Airgun accuracy

fenboy

Lol yes I'd had a beer - a mere slip of the tongue! It is true though most of the time springer shooters are to tight to by or can't afford one (which is fair enough) that's what it boils down to whether they admit it or not.they just try and mask it with the old springers better than pcp drivel. Don't get me wrong there is the purists who love them and I wouldn't mind having another one....they do have their uses-you can't say a professional hunter would use a springer over a pcp though that's just pure rubbish

Edited by tomhw100

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good shooting Fenboy. I have had my 97k for years and still enjoy using it. I find it is still good practce for the heavier calibres. If you want to really try your skill at a springer try a a Diana 52 its got a kick like a mule. If you can master that you can shoot most.

Lose your shooting skill...what a ridiculous statement the recoil on a springer is minimal, I agree more than a pcp but still minimal. What **** are you going on about join the special forces? I've shot one rabbit 1000's of times but the few times I can have another shot I do because I can. I never said Springers were inaccurate either...far from it I used to have a 97k and before that I used a Webley eclipse I just prefer a pcp as I personally think its a more efficient hunting tool.

What right near horses and a busy farmyard....me no think so

If you have shot 1 rabbbit 1000s of times I would either get a gun capable of killing it or pick on another rabbit cos boy, that bunny is going to be right forked off with you!

If you have shot 1 rabbbit 1000s of times I would either get a gun capable of killing it or pick on another rabbit cos boy, that bunny is going to be right forked off with you!

Yeah badly worded I meant I've never taken two rabbits from 2 shots in quick succession.

Except for, as I said earlier, that ALL of the serious hunters or HFT shooters I know shoot PCP's. :lol:

I do know of a HFT guy who shoot's a springer sometimes in club comps...but as soon as it becomes inter-club or open comps, he's back on his AirArms EV2!

(im gonna be right in the **** for saying this but ALL the serious hunters I know use powder burners.

Couldnt be bothered to quote tomhw100 but your right. PCPs are expensive but its not that we are masking it we are pointing out that a springer does the job and is cheaper. Simples

... except for the BSA Goldstar (10 shot springer) or the Theoben SLR88/98 (gas ram) multishots.

Yes but do you have to cock the gun before firing the next shot... Which is exactly my point you may not have to load a pellet but you still have to pull the under lever every shot.... I stand corrected if Im wrong

My view, i can pick up my xs78 ( nearest thing i have to a pcp ) after being on holiday for a week, load it up and hit a rabbit kill zone at a decent range with no issues. It helps that it is quiet to load and is easy to shoot. On paper half inch groups could be easily achieved with minimal practice. ( bearing in mind this is without practicing and its a cheap gun done up )

Ill honestly say that if i had come back from holiday after a week and picked up my mercury and tryed to concentrate completely on, everything, hold, breathing, you know the drill i would pick up the gun and easily put 50 pellets at a one inch target and it would be at least 30 of those pellets before i could hit the inch target consistantly.

I can also say having used the springer as my primary gun for two and a bit years on squirrels and rabbits ive never found breaking the barrel and putting the pellet in quickly a problem, i built up muscle memory over time, and i can recall having shot three rabbits each within five yards of eachother in rapid sucession. It would be easier to pull off such a feat with a multishot pcp, admittadly. In the same capacity a skittish rabbit will not stand the racking of a bolt, to the same extent as it might not stand the breaking of a break barrel, Again with practice both can be done quickly and quietly.

One thing i will say is that i can shoot further more accurately with a pcp/co2 than with a springer.

And without practice i can be more consistant with a co2/pcp, than a springer.

Im my opinion each tool with practice can be a valuable tool to pest controll with. It really comes down to preference, and how deep your pocket is.

Yeah badly worded I meant I've never taken two rabbits from 2 shots in quick succession.

(im gonna be right in the **** for saying this but ALL the serious hunters I know use powder burners.

Couldnt be bothered to quote tomhw100 but your right. PCPs are expensive but its not that we are masking it we are pointing out that a springer does the job and is cheaper. Simples

Funny thing is I have using my PCP, rabbits about 6-10 foot away from each other, nearest one got a Crosman sleeping pill at 600 foot per second, the other one sat up, I operated ye olde side lever on the HW100 and got a bean on it, dropped it with another Crosman sleep giver! It can happen!

LOL! Ok, yes, most of the serious hunters use 'real' guns. However, I'll reword that to most serious airgun hunters blah, blah, blah.

Just as a case in point, last night I shot 7 rabbits, 3 of which were shot consecutively. By that I mean that I shot one, second one looked up wondering what the noise was, bang, third one had by then bolted as far as the fence line but then paused, bang!

3 rabbits in probably less than 30 seconds, only achievable beacuse all I have to do is cycle the bolt in my multishot Daystate Mk3 to take another shot, minimal movement, minimal time. I'll bet you some serious cash that you can't do that with your break barrel springer?

That said, the last one was taken as I was clearing up! It was dusk and as I was walking up the field I realised that there were two rabbits sat in the field no more than twenty yards in font of me as I brazenly walked around picking up carcasses! Cheeky or stupid, either way, a standing snap shot taught one the error of its ways!

Edited by -Mongrel-

This is turning into a PCP v Springer slag fest guys , the original post was to show that a good springer in the right hands is a very accurate gun , not to start a debate on which is the better gun , they each have their own advantages we all know that so can we just leave it at that .

Hahaha, 3 pages in and you now don't like how it's going.

It's turning into a discussion as to the merits of either. personally I have already conceded that you can use a springer for either, but, I feel the advantages of the PCP outweigh the disadvantages, Fenman disagrees.

Anyway, it goes without saying that a decent springer in the right hands can be an accurate tool, I don't think anyone would argue that, so what was the point of the original post if that's all it set out to achieve, unless it was to big up your markmanship of course?

In which case, nice group!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hahaha, 3 pages in and you now don't like how it's going.

It's turning into a discussion as to the merits of either. personally I have already conceded that you can use a springer for either, but, I feel the advantages of the PCP outweigh the disadvantages, Fenman disagrees.

Anyway, it goes without saying that a decent springer in the right hands can be an accurate tool, I don't think anyone would argue that, so what was the point of the original post if that's all it set out to achieve, unless it was to big up your markmanship of course?

In which case, nice group!

Deep breaths everyone.

PCP marginally better than springer but often a lot more expensive case closed.

That really is a good group from a springer, and I can see why you posted the picture as it's not the average but it is what I'd expect from a PCP day in, day out.

I had a lovely HW98 that shot very well but at that range I could only really be confident of 10p sized groups with the odd flyer - no doubt due to me - but quite frankly when I put the cross hairs on a target I want to have confidence that the pellet will land exactly there and I have that confidence with PCPs.

I grew up with springers and only changed to PCPs 2-3 years ago but I probably wouldn't want to go hunting with a springer if there was a PCP to hand - I'd paper punch all day though.

No matter how good you are with a PCP, no matter what you can do, there is nothing like the feeling of satisfaction dropping one with a spring powered rifle.

:stupid:

I sold my spinger for £250 and bought a PCP for £160. Sorry, case not quite reopened, but left ajar.

What did you get? Ive beem looking for years and all I can find at that price is an AGS PRC1 and I dont think ill be touching that with an extendable barge pole!

At least youll have some money to buy the charging gear!

If I could find something cheap then it would be a great rat gun but then theres the balancing factor of a shotty or rimfire.

Something that cheap can extend to some good rifles, for instance last year the other half picked up a Daystate X2, with 3 litre charging cylinder, gun bag, bipod, Hawke MAP6 scope and silencer, she paid £275, which when you knock off the value of the gun, cylinder, bipod, scope and bag, even secondhand, makes the gun £130 tops!

She decided she did not like the Daystate so I swapped it for my AT44 with her! She then decided she wanted a Falcon Prairie, found one for sale with new charging cylinder (3 litre), gun bag and scope, £300, got there the bloke also had a BSA Ultra he wanted to get shot of, along with a new and unfilled 3 litre cylinder, scope and a bag too, wound up paying £500 for the lot! Along with the original invoces from the RFD. Split the 2 x 3 litre 300 bar (brand new) cylinders off, the scopes, the gun bags, once again round about the £160 mark per rifle. Bargains are out there, you have to look for them though!

Edited by secretagentmole

:stupid:

What did you get? Ive beem looking for years and all I can find at that price is an AGS PRC1 and I dont think ill be touching that with an extendable barge pole!

At least youll have some money to buy the charging gear!

If I could find something cheap then it would be a great rat gun but then theres the balancing factor of a shotty or rimfire.

I got a mid 90s Falcon FN19 with a Sak mod, tin of pellets and a 3 month warranty from a local gunshop. It was sold cheap as it was waiting for a full service (which did myself for free) I had to buy a pump (£60) and a second hand scope (£40) but it is so reliable and accurate that I can't see the point of 'upgrading' it to a newer one. I sold the .22 springer to get the .177 PCP but I'd like to get a .22 springer again when the funds allow, a Prosport would be nice.

Edited by FalconFN

• 2 weeks later...

i have found the newest hw,s are rough, the springs are badly cut.

totally agree, bought a hw98 new recently.... was terrible, went back.

got a hw45 recently, brand new..... paint coming off after 2 hrs, went back.

there slipping, prices arnt though..... bought a tx200, never looked back.