Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi Wildfowler, just a quick question what thickness ply did you use for the floor boards in the punt?? tried 9mm but very unstable and would need lots of support the only thing with 18mm is will it add too much weight? i would really appreciate your advice.

cheers..Winchester

Hi winchester, I used 12mm. Like you, I thought 9mm would be too thin and 18mm would be too heavy.

12mm works well but it wouldn't hurt to use 18mm. Whilst it is heavier, as long as the boards come out you can still lift the punt about, and the heavier boards will make it sit lower in the water and probably be more stable.

All that said, depending on the shape of the hull, the difference in weight will be tiny compared to the amount of stuff you'll take out punting, so the difference in how it sits will be insignificant...

Thread was a good read

And I thought the punt and gun looked super

I did my apprenticeship as a manual machinist moved onto catia cad cam but then went back on the machines as a manual / cnc machinist nothing matches the satisfaction of actually making something

Look forward to your next project

We throw away materials and cutters ( carbide ) that would keep most shops going so if you have any special requirements for your next build drop me a pm and I'll see what can be done

Regards

R33SY

Hello R33SY

Thanks for the comments and your offer. I might just take you up on that!

I wanted to have the 8 bore well underway by now but have been tied up making punt gun cartridges (I'll post some pics soon)

and with drawing the architectural plans for my extension... A bit of a pain but saved a fortune in design fees! :)

I've thought about a workshop at home but all the equipment at work makes life easy

My last project was a miniature jet turbine at the moment I am building a couple of fender telecaster guitars ( I can't play)

But they seemed a good project easy to model and program at home and run on the cnc mills at work

We have just thrown away about 3000 good imperial cutters from a department closing down !

R33SY

It was 66mm turbine based on a kj 66 but modified to utilize methods and materials i had at work

if you look on ebay for kj66 and search for sold item mine was the one with te red cowl !

Full electric start etc

What we throw away is criminal but we can keep everthing as not enough room

R33SY

Then i turned the bar around and did the same on the other end, making 2 cartridges back to back.

One cartridge had an overall length of 12 1/2" and the other 9 1/2". The longer cartridge is the full length of the chamber enabling the gunner to load a full cartridge. The shorter one is so that a charge of wrapped shot can be placed into the end of the cartridge.

When i was drilling the second one i managed to strip the thread in the tailstock! It was on the way out, i just hadn't got round to making a new nut. The problem was, it was a twin helix, left handed buttress thread... everything in a thread that is a pain in the ****! I spent a few hours making a new one and i was away again!

Then I cut it in half and turned the head. These have an extractor lug on them, so the breach plug has an undercut 'U' in it, so the lug locates, enabling the cartridge to be extracted when the breach plug is undone.

Some pics of the pair completed

Then I set about making some cartridge heads for another friend of mine.

The same process but not as long. These have cartridge paper wrapped around them to make the cartridge body. The textured finish is to give the glue a key to stick to. I had an original to match...

Edited by Wildfowler

Unfortunately my chuck was getting a bit knackered meaning i had to pack it out, this resulted in me ripping the job out of the chuck whun putting the radiused undercut in, wrecking the pair!

So that evening i ordered a new chuck! The last couple of days I've spent the evenings making them again

Edited by Wildfowler

The cases can be used indefinitely. They are machined to very close tolerances to match the chamber so they don't expand and stretch.

The 1 3/4" cartridges will fire 38-40oz of shot. The 1 1/2" cartridges fire 20oz each but they are for a double barrelled gun so the total discharge is 40oz.

Will you just give it a rest!!!!!

Not only do you write possibly the best thread we have ever had on here,

You build your own gun/punt/cartridges.

We now find out you designed and built your own jet bloody engine!!!!!

We members are starting to feel just a tad inadequate

Just saying.......

Not jealous or ANYTHING!!

:shaun: