12V 7amp batteries discharging.

Cranfield

If a 12v 7amp battery is placed in the back of a truck with "stuff" dumped on it, will it discharge itself ?

If clothing is touching both terminals, will that discharge the battery, albeit slowly ?

I have a canvas carry case with a shoulder strap for my rotary battery and had another one for the spare, but I recently lost the one for the spare.

Since then the spare battery has been laying loose in the back of the truck.

On the couple of times I have had to use it, it seems to be very low (every spare, not just one specific battery).

There are 5 batteries on the go and I keep them all fully charged.

I have a number of chargers, including an Optimate and there is nothing wrong with the batteries.

Will placing the spare battery in a plastic ice cream container make any difference ?

If a 12v 7amp battery is placed in the back of a truck with "stuff" dumped on it, will it discharge itself ?

If clothing is touching both terminals, will that discharge the battery, albeit slowly ?

I have a canvas carry case with a shoulder strap for my rotary battery and had another one for the spare, but I recently lost the one for the spare.

Since then the spare battery has been laying loose in the back of the truck.

On the couple of times I have had to use it, it seems to be very low (every spare, not just one specific battery).

There are 5 batteries on the go and I keep them all fully charged.

I have a number of chargers, including an Optimate and there is nothing wrong with the batteries.

Will placing the spare battery in a plastic ice cream container make any difference ?

Yes ..... ANYTHING that is capable of conducting electricty could, and would discharge the battery. I've had the same when I dumped a wet coat on mine and forgot about it.

If your truck is anything like mine theres normally all manner of soggy bags, coats, cartridge bags etc etc in there. Any one of these is a potential source for possible battery discharge. If it happens to be something particularly conductive like steel it could ruin the battery or in the worst case explode.

The plastic ice cream carton is a good option also the insulated terminal connectors.

DaveL