power supply for 12volt caly trap

sixhills 69

Hi Guys hope some one out there can point me in the right direction i have just purchased 12volt automatic clay trap i understand it needs some type of deep cycle leisure battery to run it.

The trap will be just out side the main stable so there is mains power is there any way i can purchase something other than a deep cell battery so i can then run it from the 240v mains there must be somthine that changes the 240 to 12 volt Dc

cheers sixhills

We use 85ah leisure batteries (about 50 of them), cost at present new £48 each plus vat and will throw several thousand clays per charge

we still have batteries bought in 2004

You are more likely to lose a battery damaged than worn out

Doubt if you can economically run a trap off an average transformer as the initial current requirement of 12v motor is high about 30-50 amps

best of luck

kermit

We use 85ah leisure batteries (about 50 of them), cost at present new £48 each plus vat and will throw several thousand clays per charge

we still have batteries bought in 2004

You are more likely to lose a battery damaged than worn out

Doubt if you can economically run a trap off an average transformer as the initial current requirement of 12v motor is high about 30-50 amps

best of luck

kermit

Thanks Kermit that make sence i tried to use a 12volt transformer from a camping fridge and it didn't work but it was not pusshing 35-50 amps. It may just be easier to get leisure battery and trickle charger

A power supply that I used to use on Amateur Radio Equipment would do the job fine. The output of the power supply is about 40 amp and I know that the traps are usually about the same. But like someone has already mentioned there will be a large cost to get hold of such a power supply. Ebay may be able to help here though.

I don't understand why some of you keep mentioning "transformers". These will only supply *AC*. Does the trap not require *DC*? Or am I missing something here?

Regards,

Mark.

Yes, I'm sure it will require a DC supply. Therefore it would require a transformer to get the voltage down to the correct level, with a rectifier to change it to DC.

The simplest and cheapest option is the leisure battery and battery charger solution.

It makes it much easier to place the trap anywhere you want to and you will be surprised how much use you can get out of the battery before it needs recharging.

A local clay club I helped out at charge their batteries after every other shoot and each battery powers a trap for about 1000 clays before being recharged. They use solar panels for charging and charge half the batteries at a time.

Get the biggest capacity battery you can comfortable move about.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

We use standard 85ah car batteries with cheapy halfords chargers hooked up to them. Leisure batteries are more expensive but designed to charge & discharge fully. If you are putting a charge back into them as you use them, car batteries are fine. We are using 10 year old unsealed ones and they don't miss a beat as long as you top up the fluids regularly

If its only for occaisional use an old car battery will be fine but if you end up buying one go for the deep cycle leisure batteries as these are designed for a duty cycle where they get charged fully then discharged then charged again where a car battery is designed to topped up with charge by the alternator on a regular basis. Buy online for a best price

Edited by Canis