Cost of making your own ammo??

jam1e

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can you then PLEASE tell me what the brown dusty powder was in my k 98 it was fine for the first year i owned it and yes i was told to use wd40 for cleaning out cordite but never again,i always use Bronx

You dont use a water displacer to remove corrosive salts

Had you removed the salts with hot water then used WD40 to displace the water the barrel would be good as new which will be what the guy meant.

Heres how to clean it properly

http://www.enfield-rifles.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2175

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-discussion/72577-cleaning-ak-rifle-after-firing-corrosive-ammunition.html

You dont use a water displacer to remove corrosive salts

Had you removed the salts with hot water then used WD40 to displace the water the barrel would be good as new which will be what the guy meant.

Heres how to clean it properly

http://www.enfield-r...ts.asp?TID=2175

http://www.northwest...ammunition.html

i do know how to clean a rifle ,this was a long time ago and it was a trader from bisley that i bought it from with a load of WW2 ammo ,he told me to just spray it down the bore and put a pull through down it , and i know what WD40 is used for ,i grew up with 2 engineers in the family

On a serious note. I'll be looking to start reloading soon and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I was chatting with my local rfd the other day and mentioned reloading. He stated that i should put my fac in for variation, to add a 100 "projectiles" so i don't end up with more bullet heads than rounds and could end up being short of available ammo.

To be honest i hadn't thought much about the implications on my ticket when it came to reloading and presumed i could only buy all the parts necessary to build ammo up to the amount i'm allowed to buy at any one time, as per my fac.

Could someone shed some light on how reloading works when it comes to my ticket??

And secondly, what powder should i use for my .204 Ruger. I have no idea what to look for, and what to avoid. Any experienced reloaders out there that can point me in the right direction??

cheers.

Jamie

Just to add, now arguing please folks....

i use VITN133 for my .223 and some like 4895 ,have a look at this its got some good data

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/20caliber/

i have a limit on my FAC but my FEO has never said about how my heads i have ,i have boxes of all sorts ,he knows im into reloading ,cant see the problem ,they would limit you on powder next

On a serious note. I'll be looking to start reloading soon and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I was chatting with my local rfd the other day and mentioned reloading. He stated that i should put my fac in for variation, to add a 100 "projectiles" so i don't end up with more bullet heads than rounds and could end up being short of available ammo.

To be honest i hadn't thought much about the implications on my ticket when it came to reloading and presumed i could only buy all the parts necessary to build ammo up to the amount i'm allowed to buy at any one time, as per my fac.

Could someone shed some light on how reloading works when it comes to my ticket??

And secondly, what powder should i use for my .204 Ruger. I have no idea what to look for, and what to avoid. Any experienced reloaders out there that can point me in the right direction??

cheers.

Jamie

Just to add, now arguing please folks....

you should ring your FEO and ask him where you can buy powder but only enough for 100 rounds lol

Jamie, by now you will have realized that there is good info, not so good info, and absolute rubbish spoken on this forum.

By far and away the best thing you could do is spend some time with someone that is experienced in reloading, that way you will gain a good, safe grounding that will set you up.

I'm about an hour away from you, so if you don't mind taking a half day out and driving over to the Daventry area, I'll be happy to show you the basics, load some ammo using your kit,

and test it at one of my test ranges.

Jamie, by now you will have realized that there is good info, not so good info, and absolute rubbish spoken on this forum.

By far and away the best thing you could do is spend some time with someone that is experienced in reloading, that way you will gain a good, safe grounding that will set you up.

I'm about an hour away from you, so if you don't mind taking a half day out and driving over to the Daventry area, I'll be happy to show you the basics, load some ammo using your kit,

and test it at one of my test ranges.

Thanks. That is very good of you.

However, purely by coincidence, i happen to be talking to a acquaintance at a flying club i attend and he is a keen hunter of some 30 years, lives one mile away from me and is apparently a keen reloader. However, if i'm not comfortable with his ability i'll pm you.

One again, thanks! :good: