Olympic Legacy Shooting already missing out....

HDAV

OK so Olympic Legacy what does that offer?

https://www.joininuk.org/locations/map

Shooting isnt even on the list...... Who is responsible for this massive oversight? Brittish Shooting? Joinin? Each individual club? The CPSA/NSRA/NRA? ISSF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...2-sport-tasters Full range of things on offer

EDIT: OK found one shooting event http://www.bbc.co.uk/thingstodo/activity/the-shotgun-chelsea-bun-club-02/occurrence/139106 On the BBC site but none on the "Joinin"

Edited by HDAV

There's sweet FA for shooting and Peter Wilson is probably an embarassment for the establishment. We tried very hard to get the shooting events to another venue where we could reap the benefit but LOCOG were adamant it wasn't moving from Woolwich. The ISSF sold us down the river by supporting Coe &Co instead of British Shooting the federation affiliated to them. We thought we'd cracked it with the World Cup held at Southern Counties especially as the sailing is just down the road at Weymouth. The equipment at Woolwich is going into store for the Comm Games in Glasgow in 2014, then I imagine it will be quietly lost.

There's sweet FA for shooting and Peter Wilson is probably an embarassment for the establishment. We tried very hard to get the shooting events to another venue where we could reap the benefit but LOCOG were adamant it wasn't moving from Woolwich. The ISSF sold us down the river by supporting Coe &Co instead of British Shooting the federation affiliated to them. We thought we'd cracked it with the World Cup held at Southern Counties especially as the sailing is just down the road at Weymouth. The equipment at Woolwich is going into store for the Comm Games in Glasgow in 2014, then I imagine it will be quietly lost.

You're right Phil, I don't think we'll ever be able to rely on the 'establishment' to promote shooting, whether it's clays or quarry.

There's only one way forward, and that's for us to introduce new, young blood into the sport. I don't really think we can rely on the numerous organisations to help very much either.

There's a voluntary organisation I wouldn't mine becoming involved in,which places all its emphasis on getting youngsters into shooting sports called 'Pass It On',but as far as I know it's s still in its infancy,so don't know a lot about it as yet I'm afraid.

The only way to ensure the survival of shooting is give youngsters the chance to shoot,and to get away from the misconception that only the so-called upper classes shoot.Anglers aren't targeted by the RSPB,RSPCA,LACS et al in the same manner as shooters.Think about it.

The mere title 'Chelsea Bun' just about typifies everything the antis despise about us.Even to me it gives the impression of a car park full of top of the range 4x4's and girls with names such as Clarissa and Phoebe all dressed in Joules!What we want is a few more straw bales shoots,with kids bussed in for free from ALL areas.Get 'em young,and once they're bitten the self discipline and responsibility that goes with the sport will work wonders.

There's sweet FA for shooting and Peter Wilson is probably an embarassment for the establishment..

He's lucky he wasn't arrested for brandishing a gun in a public place :D

You're right Phil, I don't think we'll ever be able to rely on the 'establishment' to promote shooting, whether it's clays or quarry.

There's only one way forward, and that's for us to introduce new, young blood into the sport. I don't really think we can rely on the numerous organisations to help very much either.

I agree 100% :good:

I have come to the conclusion that in this country as fare as most people are concerned if we must have guns it should be just for pest control and we should not enjoy doing it why would people want to shoot at targets. Having said that shooting clays seems to be ok with some people but all other guns are a no no .

I do not now if it is correct or not but someone on TV the other day said that after the games was over the clay range was to be packed up and sent to Scotland for some competition that they was having next year.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I have come to the conclusion that in this country as fare as most people are concerned if we must have guns it should be just for pest control and we should not enjoy doing it why would people want to shoot at targets. Having said that shooting clays seems to be ok with some people but all other guns are a no no .

I do not now if it is correct or not but someone on TV the other day said that after the games was over the clay range was to be packed up and sent to Scotland for some competition that they was having next year.

I would say that most people have more of a problem with people shooting wildlife than shooting targets.

Some of the UK is more anti shooting than others. The police and fire games are coming to N Ireland in 2013 their are a lot of shooting events. Example of one below.

Pistol (Police Action Pistol)

Schedule

Monday, 5 August 2013

Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Please note that all dates are subject to change.

Detailed scheduling (exact dates and times for individual events) will be confirmed at the beginning of July 2013.

Registration

Registration for competitors opens on 1 November 2012.

Venue

The preferred venue for Pistol (Police Action Pistol) in the 2013 Games is Ballykinler Training Centre. A map is shown at the bottom of the page.

Ballykinler Training Centre

Ballykinler Co Down.

Firearms regulations

Applying to bring firearms to Northern Ireland for the World Police and Fire Games

We are currently in the process of producing specific application forms for WPFG competitors and instructions for their completion to be added to the WPFG website. The World Police and Fire Games Ltd Company will act as the sponsor for all competitors, and instructions for applying for all necessary permits will be posted on this website in the very near future. We have also been working with An Garda Síochána on the arrangements required for competitors arriving in the Republic of Ireland through for example, Dublin, these too will be posted on the website soon.

Storage of firearms when in Belfast

The Police Service of Northern Ireland have agreed to take all firearms into safekeeping on arrival so that no competitor will have to store firearms in hotel or other elsewhere. We are currently working with the police to draw up specific procedures that will be posted on the website soon.

Edited by ordnance

I would say that most people have more of a problem with people shooting wildlife than shooting targets.

The attitudes of the out and out animal rights activist will never be changed.

The battle lies in educating the majority of the general public, for whom shooting isn't really on the radar at the moment.

It can be done, but it will take a real effort on our part, and probably some fundamental changes to how we go about our sport.

Totally agree, I only shoot clays and was undecided about game / wildlife, but a few clay shooters I respect explained the damage pigeons etc. do to crops. I'm still not interested in anything but clays but have no problems with others shooting game.

I do personally class vermin and game shooting as a sport nor any form of angling, want to convince anyone game shooting isn't cruel let watch a game shoot for a day then spend a day on the line at a poultry processor......

Target, clay and paper need promotion be it air, rim, centre or shot... I find it incredible ( without credit) that parts of the NSRA site were last updated in 2007 with the words "being updated" shooting will never get into schools but I do think there should be a bigger push to include opportunities where possible scouts, guides, youth clubs etc

Alot of the trouble about getting new and young shooters into the sport come from the goverment.the range that i shoot at is only aloud to have one guest day per month 12 per year.if they were aloud 1 per week then the extra amount of people that can try the sport would greatlly increase.

Alot of the trouble about getting new and young shooters into the sport come from the goverment.the range that i shoot at is only aloud to have one guest day per month 12 per year.if they were aloud 1 per week then the extra amount of people that can try the sport would greatlly increase.

I have heard that before but also been told it isnt true and clubs can have upto 12 a year, but they are against "day or temp" memberships, doesn't stop you using sub 12ft/lb air on the range as a taster though......

I know there was an issue at uni as the the sports society charter was in conflict with the Home Office rules, but they managed quite well.

There is http://www.nationalshootingweek.co.uk/article/national-shooting-week-2012- but this isnt part of the Official Post Olympic push

Target, clay and paper need promotion be it air, rim, centre or shot... I find it incredible ( without credit) that parts of the NSRA site were last updated in 2007 with the words "being updated" shooting will never get into schools but I do think there should be a bigger push to include opportunities where possible scouts, guides, youth clubs etc

The Scouts and Cub Scouts in my group do air gun shooting at the local camesite range, and quite enjoy it. However, getting any other shooting such as clays or rim/centrefire rifles in has proved impossible, but negotiations are in line with other leaders in the county to help aleviate this issue. Youth Groups must have a priority for those pushing shooting forward.

The Scouts and Cub Scouts in my group do air gun shooting at the local camesite range, and quite enjoy it. However, getting any other shooting such as clays or rim/centrefire rifles in has proved impossible, but negotiations are in line with other leaders in the county to help aleviate this issue. Youth Groups must have a priority for those pushing shooting forward.

From what i know as long as it isnt fur or feather its fine, had a chat to leader about it some time ago cost is and will always be an issue but the procedure is pretty set out http://scouts.org.uk/supportresources/15/clay-pigeon-shooting?moduleID=24&cat=26,407,351&runMethod=scout if a local ground can host and you do a tie up with other troops or guides it shoudln't be too hard (perhaps ride the Olympic wave)...

From what i know as long as it isnt fur or feather its fine, had a chat to leader about it some time ago cost is and will always be an issue but the procedure is pretty set out http://scouts.org.uk...runMethod=scout if a local ground can host and you do a tie up with other troops or guides it shoudln't be too hard (perhaps ride the Olympic wave)...

After discussion with members on here and other leaders from around the county, we can see that it is more than possible and even have a prelaid plan for a fairly low cost clay bashing session drawn up. The issue I face at the moment is that I am having trouble getting it past the local admin who have to approve such activities.

If there are any cubs and scouts in Essex that need a hand, drop me a line. I do not know the particulars of the admin that you need to go through, but I could certainly offer advice, and/or shooting days with all the risk assessment help required. I shoot once a month with young people and thus have jumped the hoops.

Regarding legacy, it will not change dramatically over night, we need to be realistic. But there does need to be a strategic idea of promotion. The companies and bodies need to think in advertising and promotion terms outside of the shooting fraternity. We will always be up against people who are nervous or uneducated or staunchly against guns, that has to be taken as a given. But good information and experience must be given so that they can make up their own minds.

The companies and bodies need to think in advertising and promotion terms outside of the shooting fraternity.

Exactly, and I would add the shooting grounds too.

Kids can't afford the £40 - £50 lessons, but if grounds were to do it at cost (how much would 25 clays and 25 cheap carts be?) and throw in free instruction say once a month it would be a simple, cheap way of introducing youngsters to the sport (and hopefully some parents too).

Think of it as a 'loss leader' or better still an investment for the future of shooting.

Sure, not everyone would take it up as a sport, but those that don't will see shooting in a positive light and won't be susceptible to the ill informed views of others.

Poon it's not even that charge £5 for a box of carts £5 for 25 clays it's the man hours they are giving, and as most ground owners/managers are instructors it just means some time perhaps a day that's normally quiet midweek in the holidays, the other thing is target clubs 1 guest day a year rubbish and the fact it doesn't stop them using the range with 12ft/lb air 365 days a year!

If any scout or other groups in the Surrey/Hants area need a hand, count me in. I have a a short stock 20g I can bring along too. As a teacher I am CRB checked too.

For anyone encouraging youngsters, look at my post in the "Other items for sale" section re 20g cartridges.

Nick

Edited by NickS