Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this earlier for the first time ever, well done mate it's a fantastic read. I wish I had a fraction of the skill and knowledge that you must posses to of made this. It's amazing that someone could make a boat to that standard on their own but then to set about making the gun and tools to make the gun is just something else, especially to high level that your builds been made to.

Like everyone else I'd love to see a documentary/program on this build or read a book about it. Do you think you could make a normal shotgun.

Oh and well done on finding such an amazingly understanding and supportive wife to let do this and even help you on your little project she must be special, mine moans if I speak about shooting!!

Edited by bicykillgaz

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting, been a busy time and lots of fowling to be done!

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, much appreciated!

What a fantastic job you have made of the rigg, could i ask what type of rope you are using and the diameter? i have got my decks onto the double punt so waiting for warmer weather for the painting :)

The rope I used is 30mm polyhemp (or similar). gives and authentic look and feel but is waterproof and doesn't rot...

Since the first outing, I've made a box for the punt. It holds a series of waterproof plastic containers with the punt gun cartridges, tools, spares and cripple stopper cartridges, plus binoculars, and the most important thing, lunch!

It makes rowing, paddling and poling far more comfortable!

I went for a trip on Friday with a friend of mine. He has wanted to go punt gunning for the past 30 years or so and has shown a great interest in the build, so in a bid to make one of his ambitions happen, i invited him along.

We launched at 7:30 in a rapidly ebbing tide, so much so that to get out we had to push across a large mud pan. After cleaning up we got in the punt and set off.

He wanted to punt rather than gun so we set the punt up for the different weight distribution and made out to sea. After a couple of practice stalks he was getting the hang of it. by the third or fourth stalk we were getting within 60 yards of the birds but they were skittish and none presented themselves well for a shot.

At slack tide i met some friends who were out punt gunning, we had a chat and discussed where the birds were, or weren't as the case was and went our separate ways. On the way back we went up some side channels to see if there were any birds about. We saw some packs of 30s and 50s, none of them were tight enough to warrant a shot but were worthwhile stalking for the practice. The first pack we got to within 50 yards and the last we got to within 30 yards, all more than close enough for a shot, so we were both chuffed to bits... On the last stalk 5 teal flew in and landed within 10 yards of us, sat there for a few seconds until we were with 5 yards and they moved on... it was a great trip.

Although no shot was made it was great to get out and have so many successful stalks!

This was just before hauling out...

Looking good Wildfowler!

Have you thought about putting a seal on the lid as an extra waterproofing measure?

:lol: yeah, i've just run out! and i couldn't find any suitable latches to keep the lid down, especially with the hinge in the middle... :hmm: Edited by Wildfowler

tha looks like thee arms are ready to fall off Wildfowler lol ,the good thing is when you go out next time you may push into to em on the first stalk and it wil be one of the best days of your life and I hope you get your shot, it made me hart flutter and you where only test firing, when we see you knock a few birds over i'll be jumping over the side of the couch and grabbing my criple stopper , some body said it was the best fun you can get with yer clothes ? if I could do it again i'd do it without me clothes on but i'd have to be on first name terms with me punt man lol .

well done and all the best Tony..

:lol: that's my mate who came with me... He had been on shift all night and came straight out punting with me so was feeling a bit worse for wears!

He's the only one who is keen enough to come out!

Wildfowler if i was bit younger and if I could bend a bit more (screws) I'd be with thee at the drop of a hat ,there's plenty on here that will take you up if they want to get best experience in the sport of wildfowling !

all the best and good luck ..Tony

Edited by derbyduck

Sorry for the delay in posting, been a busy time and lots of fowling to be done!

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, much appreciated!

The rope I used is 30mm polyhemp (or similar). gives and authentic look and feel but is waterproof and doesn't rot...

Thanks for the advice on the rope i have got myself some 36mm polyhemp for the gun, have you or anyone heard of a film that was made in the 70's called "the punt gunners" ?

it had James Robertson justice in it, and for the life of me i can't seem to find it.

i have searched all old film archives but no joy.

all the best...ian :)

Thanks for the advice on the rope i have got myself some 36mm polyhemp for the gun, have you or anyone heard of a film that was made in the 70's called "the punt gunners" ?

it had James Robertson justice in it, and for the life of me i can't seem to find it.

i have searched all old film archives but no joy.

all the best...ian :)

I've never been able to find it online, but i have seen it. Has Lawrence Thompson in it as well

• 1 month later...