Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mrs and I turned the punt over this morning ready to gelcoat the hull. She managed to smother her arm in glass dust so was itching all day (she was really impresed) :lookaround: .

I sanded the hull down again, washed it off and started to gelcoat. I have to say, not a great job to do. As the temperature has dropped it is like trying to roller on thick syrup that doesn't brush out properly. The gelcoat also destroys foam rolers so i got through a couple of packs to avoid leaving bits in the surface. It started to go off in the tray too making life even more difficult! Generally a c**p job but half way there now and i'm pleased with the colour.

The Mrs and I flipped over the punt this morning so i could gelcoat the top decks. I remembered that i hadn't put knees on the wash boards to ensure they are sturdy :no:

So rather than make the knees from wood which would cast shadows on the decks, I cut them out of 316 marine grade stainless which I had aquired earlier on in the project but not used yet. I cut 12 out in total 6 for each side, using a hacksaw which took an age. I linished the edges smooth and rounded the corners so they are all the same.

Thanks! The gun is slow to be honest, I just don't have the funds at the moment. It's looking to cost approx £1200 (without a stock).

So at the mo I'm just trying to get the punt done so I can use it to get about on the marsh this season and iron about any bits I'm not happy with for when I do get the gun sorted.

If anyone knows of one for reasonable money to go with my pride and joy then please let me know!

Looking good Ian.

I don't see a seat in you're punt and have recently aquired a copy of Colin Willocks book entitled The Gun-Punt Adventure.

On page185 is a sketch of a seat-***-magazine designed by Payne Gallwey. Not sure if thats any use to you,it seems that people are using West Mersea gunning punts as small

sailing boats and they appear to sit on the floor. These are open topped craft mostly built on plans by John Milbank of West Mersea. I have requested coppies of the plans.

This is a fascinating subject.

ATB-Bryan.

Looking good Ian.

I don't see a seat in you're punt and have recently aquired a copy of Colin Willocks book entitled The Gun-Punt Adventure.

On page185 is a sketch of a seat-***-magazine designed by Payne Gallwey. Not sure if thats any use to you,it seems that people are using West Mersea gunning punts as small

sailing boats and they appear to sit on the floor. These are open topped craft mostly built on plans by John Milbank of West Mersea. I have requested coppies of the plans.

This is a fascinating subject.

ATB-Bryan.

To be honest i haven't given a seat a great deal of thought yet... whilst the RPG design looks good i have heard mixed reviews and it does seem overly complex, however that said i'm sure there is logic behind the design. I shal probably make a basic box with a sloped side to lay my chest on when down behind the gun. Once i have used that for a while i can refine it to suit my particular requirements. I do need a seat though as to get the oars over the coaming i have made some rowlock blocks which lift the oars higher than would be comfortable if sitting on the floor.

As for the West Mersea punts.... I live approx 10miles from Mersea and, well they're basic... Whilst they are great fun to sail in the summer I wouldn't be strapping a 100lb gun to the front of one in rough weather in mid winter! There are no top decks at all so any water that reaches the gunwals rapidly meets your lap! But it depends on what your looking for. (i know you dont plan to shoot from yours through our various PMs) so this might be a simpler design for you to produce...