Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

I know this sounds a little (wacked), but several of the other shooters claim to have seen this large puma or mountain lion, in their lamps (eyes reflect orange), Now im a little skeptical of this and don't want to look a **** for posting about it... :lol:

But one of the guys has got this idea into his head that he is going to bring the thing down with a 22 rimfire, with an Eye shot. I personaly feel this is a rather stupid thing to attempt given the calibur & accuracey limitations of his rifle :lol: , but he refuses to listen. I have tried to explain to him why this would be the biggest mistake of his life. but to no avail :lol: I don't want to see the man get eaten. :lol:

So I, wondered if some of you more experienced shooters might give some feed back that I can print off for him to read.

Regards mimic.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, firstly if it is a big cat its protected so you can't shoot it. Secondly if it is a puma or that size thats not enough gun.

It is a stupid idea to be honest.

Mind, SS was looking through my binocs the other day down on a shoot, we were clearing mr hoppy for the keeper and he tells me he's seen a puma. Was a bloody moggy. It was early and we'd had a load of coffee :lol:

I did a thread on this a while back,

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...topic=11967&hl=

as some gamekeepers in Suffolk could not stop the leaked out info that a big cat had been shot on one of the estates. I got it from a very good source, it got a mixed reaction, but I for one am convinced there are the odd big cats about, I was fishing at southwold Suffolk a while back and a kangaroo came out the bushes in front if me and mrs p on its way to who knows where!!! In bloddy Suffolk so why not a big cat I say

pavman

If any of you have ever read anything like "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Hathaway Capstick, or actually shot dangerous game, you'll be aware that you really need to use enough gun. If there REALLY is a puma to contend with, I reckon that you'd want to be thinking of a .338 or .375H&H to start with.

Shooting at a big cat with a .22RF is asking to be turned into pate.... You really don't want it to get up after the first shot and turn on you and your little rimfire, hence the requirement for a heavy-calibre rifle.

Shooting at a big cat with a .22RF is asking to be turned into pate.... .

You put it so much more elequently than I did :lol: ,

but he says "Lad your to in experienced to know what your talking about" :lol:

Im hoping this feedback will convince him, so that I don't come across his half eaten corpse somewhere on the shoot, with a rather large seriously p****d off big cat near by :lol:

The thought of a p***** off, wounded and adrenaline-pumped puma lurking in the nearby English countryside would not be a good one. You'd need two experienced hunters to stand even a remote chance of killing the cat, and living through the experience. Capstick, as mentioned above, had a specific leopard kit bag containing things like throat guards, slash-proof body armour and SSG buckshot. And I can't imagine that a puma would be more forgiving than an angry leopard.

You wouldn't have to pay a trophy fee if you shot it in your back garden though, although the Police would be all over you like a rash.

Edited by henry d

Whats slightly more worrying is this lad has an FAC and thinks like this :lol:

Well hes not a lad, hes actualy rather old I would say 70+ and claims to have been shooting 50 years. :lol:

he called me an in experienced lad, after i stated.

"if you shoot that thing with that, its going to rip you ten new ***'s before you can blink."

I just queried this with a relative who is an experienced dangerous game hunter. He nearly choked with laughter at the prospect of a .22RF being used, what with the majestic muzzle energy that calibre has. Even on a cat the size of a lynx, you're in trouble. With a puma, the consensus is that you definitely need a large centrefire, preferably a double rifle for an immediate insurance shot. You want the muzzle energy in the mid-1000s, not in thr 100-250 ft/lb bracket of a rimmie. Particularly if you are a septugenarian with slow reactions and degrading eyesight.

However, this all relies on the puma/big cat actually materialising in the English countryside. Unlikely, me thinks.

Only 10 new *****! If he's luck.

A couple of years ago peole in a pub garden that is very close to our shoot reported seeing a "big", black cat stalking rabbits in a nearby field. The next week it was in the local rag again, rubbish photo included. Spooky.

A couple of weeks later we were shooting and saw the "big" cat across the fields. When we got to that part of the shoot it was still about, a very big black feral cat. Its not been sighted since but thats hardly surprising.

I think its entirely plausable that they are out there and thinking about it in the southeast they have a reasonable chance of surviving just fine. Problem is until one is caught conclusvely on camera this debate of do they don't they will go on until the cows come home.

Unless it had caused issues why would you want to shoot it anyway :lol:

I believe Frank brought one down years ago with a .22 hornet. :lol:

I also know of pumas being shot with a .223 when certain individuals were lamping foxes. Personally if one was close enough (very close) and I was with someone who runs slower than me and had a shottie with heavy carts and lots of them then maybe I would slot a couple in it's head then more in it's chest.

I may as well make something of my life and become the first statistic of someone being killed by a wild big cat in Britain this Millenium. :lol::lol:

FM :lol:

FTS, I really doubt that a 12g #6 cartridge would stop a big cat. I really doubt it. Would you want to take that chance?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Pin, the cow issue is quite relevant: if there are big cats lurking out there, why aren't there regular reports of livestock being mauled? A puma could easily pull down a foal/calf, so why isn't the shooting/farming press riddled with reports of cat-related incidents. No half-eaten livestock (no, I don't mean foxes giving sheep lovebites...) No spoors/trails? No unquestionable photographic evidence of a large cat? Answer: because it's all *********.

Unless it had caused issues why would you want to shoot it anyway :lol:

I can see such an animal causing issues in the British countryside with every Tom **** or Harry with a B2 or rimmie going after it and wounding it making it more dangerous and more likely to go for easier prey like sheep, pets or even the young child playing in the garden could be tempting to a hungry lame big cat... :lol:

I think at close range in the head and chest with suitable choking and shot it could be brought down with a shottie but wouldn't openly advocate it with some no. 6's. :lol:

FM :lol: