough trying to get the rifle on aim without the running.

As you (not you him (confused yet)) and me said if theres a rest available then especially for live quarry use it. But people whoc constantly shoot off a bipod or sticks are really going to suffer if they cant use their normal setup for some reason and then they will wish they kept it simple.

Simples (ok mods I NEED a meerkat emoticon its ruining my day!)

Does that include you?

2nd hand daystate for £350 rock on thats a bloody good price and easilly justifiable. Yeah ok they use those guns because it gurantees a hit but a springer is pretty much equal.

Open ground is what I used to hunt on and i absolutely understand what your saying its a pain enough trying to get the rifle on aim without the running.

As you (not you him (confused yet)) and me said if theres a rest available then especially for live quarry use it. But people whoc constantly shoot off a bipod or sticks are really going to suffer if they cant use their normal setup for some reason and then they will wish they kept it simple.

Does that include you?

Lol It does occasionally include me!

As you (not you him (me?) (confused yet)) and me said if theres a rest available then especially for live quarry use it. But people who constantly shoot off a bipod or sticks are really going to suffer if they cant use their normal setup for some reason and then they will wish they kept it simple.

I do see where you are coming from (although I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the pcp/springer accuracy issue). It's one of the reasons why I encourage people to shoot HFT (as I do myself) as it forces you to shoot from different positions and utilise any natural supports available, it not only improves real world marksmanship such as compensating for shooting up or downward as well as wind and distance, but it puts you in good stead for the unexpected snap shots.

I'll still use a bipod whenever I can in the field though. I use a 13 - 23" as I find I can take a prone, seated or kneeling shot off it most of the time. I have to say thet it MUST be fitted with a swivel though.

Edited by -Mongrel-

nice group that pal for a springer,ive a hw97 shoots ace. but a pcp takes the p... .they are serious , ive hunted with hw 80,s for years but when i got my first pcp when they came out i never looked back, dont get me wrong i do still use them on rabbits etc, but pcp,s do thumb nails at 50 yard for fun if you can shoot straight..

spring for a pro, air for show :)

Except for, as I said earlier, that ALL of the serious hunters or HFT shooters I know shoot PCP's. :lol:

I do know of a HFT guy who shoot's a springer sometimes in club comps...but as soon as it becomes inter-club or open comps, he's back on his AirArms EV2!