Rabbit snaring

Stealth Stalker

After asking about snaring on this forum I was steered to another hunting forum by members of PW

I asked a few questions & was told in no uncertain terms to get a DVD by the master of snaring, this DVD gives a step by step guide to making your own snare from scratch & also the correct way of setting them & where.

After watching the DVD a few times, I had a go at making some, & set 5 out on rabbit runs near me one night last week. I went back early in the morning to check the snares & was chuffed to bits to find a large bunny caught in one.

post-2169-1157061354.jpg

I've since had a rabbit each night this week & had the luck to see the snare in action last night, as I was approaching the run of 8 snares, a rabbit bolted from the stubble back to the warren & was caught at full pelt :lol:

Amazing to see them in action, I'm now hooked on snaring, it take a great deal of fieldcraft and there's a great sense of achievment, cathing rabbits after making them yourself.

Cheers Stealth Stalker

Guest konings

Stealth Stalker,why do you not shoot them?? :lol::lol::lol:

This is a terrible dead of the rabbits,if you shoot the rabbits its a few seconds

and they are dead to.This must be prohibited,it's not honest to do this, :lol:

If you cannot shoot them, let them to run then. :lol::lol:

KONINGS

Stealth Stalker,why do you not shoot them?? :lol::lol::lol:

This is a terrible dead of the rabbits,if you shoot the rabbits its a few seconds

and they are dead to.This must be prohibited,it's not honest to do this, :lol:

If you cannot shoot them, let them to run then. :lol::lol:

KONINGS

Konings,

There are many areas in England that are not suitable to shoot on, and their, rabbit populations are very high, to the point of being epademic. Without the control and thinning of these populations the chance of mixy occurring is ten fold, and that is a long painful death. Snares work well in these areas and will kill quickly when set correctly. They are also legel both in Great Britain and in most of Canada.

Stealth Stalker has shown great dedication to the sport and respect to the rabbit by taking his time and learning the correct ways to proceed by the one man most of us consider to be a master of the wires.

NTTF

Guest konings

HI,NEW TO THE FLOCK

THANKS FOR EXPLAINING MY QUESTION. :lol:

BUT HERE IN THE NETHERLANDS ITS NOT LIGAL TO SET UP SNARES

SO I'M NOT UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT SS HAS SEND YESTERDAY,ABOUT THE SNARES.

SORRY FOR THAT MY EXCUSES SIR...

THANKS FROM KONINGS

Theres a time & place for snares.

You cant always get at Rabbits with Gun or Ferrets/Nets & even if you can snares can be a helpful addition to get the Job done. Because if you dont someone else will & it will be your loss.

Not all of us are weekend shooters, SS has a large Rabbit problem to get sorted & will be judged by his results. He has hit the Rabbits hard by shooting them but they are getting wise to what is going on. It is very hard to Ferret the land that he is working at the moment so Snaring is the only option to keep making an impact on the little *******.

Free running snares are not the cruel things people think they are & are an effective tool when used with respect, hence them being legal to use. Dont base your veiws on pictures that you have seen & bad reports. See how they are used & what they do to the Rabbits when snared. If you still dont think you could sleep at night because your morals say its wrong then dont use them.

As said before every one to there own.

Keep up the good work SS

:angry::drool::)

PELTMAN

Cheers for the replies chaps

Sorry if I offended anyone but after seeing the snare in action I can assure you the rabbit suffered little pain.

As other have mentioned its all about fieldcraft and learning the correct way, I am by no means an expert & I am always looking to improve my fieldcraft. That said I still enjoy shooting the *******. :angry:

And I am gratefull to members of PW who instead of trying to explain on the computer, have steered me in the direction of someone who is highly regarded as the master of snaring.

Cheers SS

• 2 weeks later...
Good man SS. :good:

Well done indeed. :lol:

Keep up the good work, we should all stick together. :lol:

Frank.

my mates got a place in italy. the bloke who owns the farm next to his told us when we were there last october, that he catches foxes by tying a large treble hook on wire then on to a tree and suspends it at waist height off the floor he baits it with larks he has shot. the fox has to jump up to the bait then gets impaled on the hooks!! he then batters it to death the next day . he wont shoot them ,he says because they dont deseve it!! i told him if he didnt get off the property in the next 5 seconds i would batter him to death as it was he who didnt deserve a bullet. snaring is a dying art some say rightly so but if its done correctly and they are checked twice a day then why not . well done ss for taking it seriously and going about it the right way.

HI,IS THERE SOMEONE WHO CAN EXPLAIN ME HOW I MUST MAKE A SNARE,

PERHAPS BY PICTURES,OR IS THERE A SITE WHERE IT IS EXPLAINED.

WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PLEASE??

GREETINGS ; FROM KONINGS.. :good::lol:

:good: I am well impressed bud.

I am thinking of making some snares for this one ground that I cover.. its very difficult to shoot on with anything safely.. air rifle. rimfire shotgun etc.....

there are too many green houses around and I feel the best way forward is to snare them.

do you have a copy of this dvd or can you tell me where you bought them from.

I thank you very much.. well done.. again on your success... jon.

McF and myself set 36 snares along a fence, we had 5 rabbits. Unfortunatley a buzzard beat us to one of them, but it was worth the loss to see such a fabulous bird at close quarters.

Interestingly this was also our first proper attempt at snaring, we didnt bury them or make any preparations beforehand.

Please advise the details of the dvd, we are eager to learn more.

webber

The DVD is called snaring by Woodga it only cost £16 posted quality is good and as an instructional DVD it's exellent, shows you how to make snares from the raw materials, and more importantly how to set them correctly, anyone wants his details PM me.

I will not copy them & sell them on, if you want to learn from the master snarer a dying art, then £16 is money well spent.

SS

The DVD is called snaring by Woodga it only cost £16 posted quality is good and as an instructional DVD it's exellent, shows you how to make snares from the raw materials, and more importantly how to set them correctly, anyone wants his details PM me.

I will not copy them & sell them on, if you want to learn from the master snarer a dying art, then £16 is money well spent.

SS

He also sells snares at a very reasonable price. Top quality and a top man :yes:

LB

Hello fellas,

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted but this subject of snaring is one that really grips me, I agree the method of snaring has been mastered by some, but the majority use them without regard to where they are and what other mammals live in the area.

Its time to knock this method of pest control on the head, if someone can show me a video of any animal being killed within 15 minutes using a snare I’ll eat my gun.

I can understand it being used years ago, people didn’t have enough to eat never mind go and buy guns, so yes it was practical, but not nowadays.

And don’t try and give me the “it’s the only method available to me ****†because if you want to trap then there are many live traps on offer that cause no pain and suffering.

How many Terriers, Badgers, Otters, and other wildlife have fell victim to the painful knot of the snare. Give it up and try something else, it is 2006 after all.

I may be feeling grumpy because my ESS Amber is in bits after her operation today after eating a large stone but non the less, lets not advocate a method that causes pain and suffering.

The PM

Sorry to hear about your dog FM, I and I am sure everyone else here hopes she makes a full recovery.

Regarding the use of snares, I agree that its a bit 'agricultural' but when you landowner wants them off the field or you are, then they are the last available option in keeping your permission.

I don't believe that the scuts are all killed within a acceptable time scale either. Saying that though there are a number of places that I personnaly know of that no other method is safe to carry out. For this reason I lay just before last light and I am back out there before first light.

I don't post results or pics as a matter of personal choice but I do respect anyone who does.

LB