Model Electric Boats

Fisherman Mike

I have a 1/8 scale 46 ins Fairy Huntsman wooden hulled model which I first built when a teen in the 70,s

I’ve resurrected it from the loft of my parents’ house and I am in the process of refitting and refurbishing it.

Originally it was powered by a Merco 60 9.5cc Engine but that’s very messy and a bit dated now.

I want to go electric but haven’t a clue on what equipment I need, what power source, battery pack, etc. Time as flown and things have changed somewhat.

With the Merco the boat was pretty quick and used to plane at full throttle the way they are supposed to so I obviously need some electric power pack that will give similar performance and a sensible run time.

Can anyone who makes model Electric boats or even aircraft give me any advice or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

post-427-0-37786400-1344936855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Could I suggest looking in Yellow Pages for a local model shop? They are usually very happy to help. Either that or contact the Model Dockyard in Cornwall. They know what they are about and will be happy to give you advice and supply what you need.

www.model-dockyard.com

Nick

Had this and the mtb from the same source airokits I think ,,,are you near to South Cerney lakes?? there used to be a model boat club that did all sorts of boating there

If they are still there may be worth a visit you can bet one of the second childhood there have done it or similar

Giantshark web site are a good source of motors ,speed controllers and lipo batteries

Nowt wrong with old technology by the way tho still messy,,,,,,,, strip the merco and gently simmer in a car boot slow cooker filled with enough anti-freeze to cover bits overnight and it will come up like new

utube may be your friend ,,, when you electronize it - it will be lighter and more responsive ,,,,do not overlook the fact that your radio control set may well be fubard

Going to get expensive lol,,,,,but an idea of cost is (from giantshark) Brushless motor £20-£30,,,speed controller £40 ,,,,lipo batteries £50 (for 2) battery charger £40,,,3 channel radio control set £30-£80 for new 2.4 ghz set ,,,All ish prices

If you get the motor/prop/speed controller combination right ,,,,20-30 minutes run time per battery ,,,,use I battery whilst other recharging through your car battery and the correct battery charger

Expect to pay twice the prices above if you buy from a model shop

Appropriate fuel for the merco is now £16-£18 a gallon,,,,,,,,,,,And YOU think petrol and costly :lookaround:

I fly electric planes now for my contrbution to second childhood toys,,,so far resisted temptation to get into model boats again :shaun:

Grandchildren are a good get home free pass from she who must be obeyed :innocent:

harrypen

Edited by harrypen

Buy watercooled Speed controller with forward reverse capabillity and brushless motor to replace your watercooled merco (which if cleaned up and in good running order may well be worth £40-£80 to the retro boys) :hmm:

harrypen

Many thanks harrypen ( and Others) for your replies. Thats a great help...yes I am very close to Cerney I also fish there regularly and used to run the boat there with the school modelling club 40 odd years ago. The Merco is in VGC Ive stripped it completely and cleaned it in solvent, steeping it for about 2 weeks...its come out like new. I had to remake the cooling jacket gasket and get a new plug but Im sure someone will buy it.

Your right of course about a second childhood, though modelmaking has never really left me and I still have several gliders, a twin Enya powered Mossie somewhere in my Dads lofts. I also bought a ex display Hobbyzone super club recently at a much reduced price...stripped off all the cheap decals, sanded out the polystyrene and am in the process of painting it... I might consider going brushless and lipo on that too. Its strange isnt it when you are young and fascinated by models you stare lovingly at them in the shop window but cannot afford them...When you get older and have the money interest has waned somewhat.

To be honest Ive had a guts full of pigeon shooting over the years and have shot more pigeons than I care to mention so now im looking for something a bit more challenging and enjoyable in my Middle years. Ive just resurrected air rifle shooting again as well and forgot how skilled and fulfilling passtime it can be hunting with one. The 3lb Roach is also still on top of my list. :lol: Ive had plenty 2.10 2.12 from a private stretch of the Bristol Avon but cant quite crack that extra couple of ounces..

Thanks again for your reply im just about to tap into the websites mentioned.

When its all finished i will post up some photos...

Have you any experience of the Super Cub?

regards

hi mike, i use pegasus models in norwich for all my heli and car bits mate, they'll be interested in that engine too as the owner collects vintage engines. as has been said lipo batts and brushless motors are the in thing, i have a couple of cars, one of them tuned to do 70 ish mph, it has a traxxas 2300kva motor running on 3350 mah 3s lipo batts, you will need to protect the batts from water though, and the higher the mah output the longer the run time. the number is 01603 419515

hi mike, i use pegasus models in norwich for all my heli and car bits mate, they'll be interested in that engine too as the owner collects vintage engines. as has been said lipo batts and brushless motors are the in thing, i have a couple of cars, one of them tuned to do 70 ish mph, it has a traxxas 2300kva motor running on 3350 mah 3s lipo batts, you will need to protect the batts from water though, and the higher the mah output the longer the run time. the number is 01603 419515

Much obliged... Im in Spixworth in a couple of weeks time to vist my sister in law..we are going to take in the City game in the afternoon so i might call in the shop in the morning

Cheers.

I think it is Anglia model centre who now make these kits, my grandfather made there demonstrator boat for the shop, he hasn't moved over to brushless yet but I believe he ran his huntsman on a graupner 600 bb motor with a 7 cell nicad pack, I'm currently working away but when I get home on Monday I'll try and get some picks up.

Blast from the past....

I have a Huntsman in the attic with a 21cc Ohlsson & Rice petrol engine in it!! I had it when I was a kid and it was unreal. :yahoo:

Massive performance and I loved it that much I still have it.

Reading this has got me into thinking of resurrecting it . It hasn't been used for over 30+ years!! I wonder if it'll work?

Blast from the past....

I have a Huntsman in the attic with a 21cc Ohlsson & Rice petrol engine in it!! I had it when I was a kid and it was unreal. :yahoo:

Massive performance and I loved it that much I still have it.

Reading this has got me into thinking of resurrecting it . It hasn't been used for over 30+ years!! I wonder if it'll work?

There only one way to find out......Go for it