Cost of making your own ammo??

jam1e

Why are we talking about "Skill" at arms? One of my closest friends has recently retired as a qualfied instuctor on this and the stds are far from high and would be easy to achieve with a dirty gun. No secondhand info from un-named experts - a clean gun shoots best as you cannot replicate the degree of dirtyness and as such is the only way to evaluate homeloads. How can you evaluate anything if the variables change in other respects? Quite simply put you cannot.

Its perhaps better to talk about BRest, f-class etc if you have actually competed in it. Most shoot a clean gun on arrival but actual cleaning regimes change from shooter to shooter, gun to gun.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are we talking about "Skill" at arms? One of my closest friends has recently retired as a qualfied instuctor on this and the stds are far from high and would be easy to achieve with a dirty gun. No secondhand info from un-named experts - a clean gun shoots best as you cannot replicate the degree of dirtyness and as such is the only way to evaluate homeloads. How can you evaluate anything if the variables change in other respects? Quite simply put you cannot.

Its perhaps better to talk about BRest, f-class etc if you have actually competed in it. Most shoot a clean gun on arrival but actual cleaning regimes change from shooter to shooter, gun to gun.

as i said i was taught to clean my rifle after every time i used it ,a lot of the ammo i used was cordite ,and it felt like i was going against the grain by not cleaning ,this was used as a quote about not having to clean your bore as now days we use modern nitro powders ,thus will not corrode your barrel,and like have said before one of the world top class BR shooter has won a comp with a dirty barrel ???????????

duuuuuu i will tell you were i did it and every one will know and were ,think not

PP, between your PM's and the above comment I just can't understand what you are getting at. But oh wait a minute, I have just noticed where you claim to be from, that sort of explains it a bit, well no it doesn't but hey I think I will just leave it. You would be better changing your name to Secret Squirrel though as I think that it would be more apt. :hmm:

I think the "mods" need to get a grip on this site!

I've never known a forum site where so many threads end up being taken way off topic. And not briefly with an apology, but continually!

With members doing the same old "I'm right your wrong" *******! Not only is it boring to read, It's bad manners!

It's so frustrating, having to read through posts where members are flexing their ego's, just to make sure i'm not missing something that's relevant to what i'm trying to learn! :mad:

I think the "mods" need to get a grip on this site!

I've never known a forum site where so many threads end up being taken way off topic. And not briefly with an apology, but continually!

With members doing the same old "I'm right your wrong" ********! Not only is it boring to read, It's bad manners!

It's so frustrating, having to read through posts where members are flexing their ego's, just to make sure i'm not missing something that's relevant to what i'm trying to learn! :mad:

well said that man ,i was going to delete my account and join the other forums ,ive had a few chaps say the same as you ,i came here not so long ago and tried to help people in what i know ,but seem to get slated for it :good:

well said that man ,i was going to delete my account and join the other forums ,ive had a few chaps say the same as you ,i came here not so long ago and tried to help people in what i know ,but seem to get slated for it good.gif

I think you will find (not directed at you) but this forum is actually one of the best with some very knowledgable people on here. There is a few people on here, not mentioning any names, that just dont help at all, they just hinder. Which is why if you look through this thread end up how it did, people willy waving and getting the best groups and all that. I have a very experienced reloaer and stalker as my mentor and he always questions my questions. I am shooting 5 bullets in a pound coin, and I am wanting to get better. He asked me why I wnated better groups, I then answer the question myself. His answer is, "youve done all this work investing your money, time and effort, shot 250 rounds makiing the perfect load, now go out and shoot the ****** instead of picking holes in how great you have done".

I think you will find (not directed at you) but this forum is actually one of the best with some very knowledgable people on here. There is a few people on here, not mentioning any names, that just dont help at all, they just hinder. Which is why if you look through this thread end up how it did, people willy waving and getting the best groups and all that. I have a very experienced reloaer and stalker as my mentor and he always questions my questions. I am shooting 5 bullets in a pound coin, and I am wanting to get better. He asked me why I wnated better groups, I then answer the question myself. His answer is, "youve done all this work investing your money, time and effort, shot 250 rounds makiing the perfect load, now go out and shoot the ****** instead of picking holes in how great you have done".

Thats the problem Jim, as you say it's a good forum. And i don't want to find another. As like you said, they're is some great advice on here!

People i have a question.

My lee kit has a powder measure/dispenser and also has the safety scales.

Now is the powder disperser is accurate enough to dispense directly into the casing, why do i need the scales ???

I can only think it's to make sure the dispenser is accurate. Like a second safety???

odds are the dispenser will get you in the ball park but may be out by a fair amount. I throw mine from an RSBS thrower onto scales and rarely have to add to it but it does happen. So basically it depends on the accuracy you want but with the time it takes for the number of rounds I weigh everything

Spot on charges are not realy required for shooting very well at say 100yds. I know this will confuse some peoples ideas on developing the perfect load selection / hamonics best group and all that jazz- BUT its the truth when your shooting Moa from a factory rifle most guns and importantly calibres shoot just fine with quite large discepancies at this sort of range. Now if only the shooters brain connected to this fact then there would be no issue at all on actually groups produced (confidence being the all important over riding mental factor here).

Note if your shooting what is pretty much a top end load- OR - a very low charge this "tollerance" might give pressure issues, so its better to stick to middle of the road stuff perhaps and higher volume fills

the issue comes with if you don't activate the thrower fully and throw a half charge, its surprisingly easy to do. Or get a slight blockage its so easy to weigh each one when you do 50 it probably adds a couple of minutes to it. A variation is to weigh every 5 or some random number but I'd be pretty wary about just setting up a thrower and then not checking.

Cheers fella's.

The only reason i'm starting the reloading capor is purely due to cost issues. The average .204 round is coming out at £1.29!!

If i can get abit better accuracy/consistency then great.

Going on what you fella's have said, i'll just weigh every load to be sure.

One should alway look into the cases with a light and make sure of the fill by eye, even weighing each charge its easy to miss one- the primer alone will get a bullet up the rifling with disatrous results if a subsequent round is fired ontop

very good point ,yep make sure you eye it up before you pop a head in ,or you could get a squib round

nope WD40 i was told use by someone on the range !!! never again like i said it rusted out a old k98 i had ,and as for faulty barrels there must be a lot on are range ,some lads or paying !000s for them ,mine was £600 ,so southern gun must be selling crud barrels ,well the proof is on the photos and i will and many others are going this way ,try it you might be pleasantly surprised ,and one more thing dont worry about cleaning your flash hole out as this dont make one bit of difference ,proven by rail gun shooters :hmm:

WD40 cannot ever cause your gun to rust.

Unless someone can demonstrate chemically how this is supposed to occur can we put this to bed forever.

Richard

Edited by RichardH

Unless someone can demonstrate chemically how this is supposed to occur can we put this to bed forever.

Richard

I dont get were this even comes from, unless someone sprayed it over a gun contaminated by salt or similar without first clearing it of such contamination?

nope WD40 i was told use by someone on the range !!! never again like i said it rusted out a old k98

I missed this gem!

I would put money on it that this 'someone' had been shooting old and very corrosive milsurp ammunition that day and when got home he couldnt be bothered to clean it properly so decided to spray WD40 down the barrel instead. This will NOT stop it from rusting. The easiest way of removing the salts (its in the primer) is to stick a kettle full of boiling hot water straight down the barrel then while its still hot spray WD40 liberally to remove the water. When cool clean as normal with whatever you have to hand. I have a K98 and this is what i do when i've shot cheapo milsurp.

WD40 dont cause things to rust!

Richard

rich ,i seen it with my own eyes ,after about 200 rounds of 2WW surplus ammo i was told to spray WD40 down the barrel ,and then clean with bronze brush and then 4x2 with pull through i looked down the bore after a day or two and it was well lets say i could not see my rifling

good night its now put to bed

rich ,i seen it with my own eyes ,after about 200 rounds of 2WW surplus ammo i was told to spray WD40 down the barrel ,and then clean with bronze brush and then 4x2 with pull through i looked down the bore after a day or two and it was well lets say i could not see my rifling

You seriously thought WD40 was a sensible bore cleaner?

Even if it was (which it isnt) in order for the steel to rust you would need a combination of iron and oxygen (normally with moisture) to allow the reaction to take place.

WD40 even used as you suggest would inhibit the chemical reaction completely, it was after all invented to prevent corrosion of nuclear missiles...........

Shooting corrosive ammunition will rust your bore in the presence of oxygen, moisture will rust your bore in the presence of oxygen......

WD40 with or without oxygen cannot ever rust your bore

I think that probably puts it to bed my friend

Rich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

You seriously thought WD40 was a sensible bore cleaner?

Even if it was (which it isnt) in order for the steel to rust you would need a combination of iron and oxygen (normally with moisture) to allow the reaction to take place.

WD40 even used as you suggest would inhibit the chemical reaction completely, it was after all invented to prevent corrosion of nuclear missiles...........

Shooting corrosive ammunition will rust your bore in the presence of oxygen, moisture will rust your bore in the presence of oxygen......

WD40 with or without oxygen cannot ever rust your bore

I think that probably puts it to bed my friend

Rich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717091224AAUNeL9

Knew it-milsurp ammo.No amount of WD40,gun oil or Castrol GTX will stop a barrel from rusting when you've been firing it. Im afraid you've been given wrong advice.

read this and i will say good night

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

You did read that before posting it right???

From your posted article

Test 1 WD40 rated very good at preventing rust

Test 2 WD40 rated very good at preventing rust

Your starting point was WD40 will make your gun rust???

One last time, WD40 displaces water, its not an oil although it contains oil, its not a barrel cleaner.

IT CANNOT AS DEMONSTRATED BY YOUR OWN ARTICLE MAKE YOUR GUN RUST

You did read that before posting it right???

From your posted article

Test 1 WD40 rated very good at preventing rust

Test 2 WD40 rated very good at preventing rust

Your starting point was WD40 will make your gun rust???

One last time, WD40 displaces water, its not an oil although it contains oil, its not a barrel cleaner.

IT CANNOT AS DEMONSTRATED BY YOUR OWN ARTICLE MAKE YOUR GUN RUST

can you then PLEASE tell me what the brown dusty powder was in my k 98 it was fine for the first year i owned it and yes i was told to use wd40 for cleaning out cordite but never again,i always use Bronx