dispatch the wounded

steved

Most of our old full-bodied plastic deeks rattle!

I have a very heavy Buck folding knife which lives in the cargo pocket of my trousers,attached to my belt loop via a lanyard.It goes on every shooting outing and doubles as a priest.

I couldn't bite anythings head as I'm a vegetarian. :good:

Ok now im confused, your a veggie but you shoot pigeons?!?! Im not being funny but ????

Jesus 4 pages on killing a bloody pigeon!!

Yep aint it great

Head biting I can well believe I know alot of old hands and I could imagine them doing this.

I allways have a multitool on me at all times the knife being the key bit for all sorts of purposes. Gutting skinning of rabbits (pigeons at home I would say much more fidelly) Whittling stuff I.E. fancy preists if thats what floats you boat a stick works for me As happened on a beating day dispatch of a horribly injured deer Ok you could maybe use the gun And cutting baler twine for the dead quarry The pliers or wire cutter part comes in handy if you need to free something from wire I.E. a dog thats got cuaght in a snare.

It can be hard to get a good hit I know that but get a shorter stick and really whack it one if your in doubt becuase you are definetly sorted then.

I might try to practise the twirl one on dead birds but I will allways carry a preist or have one near by.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When trying to do the "neck break swing" some people have the wrong technique and it will go wrong, resulting in the head coming off. I kill hundreds of birds this way each year, working as a pigeon guide, I see people doing it wrong on a regular basis.

I can pick a bird up off the ground by it's head with my thumb, trigger finger and index finger, within 2 seconds it's dead and I haven't pulled any heads off in a very long time. You have to hold the bird by the skull, thus allowing the skin around it's neck to twist freely with the body. The nect will break and the head stays on. The mistake most folk make is they put the birds head in their hand and screw the neck with their fingers restricting the skin and therefore bursting it, when the neck breaks the head comes away.

As far as I am concerned the quicker the dispatch the better, nobody can kill a pigeon with pliers, priest or a bite quicker than I can by picking it up and giving it a twist. They have to pick the bird up, hold it still and get it in a position to do their desired method, by that time my bird's dead!!

Edited by M ROBSON

When trying to do the "neck break swing" some people have the wrong technique and it will go wrong, resulting in the head coming off. I kill hundreds of birds this way each year, working as a pigeon guide, I see people doing it wrong on a regular basis.

I can pick a bird up off the ground by it's head with my thumb, trigger finger and index finger, within 2 seconds it's dead and I haven't pulled any heads off in a very long time. You have to hold the bird by the skull, thus allowing the skin around it's neck to twist freely with the body. The nect will break and the head stays on. The mistake most folk make is they put the birds head in their hand and screw the neck with their fingers restricting the skin and therefore bursting it, when the neck breaks the head comes away.

As far as I am concerned the quicker the dispatch the better, nobody can kill a pigeon with pliers, priest or a bite quicker than I can by picking it up and giving it a twist. They have to pick the bird up, hold it still and get it in a position to do their desired method, by that time my bird's dead!!

Yes that's all very well but what if you want a mouthful of brains and feathers?

I agree, by far the best way and a must to master if you're a serious pigeon shooter.

"method 1, best way i find is to twist the head around until you feel it go slack/broken neck....dead bird with no chance of the head coming off.(3 secs)

you can keep control of the bird in your other hand and stop it flapping around, and anyone watching knows nothing!."

bird in left hand,twist head around with right hand!

cannot believe no one else uses this method? easy for novice or experienced alike!

Tried this on a dead bird the other day....

Now I have one headless pigeon in the chiller :rolleyes:

"method 1, best way i find is to twist the head around until you feel it go slack/broken neck....dead bird with no chance of the head coming off.(3 secs)

you can keep control of the bird in your other hand and stop it flapping around, and anyone watching knows nothing!."

bird in left hand,twist head around with right hand!

cannot believe no one else uses this method? easy for novice or experienced alike!

Because its a slow and cruel process.

It takes a good 4-5 full turns for the neck to break using that method, and it is very difficult to do one handed.

I honestly can't believe there is so many people who have trouble in finishing off a wounded bird. I was taught years ago how to wring a pigeon's neck. It takes less than 2 seconds to do and must be the best method of dispatch. I've often had a pigeon brought back by the dog that is ready for a neck wringing when the next birds are coming into the decoys. I can quickly take the bird from the dog, wring the bird's neck, put it on the floor and then take my next shot.So simple.

This method is also fine on big birds- including Canadas.

Because its a slow and cruel process.

It takes a good 4-5 full turns for the neck to break using that method, and it is very difficult to do one handed.

“Because its a slow and cruel process”!!!???

Hello this is the real world; we are shooting them with a shotgun

Or ae you shouting “bang got ya” when they fly past you…. :lol:

Edited by Actionpigeons

“Because its a slow and cruel process”!!! ???

Hello this is the real world; we are shooting them with a shotgun

Or ae you shouting “bang got ya” when they fly past you…. :lol:

So thats why I never get any pigeons . . . . . . . . silly me, Iv been trying to knock them out the sky with a stick :good:

How would you like your neck broken, quickly or have your head slowly twisted round 3 or 4 times untill it breaks :rolleyes:

Like you said ''cannot believe no one else uses this method'' . . . . . . . . . . . . its pretty obvious why !!

Edited by chrispti

So thats why I never get any pigeons . . . . . . . . silly me, Iv been trying to knock them out the sky with a stick :good:

How would you like your neck broken, quickly or have your head slowly twisted round 3 or 4 times untill it breaks :rolleyes:

Like you said ''cannot believe no one else uses this method'' . . . . . . . . . . . . its pretty obvious why !!

I use humane pliers myself, but whatever anyone else likes to do or use its up to them.

As long as they despatch them as quick as they can. You can’t say because it’s a slow and cruel process, we are shooting them with a shotgun

Over the last two months I have shot over 2,000 Pigeons and I would guess a further 10% have been hit, flew on and died later. Lets not start giving the anties ammo by saying we are cruel.

So if it takes someone 3 0r 4 seconds to kill a downed bird, whats the problem. What ever method they are happy to use, we all have to learn.

If you read the post back you will see I didnt say ''cannot believe no one else uses this method''

I can't believe there is so many people going on about how to finishing off a wounded bird

Edited by Actionpigeons

if you dont have a priest just pick it up by the head ,quick flick ,neck brakes

Pete

Grab, twist and flick has always been my choosen method of dispatching pigeons. Works every time. It might take a novice half a dozen birds to master the technique but once mastered it never forgotten.

Absolutely agree with every word written here. I used to use a priest but know what I prefer as far as pigeons are concerned.

As for some posts, particularly ones where cocking up the act of dispatch is referred to as amusing, I wish you would do shooting/society a favour and cease to exist, or at least stop broadcasting your twisted humour as it only feeds the anti agenda and propaganda machine.

FM

Can't resist sharing this - One of my mates fattened a dozen capons to give his friends and family for christmas. A few days before xmas got a call from his wife - for gods sake get down here and help Paul kill the chickens. He'd decided to do this in his greenhouse. As I walked into the garden the enire greenhouse (and Paul) was blood red and textured with feathers. He'd pulled their heads off, panicked and dropped the birds instantly. I got him to hand the remaining half dozen out one at time.

Amateurs eh - he didn't bother with chickens again - but to be fair even after this experience he did persist and pluck and draw them all for the table

Mike

• 1 year later...

Yes it can be the wrong thing to do, no point filling a bird with shot at close range if you intend to either eat it yourself or at least make sure it ends up in the right place to get used, it's wasteful cartridge wise and the extra noise isn't always welcome, and at long range there is absolutely no guarantee you would deliver a killing shot anyway and no guarantee the bird would die instantly either.

• 2 weeks later...

So after reading the fives pages of posts we have several clear distinct methods that seem to be popular...

1. The twirl - hold it by the head, quick flick to twirl the bird around and neck breaks

2. Priest - whack it on the bacxk of the head

3. Pistol - shoot it in th head although this does remind my of an episode of the Good Life whenTom Good goes to kill a chicken with an air pistol...... for those who are old enough.

4. Bite It - bite the back of the head crushing the skull

5. Gum - if you have no teether drown it in drool - sorry that post made me laugh.....

6. Break the Spine - using ones fingers break the spine

I twirl and use a priest and they both work - not at the same time though. I personally do not beleive that breaking the spine will kill the bird humaly - just my oppinion. Biting the head and crushing the skull will do and I first saw this when I started beating as a child..... not something I personaly fancy doing. All the Keepers I have worked with, shot with and had the pleasure of sharing a dram with all "twirl". Does not make it right just a statement.

Whatever your method, as long as it is effective and limits the amount suffering then stick with it. IF what you are doing is not working then try another but as in most things in life it will take practise.

No one person is right or wrong....