Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

as the birds were starting to move down towards the waters edge a fishing boat came right down the channel and put them all up so i was unable to stalk them.

As there were some other boats in the distance i made my way down some smaller channels to see if there were any birds sitting. A couple of the creeks flow from both sides, joining other creeks and as the tide was well on its way out some were getting pretty tight so i got out and pushed the punt through

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smaller creeks were very quiet so i headed back out into deeper water to see what was about.

I saw a familiar boat making down the main channel, upon glassing it i could see it was two friends of mine out in their motor boat, towing their punt. I pulled up along side them whilst we discussed the morning events and where the birds were sitting. As they get about with a motor boat, they were heading a further 3-4 miles out to see if the birds were over the other side of a large island... Whilst i was there they took some picture for me

Having spent all morning out, the tide had now turned so i decided to row back up the main channel and check out some other spur creeks. Unfortunately there wasn't anything about so i headed back. On route i wanted to test fire the gun whilst mounted on the boat, so i swapped out the ITX cartridge for a cheaper steel load, prepared for a shot at a mud bank approx 70 yards away and went for it!

http://youtu.be/lnWzU35vMZA

Edited by Wildfowler

The shot hit slightly low so i'll add some to the gun rest, but it raked the water well and struck up the mud bank about 5-6ft.

This one shows the density

SPLAT!

After that i headed back. On the way about 500-600 brents came right over and landed in the channel so i thought id have a little stalk for the fun of it

I got back to the launch ramp at about 4:45. I had to wait for the tide to fill the creek enough for me to get right up. By the time the tide was up, the mrs had arrived to give me a hand getting it all out again. Buy the time we'd messed about we got back at about 6:15ish with the punt looking pretty mucky!

i spent a further couple of hours cleaning everything and sorting the gun.

This is the remains of the cartridge

What loads are you using Wildfowler? I presume you are loading ITM/ITX?

I've loaded both ITX and steel. Both seem to pattern well but for actual shots i'll use ITX as long as i can afford it. Steel still performed surprisingly well!

I know it may be some messing to start but how about compresed card mash for the cup, wouldn't take much for you to make a mould.

Thread of the year mate

All the best

Karl.

I've used hardboard as shot buffers and that doesn't survive the shot... not sure how mash would get on?

Thanks for the comment!

Excellent stuff, if you can you should get a clip of the gun firing :good:

i cant get it to embed but i did put a link to one?!? Here it is again incase

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Now a few silly questions:

The recoil seem less than I'd expected, especially seeing the size of rope you used. Does the punt move backwards in the water as well?

Do you "push" row or "pull" row the punt, I'm guessing that you want to see where you're going?

This may be considered heresy, but have you considered an electric outboard?

Again, thanks for sharing.

The gun probably recoiled an inch to an inch an a half but you don't want it to go more than that as your face is only a few inches further behind it!

The boat does hurl back sharply but again only a small distance, I was kneeling when I fired that as I didn't fancy putting it to the test with my head there and the boat slid underneath me when I fired but less than an inch. In all it went back about 2ff but the wind and tide are all affecting that at the same time so depends really.

I pull row if I'm going for speed or distance and push row if I'm coming up to a blind bend so I can see what's around the corner - just incase.

When setting to the birds I either pole or paddle depending on water depth.

You cannot persue wildfowl from a motorised craft, so if I were to go down that route I'd have to get the outboard in the punt before setting off on a stalk and space is limited! Over the summer I'm going to make a bracket for an outboard for fishing from it so I'll see how that goes!

I got back to the launch ramp at about 4:45. I had to wait for the tide to fill the creek enough for me to get right up. By the time the tide was up, the mrs had arrived to give me a hand getting it all out again. Buy the time we'd messed about we got back at about 6:15ish with the punt looking pretty mucky!

attachicon.gifIMG_2946.JPG

i spent a further couple of hours cleaning everything and sorting the gun.

This is the remains of the cartridge

attachicon.gifIMG_3198.JPG

At last it looks like a real punt! well done wildfowler do you now agree it's the most exciting thing you can do with your clothes on?

I'm very interested in your steel shot loads it's something I've considered but never done.

May I suggest you tighten up your back check rope a tad more to take out a bit more recoil from your breaching rope.

Happy New Year

HB.

May I suggest you tighten up your back check rope a tad more to take out a bit more recoil from your breaching rope.

HB.

I had hung off the rope to try and pre stretch it and tightened up the back check rope as hard as I could but the shot certainly stretched it more! Hopefully the rope will have less stretch for future shots!

Edited to say, in hindsight, I should probably have towed a car or something similar to pre stretch the rope. I used cable ties on one of the eyes to make both adjustment and removing the rope from the punt easier. Now the rope has stretched I'll re set that side...

Edited by Wildfowler

Doesn't look so big now it's mounted... Looking forward to the first live shots!

:lol: it is still 9ft long and weighs 80lbs... :lol:

Not much left of that cartridge. Did it travel up the barrel?

No it all stayed in the chamber, it's where the powder burns through the paper so when it's extracted the head comes away and pulled bits of it apart.