dispatch the wounded

steved

Was out the other day for my first time. Managed to get some birds coming into my patern. great to see them coming in really satisfying. However my shooting was awful, missed so many. Pigeons are really hard to hit. Top marks to anyone who can achive a decent ratio. To my main point, i didnt get a clean kill on one bird, poor sod was flapping about so i went over to it to finish the job. All the books i have read seemed to make this sound easy. 'hold by head flick the wrist break neck' job done. Not so easy i found. Made a right pigs ear of it feathers everywhere and took far too long for my liking. Any advice for doing this better next time (as my shooting is unlikely to improve). Or any other Methods for doing this quick and clean? Cheers.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take the bird by the head and a quick swing in a circle as the bird is hanging and it breaks the neck clean in 2 or 3 seconds. It does take practice but very quick and humane way to dispatch the bird.

A much easier method for a beginner if I may, and that is to carry a priest. Swift blow to the back of the head and it's instant.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

No offence , but if you did not kill one bird cleanly perhaps you need some practice/lessons on clays first, of course there will always be the odd bird that is not dead but not everyone.

The easiest way to despatch a wounded pigeon is hold it in you left hand over its back pining the wings to the body , then simply twist the head round with your thumb and first finger of your right hand (other way round if your left handed )1 turn and it will be dead.

Edited by fenboy

No offence , but if you did not kill one bird cleanly perhaps you need some practice/lessons on clays first, of course there will always be the odd bird that is not dead but not everyone.

The easiest way to despatch a wounded pigeon is hold it in you left hand over its back pining the wings to the body , then simply twist the head round with your thumb and first finger of your right hand (other way round if your left handed )1 turn and it will be dead.

He did say he didn't have a clean kill on 'one' bird, thats not so bad eh?

Agree with Cosd, get a priest, or take the advice above, I tend to just use a 'knife' hand and hit them over the head. Loads of ways of humanely killing animals....awfully...be brutal, if you're going to hit it, hit it hard.

Edited by kyska

you could try holding both legs in one hand , head down with its breast against your leg get its head in your other hand beak up and gently pull its head down an legs up . you feel its neck break this way and its head dont come off in your hand.or if you aint too squeemish bite through its neck at the base of its skull.

Yep sorry just re read it , I took it as he wounded every bird he shot at , the advice on how to neck them stands though :blush:

I take the bird by the head and a quick swing in a circle as the bird is hanging and it breaks the neck clean in 2 or 3 seconds. It does take practice but very quick and humane way to dispatch the bird.

A much easier method for a beginner if I may, and that is to carry a priest. Swift blow to the back of the head and it's instant.

Cos

this a very effective way of killing most birds, the key to it with pigeons is to stop the swing in a circle motoin as everthing goes loose {the neck breaks} otherwise the head comes off :(

ive been shooting for 30 years i still have birds flapping and doing the backward roll lol

Thats pigeon shooting but remember the less time out the hide the better so take the dog so he can retrieve the bird very quick and you can do what you need to to back in the hide = less flafing about :good:whatever way you choose to kill the bird make it quick a simple neck swing will do the job just hold the head of the bird and 360 swing and its over in seconds ,although don't do this on a walked up day on the pheasant shoot as it is not very etiquette SO TAKE A PRIEST :yes:

Edited by hutchie the white hunter

remember the first time i took my bro out shooting ,he shot his first pigeon and it was still ticking,so i told him to hold the body in one hand and hold the head in between your first finger and second finger and pull and twist ,you should feel a crack and its goodbye , he did this and we looked at the pigeon and all was left was a red stump coming out of were his head was ,he looked at me in shock and said "wheres its head" i the said "open your hand" its head was still in his hand and he didn't know lol should of seen him he screamed and jumped lol i was p++++ing my self lol i said not so hard next time there not hand grenades, i find the best way is like cosd has said ,just pick them up from the head and a quick swing in a circle there body weight then dose the work,if you don't like this way then try a lead filled priest ,but watch your thumbs lol

I use wire cutters. (Humane despatch pliers) make your own. Get a pr of wire cutters and grind an 8th of inch out of the cutters leaving the tips untouched. You can break the neck without cutting the head of and its very quick.

I have them in my cartridge bag all the time.

Edited by Actionpigeons

I just hold them and use my thumb to depress the spine between their wing joints until it breaks and they die very quickly.

Never got the knack of breaking necks and usually either apply too much force or not enough

I use the same method, cup the bird in both hands facing away from you (they often calm down too) then put both thumbs on the spine one behind the other half way along and press till you feel it give way.

I'm too heavy handed for the other methods from necking rabbits I end up taking the heads off 7/10 birds, crows I use a priest.

Mmmmm, the breaking the spine method is a bit suspect IMO, the back breaks and crushes the ribs into the lungs. They die quite slowly by suffocation. Not as humane as it could be.

Take a short stick and smack them on the head.

I use the twirl method to dislocate the neck for most birds but it can take some time to get right.

Edited by scolopax

Use a priest !!! A smart rap over the top of the head job done :good: and no confusion that way and if you dont want to buy a priest make one all you need is a 10" length of seasoned blackthorn just sand down the ends drill a hole at the smallest end and put a lace through,that way you can hang it on your hide pole.

Dave.

Edited by gamekeeper1960

Use a priest. 100% certain death and a pretty oblivious one. I have yet to meet anyone who cannot perform it perfectly.

I have seen far too many half harrised efforts at the various swing/crush /pull methods. There is an ever increasing focus on welfare and one half strangled bird waddling off (seen this where swung pheasants have recovered and it is hideous) is another nail in our coffin.

Sharp smack to the head. Thats it.

Use a priest. 100% certain death and a pretty oblivious one. I have yet to meet anyone who cannot perform it perfectly.

I have seen far too many half harrised efforts at the various swing/crush /pull methods. There is an ever increasing focus on welfare and one half strangled bird waddling off (seen this where swung pheasants have recovered and it is hideous) is another nail in our coffin.

Sharp smack to the head. Thats it.

+1 :good:

Forward to 21.01, nice quick clean dispatch :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sv__kKiqAg

I dont know so much about that I can rememeber the Queen getting a lot of stick for doing the same ! not so many years ago,and as this thread was started by a newcomer I would much prefer that the job was done quick and clean, Priest all the way :good: