Rabbit snaring

Stealth Stalker

Hello fellas,

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted but this subject of snaring is one that really grips me, I agree the method of snaring has been mastered by some, but the majority use them without regard to where they are and what other mammals live in the area.

Its time to knock this method of pest control on the head, if someone can show me a video of any animal being killed within 15 minutes using a snare I’ll eat my gun.

I can understand it being used years ago, people didn’t have enough to eat never mind go and buy guns, so yes it was practical, but not nowadays.

And don’t try and give me the “it’s the only method available to me ****†because if you want to trap then there are many live traps on offer that cause no pain and suffering.

Not a dig just a query.

How many Terriers, Badgers, Otters, and other wildlife have fell victim to the painful knot of the snare. Give it up and try something else, it is 2006 after all.

I may be feeling grumpy because my ESS Amber is in bits after her operation today after eating a large stone but non the less, lets not advocate a method that causes pain and suffering.

The PM

What about a rabbit snare with a stop in it,that way it could be sat all night waiting for a fox/cat/stoat/raptor/human to kill it,same as any fenn/juby/imbra etc that doesn`t hit right for what ever reason.

Or is it just because it can be set in an inappropriate place?

LB,

I respect your views and always have, you were the first person to reply to me when I joined the PW Club, and I have read many of your posts.

I take what you are saying as good sense, but I’m afraid that if we put the message across that snaring is fully acceptable, then we will have lots of the younger generation of members going out and setting snares all over the place.

I understand that when they are in the right place and location, or when there’s no other option is available, I guess they must be used but lets try to keep it as last resort and not common practice.

When I was a young lad in my teens they were all over the place where I live, I used to work Border Lakeland terriers through the gorse after rabbits and time and time again they would get caught up in them. Then last year with the help of the game keeper we caught a townie guy snaring Deer on my parents land. That’s part of the reason why I’m so against them, but I also still respect the people who use them when it’s a last resort.

The PM

I will never see any problem with snaring; it is just another form of hunting that takes just as much skill if not more so then shooting.

I am just about to start setting traps for Foxes and Rabbits on a property next to my place and I intend to set some snares while I’m at it. While I can shoot there I still like the challenge of trapping a specifically targeted species.

My grandfather was a professional Rabbit and Fox trapper for years during the depression, running trap lines up to 500 traps long. He taught me to trap when I was a kid and I will keep so as I consider it an important part of history that should not be lost.

LB,

I respect your views and always have, you were the first person to reply to me when I joined the PW Club, and I have read many of your posts.

I take what you are saying as good sense, but I’m afraid that if we put the message across that snaring is fully acceptable, then we will have lots of the younger generation of members going out and setting snares all over the place.

I understand that when they are in the right place and location, or when there’s no other option is available, I guess they must be used but lets try to keep it as last resort and not common practice.

When I was a young lad in my teens they were all over the place where I live, I used to work Border Lakeland terriers through the gorse after rabbits and time and time again they would get caught up in them. Then last year with the help of the game keeper we caught a townie guy snaring Deer on my parents land. That’s part of the reason why I’m so against them, but I also still respect the people who use them when it’s a last resort.

The PM

I agree PM, the young impressionable members may believe that snaring is the answer to all and that is where PW comes in.

Fortunetly there are many here who will, when questioned, put the experiences forward and hopefully sort that element out.

The previous posts are all by experienced persons that I feel sure do their work efficently and more importantly, safely.

How is Amber mate, making a good recovery we hope?

LB

Edit: Glad to see you posting again mate.

• 3 months later...

There is a place for Snares

The sides of main roads etc instead of the government constantly putting Mixy down :angry:

Again railway embankments for the same reasons.

I agree it's a Craft and is no more cruel than the trawling of sea food in nets.

The BRITISH countryside has evolved over 1000s of years and to lose any part of that history for the sake of a few city dwelling know nothings is wrong.

Good on ya Stealth stalker :good:

LG

I think it's the depth of the peg and the hardness of the ground :angry:

There is a guy snaring up at ross sands in northumberland a few times i have found snares as has my mate when we used to go swimming up there.

They were just pegged in with a small wooden stake.

Personally i would be looking to put them on a run through a fence if possible and use a snap swivel to attatch the snare to the fence wire.

I think the reason for the metal rod is it's spring loaded and takes any initial jarring of the snare away from the peg thus lessening the chance of the peg being pulled from the ground?

LG

There is no one better to learn from and no better dvd out there :angry:

Well done stelthstalker

NTTF

Yes there is he's called Glen Waters :good: . he is the man that teaches these lads how to set snares. Now he really is the best bar none :lol: .

I was reading about this guy Glen Waters yesterday apparently out of 100 snares he caught 97 rabbits :oops:

That is some going, this bloke knows his onions

SS

There is no one better to learn from and no better dvd out there :angry:

Well done stelthstalker

NTTF

Yes there is he's called Glen Waters :good: . he is the man that teaches these lads how to set snares. Now he really is the best bar none :lol: .

I was reading about this guy Glen Waters yesterday apparently out of 100 snares he caught 97 rabbits :lol:

That is some going, this bloke knows his onions

SS

Woodga and Glenn are both very good friends and have worked closely together. Glen comes over to Canada every winter to help on a wolf snaring line and was very instrumental in the development of the Ram Power Snare. If you are ever talking to them ....which I do every so often......they will tell you that niether one is better than the other. :oops:

They are both great guys and you will do nothing but learn from either one of them. :lol:

NTTF

Just to answer a previous post -

Why only 4 posts - I ain't a big poster on gun sites 'cos I really don't know too much about them. I have two shotguns but both only purchased in the past 3 months or so. I have a small shoot in Worcestershire on which I used to use airguns but shotguns are better for the job. There are loads of rabbit holes and seemingly new ones every week. I only want to have a go at an alternative method of control.

Only 4 posts - everyone has to start somewhere!

At the end of the piece I only want to buy a DVD and didn't realise it would be so difficuilt. I pm'd people who haven't even responded which is disappointing. Surely that's not because I haven't put my other interests down which happen to be Beekeeping (30 years) and Koikeeping - have been to Japan twice in the last 5 years on buying trips.

Sorry if I came across as being rude Jonathon :)

Snaring is quite a contentious issue as you can see from the previous replies, but by learning the correct methods is a good form of vermin control.

The DVD is called Rabbit Snaring by Woodga. www.fieldsport.biz are the publishers

I've lost Woodga's contact details, I'll try & dig them out for you.

You can also try & contact him on Moochers hunting forum.

Cheers SS

Sorry if I came across as being rude Jonathon :)

Snaring is quite a contentious issue as you can see from the previous replies, but by learning the correct methods is a good form of vermin control.

The DVD is called Rabbit Snaring by Woodga. www.fieldsport.biz are the publishers

I've lost Woodga's contact details, I'll try & dig them out for you.

You can also try & contact him on Moochers hunting forum.

Cheers SS

No problem. I understand the need for care in these matters as it is not everyones cup of tea. Anyway thanks for the guidance.

Cheers

Jonathan