British Open Sporting

Catamong

I don't read any other comics than "sporting shooter" and have never entered a competition apart from a couple at my local clay shoots. What is involved in entering etc? Can I just show up and shoot?

No chance of winning, but for me it would be nice to see a layout which tests the best there is and see how I do :)

I don't read any other comics than "sporting shooter" and have never entered a competition apart from a couple at my local clay shoots. What is involved in entering etc? Can I just show up and shoot?

No chance of winning, but for me it would be nice to see a layout which tests the best there is and see how I do :)

I concur. I would like to see what the grown ups have to shoot at.

I'm booked in to shoot on Saturday morning, can't wait as it should be a damn good shoot.

Ben Husthwaite has shot a 96 on the first day, Richard Faulds could only manage an 80, it must be tricky..??

Who else is competing..??

Cat.

good luck Cat, let us know how it went, its all about the day right :):lol:

Martin

Thanks guys, I'll give it my best.

The ground is a Hodnet, which is a little village about 10 miles North of Telford, Shropshire. In my opinion it's probably the best Sporting ground in the country, when considering quality of targets.

It's about a 2 hour plus drive from my house in Herts, and it's 100 English Sporting targets set over 14 stands.

The top 10% of shooters in each class go back on Sunday to shoot a 75 bird final, then the top 6 go on to a 25 bird super final.

Faulds and Digweed have already qualified for the 75 bird final, as they were previous winners, (seems a bit odd to me, but those are the rules).

Spectators are welcome, and positively encouraged, so long as their mobiles are switched off..!!

And yes, in theory you can just turn up and enter, but you need to be a CPSA member, (you can join there and then), and all entries are subject to availability. There were spaces available yesterday and today, but I'm pretty sure Friday, Saturday & Sunday mornings will be full.

All entrants are squadded in 6 man squads, which is a bit of a ******, as very often you end up starting on the hardest stand on the course, - hardly a confidence builder..!!

The forecast for Saturday is wet & windy, so I'm taking my waterproofs..!!

Cat.

Well, the weather forecast was spot on, we got the heavy rain and strong winds, and it's no joke having to shoot in those conditions wearing the mandatory safety glasses..!!

Still, the layout was truly superb, with no mega long birds, but plenty of fast, tricky angled targets that were catching people out, a really good layout, just a pity about the weather.

I didn't shoot to my best form, the only crumb of comfort is that I shot the same score as Faulds and Bidwell, i.e an 80..!!

The qualifying score for the final was 85, so missed out on going back today.

Still, it's been a good season this year for me, and I've made the England Sporting Team again, so I'm off to South Wales next week to compete in the Home International tournament.

That's always a good event, with a great banquet for all afterwards, should be fun..!!

Cat.

well shot cat! do you have any idea where the wnglish or british open are being held next year? or is that still to be decided? i AM going next year, early new years resolution if you will :good:

best of luck next week too!

ive never had any problem with specs at registered events dunganick, the cpsa recommend that all lenses conform to BS EN 166F, but that is only 'recommend'. as long as some sort of glasses are worn there isnt really a problem :angry:

Nick,

I think normal glasses would be OK, a lot of people wear plain clear industrial safety glasses that come very cheap, but make sure that you get a decent size lens otherwise the frame will keep getting in your line of vision. I have recently bought a pair of Zeiss prescription glasses designed specifically for shooting, with extra large lenses, and they are the dogs wotnots..!!

They should be, as they cost me over £200.

Paulos, the venues for all next years majors won't be announced until early next year, I hope the British stays at Hodnet, they still managed to put on a superb layout despite the appalling weather.

That simply would not have been possible at a ground like Southern Counties, because it would have been in the clouds and the wind would have made it impossible to shoot.

Cat.

That simply would not have been possible at a ground like Southern Counties, because it would have been in the clouds and the wind would have made it impossible to shoot.

Cat.

I shot southern counties when i was on holiday down that way recently, I cant explain how much of a let down this ground was. It seemed as a person wanting to shoot on a week day i was just a nuiscene and when we had alot of no birds no offer was made to knock them off the price.(they opperate a self button counter system) Plus it was windy as hell, the stands were marked up incorrectly and some birds were far too easy whilst others unshootable in the windy conditions.

I much preffered purbeck shooting school although again the dispute about no birds (again using the counter system) put a downer on it on the last day. But the quality of targets and reliability of traps was much much better. And they stocked a new hull cartridge which is pretty impressive. Comp x or X comp, not actually avalible to joe bloggs yet, but somehow purbeck had a stack of them. very Low recoil, seemed to pattern nicely, and no noticeable difference in my lead to dust distant birds. Unfortuantly i have to wait untill the midlands to get hold of any more. (and they were fibre) Now using Hull intercomps in 28g 8's fibre wad. Which are also very impressive.

Nick,

At a recent game fair, the clay shoot was fibre only and they had stacks of the Comp X cartridges. I did not try them and I am trying to get rid of the Black Gold.

Cheers

Martin

yes its odd, you can buy the fibre ones from any shops (can get plas wad ones) and they are becoming avalible as of the midlands i believe.

Very good carts.

Black gold....... very bad carts.

Give them away as raffle prizes at a local clay shoot mate.

I've recently switched from Gamebore Patriot's back to Express Super Comp's and it's definitely improved my scores.

Cat.

gamebore have lost the plot recently, I used to swear by blue diamonds, however about 1 month ago they changed the load in them and now they are heavy recoils carts (albeit good performing ones)

Having now tried the lower recoil hull range and found their down range performance to be much better than a few years ago. I think i will stick with intercomps or profibre (24g are a nice cart)

just seen the post Cat, well done, bad weather can certanly spoil the day and upset the target layout, 80 still up there though, good luck with the national team also, id love to get together next time im back and shoot a round with you.

Martin

Martin,

I'd be very pleased to shoot with you - just let me know when you're back in the UK, and I can show you some really tough Sporting targets..!!

All the best,

Cat