Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

What a fantastic thread! You're a very lucky man to have an understanding wife who even helps!!

Good luck, can't wait to see it finished!

Dave

Like all good things... it comes at a cost! I spent all day Saturday (once i got back from morning flight! :D ) sorting out stuff for her horse!

But seriously I know I'm a lucky man :friends:. We've been together since we were 14, we've got 2 great kids, we've rebuilt our house from a brick shell (much to her dismay), then the garage from scratch (by then she was keen to get me out of the house) and now the punt, (i think she's heard how dangerous they can be :lol: )

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning I spent a couple of hours making the wash board extensions. All of them will be glassed and twisted into shape then gelcoated to hold the curvature. They will all be mounted with brass hinges and latched into place when up.

These are the forward ones.

Edited by Wildfowler

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the paint was drying again, i went and collected the scaffold poles to make the trailer out of.

I cut them to length and clamped them together in the afternoon. The trailer is telescopic, so i don't have to store a 22' trailer. When colapsed it should be approx 12'. (my new shooting wagon in the background! ;) this took up all day tuesday as it needed a service! cost me a day on the punt but awsome bit of kit!)

I painted the top side of the floor boards this morning. I mixed in some sand blasting grit to give the paint an anti slip effect. I washed it through this morning and dried it off in the oven before mixing it in.

Now that the antiluce fittings were screwed in i could undercoat the rowlock blocks and hang them up.

I am truely in awe of this project

Thanks... I'm pleased someone is, my wife is starting to get pi**ed of with it now! in fairness i worked on it from 7:30 this morning till 8:45 tonight. I've set a deadline of the weekend to get it in the water, otherwise it will drag on and on... i'll bring it home again and modify whatever needs it...

Are there no ends to you’re talents!?! I can’t believe you are making the trailer as well!

An amazing project! I have been watching a series on discovery called "dream boats" I know nothing about boats or anything slightly nautical but this thread has inspired me, I might make a canoe :hmm:

Have you thought about using thole pin outriggers instead of wooden blocks?

With their greater width they enable the use of a significantly longer oar which gives far greater mechanical advantage when rowing.

Will you be using the RPG style of sculling oar mounting? They are in the wrong place since RPG himself could`nt scull.

Have you thought about using an offset iron sculling crutch which is far more effective.

Your quality of workmanship is truly outstanding.

Nice job.

Have you thought of a name? (Do punts *have* names?) If not, then I'd like to suggest "The Dreadnought". :)

Regards,

Mark.

Not yet. I've had some interesting suggestions from some 'friends' none of which im about to stamp on the side of my punt! :lol: One being 'The Hungry Fu**er'...

My mrs calls it Sheila as in the other woman as i spend so much time out there!

All suggestions are welcome!

Edited by Wildfowler

it looks as though you know your stuff with metal as well, looking good, from an ex welder/fabricator

I served my apprenticeship as a precision engineer / tool maker whilst getting my degree in mechanical engineering so metal work is more familiar to me than wood work to be honest. Metal is much easier to work with if you have the right tools (which i don't at home!) as if it goes wrong, most of the time you can weld it back, with wood its not so easy!