Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 coats of primer and tonight the first layer of undercoat. This is reminding me just how much I hate painting!!! each coat takes about 3 - 3 1/12 hours to apply!

I'm using international paints (supposed to be the best about). I thinned the primmer 12% for the first layer to help it draw in, and 5% for the second coat so it smooths out. The temperature tonight made the prekote hard work to apply. Will probably thin the next coat to help it smooth out better so as to reduce sanding.

So whats the score these days with a Punt ? Are you allowed a punt gun ?

If so where the heck do you go to buy / acquire one ? I guess it would basically be a big muzzel loader !

But how do you work out a powder, charge, wad and shot size and shot volume etc ?

Awsome skills and craftmanship there too ! :)

I know you were looking for plans at one stage. have you managed to sort some? If i can help please just let me know.

Hello Ian.

I did send you an email on 14th at 10 pm and have now found it in sent items and forwarded it.

Basicaly I was asking if you could privide me or others with printed plans on payment.

Bryan.

If so where the heck do you go to buy / acquire one ? I guess it would basically be a big muzzel loader !

But how do you work out a powder, charge, wad and shot size and shot volume etc ?

This is the next issue! As punt guns don't come up for sale too frequently and when they do they are costly, I've designed my own.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and worked as a cnc machinist and tool maker for quite some time so its not too tricky. I'm in the process of getting prices back now. If anyone else is interested in having one built please let me know as it is cheaper per gun if there is more than one made! :-)

As for shot and powder there are a few 'recipies' out there which aren't too hard to find. I'm also lucky as I have acces to other gunners for help. Wadding is normally out of oakum and shot cards are cut to suit, I'll mane a set of punches for the gun though to make it easier.

Edited by Wildfowler

Hello Ian.

I did send you an email on 14th at 10 pm and have now found it in sent items and forwarded it.

Basicaly I was asking if you could privide me or others with printed plans on payment.

Bryan.

That's no problem. I need to refine a couple of bits on them first as there were some parts that are easier to make first then draw the outcome rather then vice versa. I'll mail you shortly... Thanks for your interest!

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a close up showing the paint finish. We brushed the corners and awkward bits and rollerd the rest. I thinned the paint 10% by mass to help it flow out and reduce the brushing out required. It took about 4 1/2 hours to apply the first coat and 3 1/2 for the second. It could do with a third in a couple of places so will probably try and get that on tomorrow when i do the underside of the decks...

Edited by Wildfowler

Fantastic job,

Don't know if you get time to watch much tv (sky)

But this weeks episode of "American Guns" was about building a punt gun, I havn't seen it yet so I don't know how it turned out, it will be repeated all week

:shaun:

Nice one! I've seen a couple of episodes of that. I've just set the box to record the next repeat! Funny though as they cant use Punt Guns in America any more! One of the few things they have banned but we have kept!

I bought a fibreglass punt off an ex kent wildfowler member and it just lays in my garden upside down waiting to be resurected.

I would be interested in a puntgun to fit onto it. What calibre takes your fancy?

Martin

Hello Martin,

I'm in the process of building / having built an 1 1/4 bore capable of firing 14oz. If you're interested, making a second gun shouldn't be an issue as machining hasn't started yet...

Fantastic job,

Don't know if you get time to watch much tv (sky)

But this weeks episode of "American Guns" was about building a punt gun, I havn't seen it yet so I don't know how it turned out, it will be repeated all week

:shaun:

Hmmm, I just watched that episode. What a mess!... A truly hideous creation dubbed a punt gun...