dispatch the wounded

steved

tried necking them and can never seem to get it right either not enough force or too much and head comes off and im not keen on pulling the heads off, will try using there body weight to do it next time,

but I normally just put there head on a hard surface (rock, log, ect) and stand on it, dead instantly although not the most dignified way to go does the trick but have been fortunate to only have to do this to a few.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know so much about that I can rememeber the Queen getting a lot of stick for doing the same ! not so many years ago,and as this thread was started by a newcomer I would much prefer that the job was done quick and clean, Priest all the way :good:

What was not quick and clean about that then??

I feel its better than beating it over the head, which doesnt always work first blow ...

What was not quick and clean about that then??

I feel its better than beating it over the head, which doesnt always work first blow ...

Am I understanding you right ? you would rather teach a novice shooter to twirl a bird round and not know if hes killed hi quarry quickly & cleanly. than hitting it with a priest. the mind boggles and no wonder we get so much flack from antis ! I cant find any advise on the basc website to surpport your argument, and if you cant hit something hard enough to kill your quarry first time then get a pair fo game desapatches and keep them with you while you are shooting. :no:

method 1, best way i find is to twist the head around until you feel it go slack/broken neck....dead bird with no chance of the head coming off.(3 secs)

you can keep control of the bird in your other hand and stop it flapping around, and anyone watching knows nothing!.

method 2 is to put pressure on the depressions found on the body just forward of the wings, using thumb and index finger.

not really for the novice though.

not the best as it actually crushes the lungs. again non messy and keeps the head on!

swinging a bird around wont look too good if you are being watched and will lead to blood everywhere if the head comes off.

tbh swinging a priest wont look too good either if you are being watched.

Am I understanding you right ? you would rather teach a novice shooter to twirl a bird round and not know if hes killed hi quarry quickly & cleanly. than hitting it with a priest. the mind boggles and no wonder we get so much flack from antis ! I cant find any advise on the basc website to support your argument, and if you cant hit something hard enough to kill your quarry first time then get a pair fo game desapatches and keep them with you while you are shooting. :no:

He would know when it's dead as you can feel the neck break. I think its quicker and more discrete than standing there beating a bird around the head.

A pigeon for example, when you pick it up, they pull their heads in, making it difficult to kill the bird with the first blow.

Or you can pick the pigeon up by its head, a quick twirl and its dead.

As you can see in the video clip, its a fast and humane dispatching technique, which is what is mentioned on the BASC web site.

We all p,rick birds, so do you, so we should all carry game dispatchers and not priests then? .... or is this just a sales pitch for your priests?

Ps, I'm not knocking priests, its a good way to despatch birds if you can't get on with neck breaking, I just find the neck breaking quicker.

Edited by chrispti

You two gentlemen have done nothing to change my views on teaching a newcomer to our sport in the correct way to despatch wounded game, If people do not follow the code of practice layed down by our shooting bodies then whats the point, and you play straight into to the hands of people who would sooner we did shoot at all. guilds by basc and other shooting groups are there help all shooters. and you maybe very proficient the way you despactch your quarry but you !!! where not the person asking the question in the first place ! and I still stand to be corrected if you can find a shooting organisation that persrcibes the use of neck twirling then please corrected me !!!!

He would know when it's dead as you can feel the neck break. I think its quicker and more discrete than standing there beating a bird around the head.

A pigeon for example, when you pick it up, they pull their heads in, making it difficult to kill the bird with the first blow.

Or you can pick the pigeon up by its head, a quick twirl and its dead.

As you can see in the video clip, its a fast and humane dispatching technique, which is what is mentioned on the BASC web site.

We all p,rick birds, so do you, so we should all carry game dispatchers and not priests then? .... or is this just a sales pitch for your priests?

Ps, I'm not knocking priests, its a good way to despatch birds if you can't get on with neck breaking, I just find the neck breaking quicker.

Please Show were I have said that priests are for sale ! IF you bothered reading the thread correctlly then you would know that I shown people how to make thier own. NO SALES PITCH ANY WHERE IN SITE. so please keep your remarks to your self. thank you !!!

hold the bird in 1 hand head facing away from you slide your other hand up the back of the bird where the wings meet the body just underneath ul feel soft tissue squeze hard in that tissue with finger and thumb till they touch and keep there the bird will shudder and stop its over very quick no fuss may take a lil practice but find better than priests or spinning tried all until i was shown this method.

The BASC's code of practice are just guide lines.

What's law, as stated in the General Licence, '' Any birds killed in accordance with this licence must be killed in a quick and humane manner.''

Please Show were I have said that priests are for sale ! IF you bothered reading the thread correctlly then you would know that I shown people how to make thier own. NO SALES PITCH ANY WHERE IN SITE. so please keep your remarks to your self. thank you !!!

Thank you.

It seems I didn't bother to read your post properly, apologies :good:

Doubt you will find a much quicker mot efficient manner than using speciality pliers, have found them brilliant professional looking and very efficient.

As with crows you don't even have to handle them directly so no fear of a crow bite simplest way to despatch from pigeon to pheasant in my humble opinion.

Leaves the birds in get good condition for decoys too.

Karpman

The BASC's code of practice are just guide lines.

What's law, as stated in the General Licence, '' Any birds killed in accordance with this licence must be killed in a quick and humane manner.''

Thank you.

It seems I didn't bother to read your post properly, apologies :good:

:good: Dave.

Learn to bite the back of the pigeons head. Place your eye teeth just above and behind the birds eyeball and give it a sharp , firm bite. You`ll feel the skull shatter. Most people get the pressure right after their second or third attempt.

It`s quick and discrete and, in the old days of market gunning was the preferred method of dispatch. No smashed, bloody skulls or eyes knocked out nor stretched necks.

If you can`t bring yourself to bite their heads learn how to discretely twirl their necks.

You can always move back to a priest if you prefer, but one thing is certain, if you are only confident in killing birds with a priest, you will almost certainly have your best ever day at pigeon over decoys WHEN YOU`VE LEFT IT AT HOME!

Wotcha going to do then?

Edited by mudpatten

Learn to bite the back of the pigeons head. Place your eye teeth just above and behind the birds eyeball and give it a sharp , firm bite. You`ll feel the skull shatter. Most people get the pressure right after their second or third attempt.

It`s quick and discrete and, in the old days of market gunning was the preferred method of dispatch. No smashed, bloody skulls or eyes knocked out nor stretched necks.

If you can`t bring yourself to bite their heads learn how to discretely twirl their necks.

You can always move back to a priest if you prefer, but one thing is certain, if you are only confident in killing birds with a priest, you will almost certainly have your best ever day at pigeon over decoys WHEN YOU`VE LEFT IT AT HOME!

Wotcha going to do then?

Funny thing is you'll probablely have a even better day the day you forget your> Gun ! Cartridges ! Earplugs ! Hide ! Poles ! Decoys ! you see if you can remember to take everything,and not a priest or humane despatches, then tie a knot in your hankie !.

Wotcha going to do then?

May be helpful if you could make a video illustrating this head biting technique, and the most hygienic method of doing so.

Would be most educational I'm sure!

Karpman

That's an old punt gunners trick....I very much doubt anyone still uses it today....there's just no need for it unless they like pretending they do it. It's guaranteed every time this question is asked some one will give that answer! And as for discreet I think it's the most un discreet thing you could do lol I'd rather let some one seeing me give a pigeon a quick flick of the wrist anyday of the week over actually letting them see me putting its head in my mouth!

Edited by tomhw100