dispatch the wounded

steved

Sorry to dissapoint but I am an old puntgunner and was taught how to kill a bird by an even older puntgunner, a man who actually made his living out of "market hunting."

It`s a method I use all the time. Funnily enough it was raised as a subject on a wildfowling forum and it seems that it is still used by many wildfowlers even today.

Accusing me of pretending to use it is rather silly since there are at least four members of PW who see me do it regularly, and you`re right that whenever this subject is mentioned head biting is always raised, usually by me!

It is an entirely legitimate, humane and effective method of dispatch with a long history which it would be a shame to lose by omission just because some of us have become squeamish about the final act of killing.

Edited by mudpatten

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to dissapoint but I am an old puntgunner and was taught how to kill a bird by an even older puntgunner, a man who actually made his living out of "market hunting."

It`s a method I use all the time. Funnily enough it was raised as a subject on a wildfowling forum and it seems that it is still used by many wildfowlers even today.

Accusing me of pretending to use it is rather silly since there are at least four members of PW who see me do it regularly, and you`re right that whenever this subject is mentioned head biting is always raised, usually by me!

It is an entirely legitimate, humane and effective method of dispatch with a long history which it would be a shame to lose by omission just because some of us have become squeamish about the final act of killing.

Why would I be disappointed!? I didn't accuse you solely of pretending to do it..I didn't even quote your post,I'm not squeamish at all friend or I wouldn't go shooting and process my quarry would I! Wild fowling is a different situation to pigeon shooting all together though isn't it there's no chance of some rambler walking past on a footpath,there's no one watching froma near by garden etc etc. it wasn't meant to cause offence!

Just seems a tad strange to me when there's a perfectly good tool on the market for the job. Just because its a method from yesteryear let's not assume it the best in todays climate.

Telling a newcomer to the sport to chomp on a pigeons noggin all be it a way of dispatching birds seems a little odd to me is all. Not to mention the hygiene issues.

Karpman

Just seems a tad strange to me when there's a perfectly good tool on the market for the job. Just because its a method from yesteryear let's not assume it the best in todays climate.

Telling a newcomer to the sport to chomp on a pigeons noggin all be it a way of dispatching birds seems a little odd to me is all. Not to mention the hygiene issues.

Karpman

Mmmmm I got a flat fly in my mouth lol....you are right though he'll prob eat 3 heads before he gets it right.

Mmmmm I got a flat fly in my mouth lol....you are right though he'll prob eat 3 heads before he gets it right.

And a good few feathers lol. Gave me an interesting idea mind. Reckon ill take me lurcher he is almost as thick and scruffy as me he will be up for some head biting for sure lol.

Karpman

if you dont have a priest just pick it up by the head ,quick flick ,neck brakes

IT IS DEAD ,CAPOOT, FENEETO ,

iam not worried about reading it a bed time story ,this is almost as bad as someone saying "i dont shoot pigeons that land it trees as its not sporting " your there to do a job and clear the pigeons ,get a grip lads your filling the thing full of lead anyway

Edited by pigeon pete

Its got nothing to do with being squeamish(or however you spell it) If you've fired one barrel and its still hanging on fire the 2nd. Its a lot quicker and consiquently more humane. If Im rifle shooting or beating a nice weighty stick joint between the back of head and neck will do it. If you can do the neck breacking stuff then great but I dont know how to do it and wouldn't trust myself trying.

Whoever said what happens when you forget your priest the answer is simple, find another one-I allways take a knife with me so you can even make it look nice its really quite simple.

Having said all that I allways take my 'soft' mouthed lab with me - often negating the need for a preist.

if you dont have a priest just pick it up by the head ,quick flick ,neck brakes

IT IS DEAD ,CAPOOT, FENEETO ,

iam not worried about reading it a bed time story ,this is almost as bad as someone saying "i dont shoot pigeons that land it trees as its not sporting " your there to do a job and clear the pigeons ,get a grip lads your filling the thing full of lead anyway

If you care to wind your neck in for a minute and read the ops original post you will see he has already tried this method and was not to his liking.

I like to eat my birds or feed the ferts so try to keep lead to a minimum shooting em again is not an option for me hence the use of pliers a great no thrills approach to a new comer to the sport.

Karpman

Neck breaking by twirling is winning by a short head, and quite rightly so. Like many things in life it can soon be mastered with a bit of practice.

The priest is coming in a close second,hampered only by the need to carry a tool kit around with you consisiting of the priest itself and a knife to fashion another from should you have lost or forgotten the original.

Third is the specialty pliers which work splendidly provided you remember them but which presumably also require a knife as a back-up to fashion a priest, it being difficult to carve a pair of pliers should you lose or forget them.

You could also bite the birds head. You always have the means to do that with you and you can neither lose nor forget it. Neither does it require a back up workshop. True, it`s a bit archaic as a method and might raise a few eyebrows, but once mastered it is quick and discrete.

It might be worth not writing it off as a method of dispatch until you`ve actually tried it for yourself.

Neck breaking by twirling is winning by a short head, and quite rightly so. Like many things in life it can soon be mastered with a bit of practice.

The priest is coming in a close second,hampered only by the need to carry a tool kit around with you consisiting of the priest itself and a knife to fashion another from should you have lost or forgotten the original.

Third is the specialty pliers which work splendidly provided you remember them but which presumably also require a knife as a back-up to fashion a priest, it being difficult to carve a pair of pliers should you lose or forget them.

You could also bite the birds head. You always have the means to do that with you and you can neither lose nor forget it. Neither does it require a back up workshop. True, it`s a bit archaic as a method and might raise a few eyebrows, but once mastered it is quick and discrete.

It might be worth not writing it off as a method of dispatch until you`ve actually tried it for yourself.

What do you suggest using if you forget your teeth ? (for the oldens amongst us)

Does gumming them to death work as swiftly :hmm:

Edited by chrispti

I prefer the Elderly Persons method of boring them to death "When I was a boy we used to kill everything by biting it`s head. Ducks, pigeons, kittens, puppies" Blah, blah, blah. Works every time!

We used to use head biting for killing crocadile,rattle snakes,lion,tigers,bears, but then we were real men back then.!!!!!:o)

If you care to wind your neck in for a minute and read the ops original post you will see he has already tried this method and was not to his liking.

I like to eat my birds or feed the ferts so try to keep lead to a minimum shooting em again is not an option for me hence the use of pliers a great no thrills approach to a new comer to the sport.

Karpman

maybe you might want to wind your head in as well in the original post it dont mention ferts or lead ??,the reason i put this up is people saying there is only one way to finish off a pigeon wrong just do it quick and its dead ,it dont suffer

I take the bird by the head and a quick swing in a circle as the bird is hanging and it breaks the neck clean in 2 or 3 seconds. It does take practice but very quick and humane way to dispatch the bird.

+1 Simple and effective.

well said :good:

We used to use head biting for killing crocadile,rattle snakes,lion,tigers,bears, but then we were real men back then.!!!!! :o)

is this why the wife keep biting my head off lol

i have tried a few methods, i took my air pistol once but thats just another thing to carry around but it did work

tried a priest but struggle to get a decent hit because the pigeons tuck their heads right up to their body

tried spinning them around but you seem to end up with a lot of feathers and a long neck with no feathers on which is not ideal if you want to use them as decoys

sharp hit against a post or gate does the job but there is not always one when you need it and often get the same problem as you get with the priest because of tucking their heads in

the least messy, cleanest and easiest method i have found is definitely biting their head and is the only way i do it now

I can't believe people seriously bite heads as a routine way of dispatching, obviously never seen a flock feeding on top of a dung heap. It takes maybe 2 minutes of practice (on dead birds) to master the flick/twist of the head and neck using the birds body weight to break the neck. It does not involve spinning, a few deft flicks, often the bird doesn't even do a full turn before it is dead.

If I was biting their feet or beaks I could understand your concern.

I`m nipping the back of their heads. Don`t often see `em doing headstands on a dung hill.

You`re absolutely right about neck breaking practice on already dead birds as being an excellent method of perfecting humane dispatch.

Yeah works out costly especially if ya catch a decoy or 3 lol.

Most of our old full-bodied plastic deeks rattle!

I have a very heavy Buck folding knife which lives in the cargo pocket of my trousers,attached to my belt loop via a lanyard.It goes on every shooting outing and doubles as a priest.

I couldn't bite anythings head as I'm a vegetarian. :good:

Edited by Scully