Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certainly not suggesting anyone is fiddling with photographs, or anything similar.

The angles and the light on photographs can accidently distort size and perspective, very easily.

When photographing an item where size is relevant, it is best to place a ruler, or tape measure alongside showing the size clearly.

Whilst this is difficult to do with unplanned photographs, its easy to do with plaster casts and the like.

I have seen big badger prints, which are amplified by a heavy animal and soft ground, this has the effect of the animal extending and "blurring" its footprint, making it look larger than normal.

My explanation may not be too clear, so try it with your wellingtons, next time you come across some soft ground, you will see what I mean.

Badger's have a **** pit that they use every time. I'm about to go out fishing now with a mate but will put a pic of one up tomorrow. :good:

FM :yp:

Intereting , the **** pit as you put it, It did seem to all be in the same area.

As for the size of the print, two hands one of my freind (gloved) one mine our hands are of normal size. The Black lighter in the photograph, should give a clear indication of size its mesures 8cm in length (80mm) and is 2.2cm(22mm) wide If you bear with for one moment i will upload a photo of the lighter next to a tape mesure

I am certainly not suggesting anyone is fiddling with photographs, or anything similar.

The angles and the light on photographs can accidently distort size and perspective, very easily.

When photographing an item where size is relevant, it is best to place a ruler, or tape measure alongside showing the size clearly.

Whilst this is difficult to do with unplanned photographs, its easy to do with plaster casts and the like.

I have seen big badger prints, which are amplified by a heavy animal and soft ground, this has the effect of the animal extending and "blurring" its footprint, making it look larger than normal.

My explanation may not be too clear, so try it with your wellingtons, next time you come across some soft ground, you will see what I mean.

I agree with your comments about soft ground.

The print in Mimics photos is "heart shaped", has big toes and shows no sign of elongation or "smudging".

A Badger print is more elongated and with smaller toes (as shown in the pic you provided the link to).

If only I still had my Clarks Pathfinder shoes, I could give you a definitive answer instantly!!!!

(Old Farts will know what I am talking about..young farts, don't ask). :good:

Let the idiot (assuming he's not micky taking) shoot it I say. We need proof positive that these things exist here in the UK (and I for one have yet to be convinced). If he does do it enough damage to get it well rilled up he'll probably be famous...as the first and only hb to have been mauled by a wild living big cat in the UK :good:

On another note about what might stop/kill a big cat I shoot in SA with a PH who kills around 10/12 leopard every year (licensed to protect his cattle etc) and he swears by a 12 bore and BB's. Reckons in the close dense bush where he hunts you don't get to see the animal until it's close and then it's probably hunting you :good:

Showed the cast of the print to an expert today, they said its a puma. :blink:

I need a new shoot!

Who was he, a proffessor from the worthing east essex school for the blind, Mimic, you are so full of ****, I think the closest you will come to a big cat is on the net

:no: sad.... you know if i didnt know better id say you were jelouse :drinks:

Ooh...... MIAOW....

(Sorry could'nt help myself)

I am with magman and henry d on this one looks like badger poo

I have to say the print looks like a dog! just ticks all the boxes in my head!

Been reading this thread for a while and the real reason I am posting is as a lot of you spend lots of time out in the field how many of you really believe there are big cats out lose in the uk ?

Rob

I am with magman and henry d on this one looks like badger poo

I have to say the print looks like a dog! just ticks all the boxes in my head!

Been reading this thread for a while and the real reason I am posting is as a lot of you spend lots of time out in the field how many of you really believe there are big cats out lose in the uk ?

Rob

Why don't you go ask the police and a few reputable gun sport shops :blink: before making asumptions i was just as skeptical at first..... I stupidly ridiculed someone for saying they were out there and was made to eat a rather large helping of humble pie....

Hey mimic you aren't one of those people accosted by aliens are you? :blink:

Whole thing smacks of nessie to me and until someone presents proof positive (how about a dead body on the 9 0 clock news etc) I'm gonna remain sceptical. With all the keepers and you lot out in the countryside every night don't you think somewhere someone would have shot one by now?

Hey mimic you aren't one of those people accosted by aliens are you? :blink:

Whole thing smacks of nessie to me and until someone presents proof positive (how about a dead body on the 9 0 clock news etc) I'm gonna remain sceptical. With all the keepers and you lot out in the countryside every night don't you think somewhere someone would have shot one by now?

Do you ever read the news?

The survey recorded 5,931 apparent sightings of big cats, 332 of wild boars and 3,389 of sharks since 2000 - with figures expected to rise.

Now then il just go fetch the humble pie for you both...