collered dove nightmare

pboro shot

had a really frustrating day today arrived at a large field of rape stubble had a fair few woodys coming and going so i set up they trickled in for around a few hours then like someone released 100s of collered doves coming in thick and fast the odd woody came in but mainly doves walked them of a few times just to give woodys a little room even landed almost straight away after id shot, never seen so many together before anyone else had similar wish i was more of a wiz with videos would have made interesting watching

i was out myself pigeon shooting over rape stubble saturday soon as i put the decoys out they all came not only a few 100s of them they are not very gun shy either

they even sat in a tree i was under as it was a very hot day i think they did help to bring the woodys in aswell that helped

if it were the odd few i wouldnt mind but there were hundreds there was hardly room for woodys to land ,yes there on the general licence but not the best sport very easy to shoot and not put of by movement like woodys even land still when there mates are getting shoot ,plus no food value

If they are on the general licence and eating crops they have to go, surely?

Sorry, but if there are 100s then my brother-in-law would want them off his farm, pronto.

As far as I am concerned its vermin control first, sporting shot second :yes:

They are another bird that seems to have quite a few broods a year, due to the milder weather.

We have three pair nesting in our garden and they are all sitting on their third batch of eggs this year.

I must confess that I don't shoot them, as I don't see them out on the fields very much.