Anyone use a Freelander for shooting

V8 90

I had a freelander for a number of years great bit of kit with a descent set of off road tyres and a lift kit she really was unstopable the only bit of advice is be very careful which engine you choose I had the 1.8 k series engine and yes the headgasket went twice on it the second time I got rid, also the engine is under powered. But if I had any of the other engines she would have still been parked on my drive.

here are some pictures:

005-12.jpg

001-16.jpg

Noooooooooo, don't do it!

Worst car Iv ever had, broke all the time and not safe either... It was wrote off (properly and I got some severe injuries!) by a ford ka!!

There **** offroad too, first bit of mud I showed it and it got stuck.

25mpg for derv td4 is no joke, ird and viscous will go, slide all over in the wet

Fantastic in the snow..

Boots too small for kids stuff, tools for work etc.

Buy a derv rangerover, it'll cost the same in repair bills but will go anyware.

Noooooooooo, don't do it!

Worst car Iv ever had, broke all the time and not safe either... It was wrote off (properly and I got some severe injuries!) by a ford ka!!

There **** offroad too, first bit of mud I showed it and it got stuck.

25mpg for derv td4 is no joke, ird and viscous will go, slide all over in the wet

Fantastic in the snow..

Boots too small for kids stuff, tools for work etc.

Buy a derv rangerover, it'll cost the same in repair bills but will go anyware.

Surely there was something wrong there if it was doing 25mpg???? That's way below what owners are quoting from what I've seen....

And surprisingly they are higher nap rated than any of the other landy's, mitsi's and yota's (I checked this today as I am looking at an FL2)

Regards,

Gixer

Not used ours for shooting but used it tow the caravan on an off muddy fields and never had a problem, quite well mannered on road as well. We have the TD4 and get about 35mpg out of it. We had quite a few problems when we bought it but now its all good and have had about 8months problem free (only owned it for 10.) Ours is up for sale in October as got littleun on the way and cant afford to run two 4x4s, my mrs love it but to be honest i wont be looking at buying another one in the future though.

Not used ours for shooting but used it tow the caravan on an off muddy fields and never had a problem, quite well mannered on road as well. We have the TD4 and get about 35mpg out of it. We had quite a few problems when we bought it but now its all good and have had about 8months problem free (only owned it for 10.) Ours is up for sale in October as got littleun on the way and cant afford to run two 4x4s, my mrs love it but to be honest i wont be looking at buying another one in the future though.

how much , what year etc.

my mrs was looking at one the other day , currently she as a disco and its been great , but just starting to look a bit tatty now , so wants to get new mot on it and sell.

was thinking freelander , but it needs to be able to tow a horse trailer.

anyone comment on the towing ability of these 4x4's

cheers

Well, it's not a disco or a def but the td4 will pull a horse box with no problem. A 1.8k will pull it as well, but will feel a little underpowered since you will miss the torque of a diesel...

I don't know if this is the right choice for you, but I still like these little 4x4's. They are very capable on wet fields... Tc and ABS make it a nice CAR to drive in light off road circumstances, but it is never going to be a true off roader...

I now run an old 5 door td4 gs freelander 1 as my runabout/shooting waggon and prefer it to the much newer td5 i used to own. I get just over 450 miles on a 60 litre tank of diesel and find it ideal to shoot from. I run it as a two wheel drive in the summer months which makes it much nippier and gives better fuel consumption.

Edited by luckytrigger

checkout this video forward it to about 47mins they used the freelander on the last camel trophy expiditions in 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQRU6hvu0I

and also checkout the camel trophy history for those of you who might be interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGWp8R-IqoE&feature=related

Edited by straightshooter1

• 1 year later...

Glad I found this thread since was going to ask similar question.

I was wandering where is the best place to shoot from since been trying to do some lamping from the boots with the seats and the rear window down only to find the high rear brake light and spare wheel gets in the way?

This is mine:

31032014512_zps0eda0efb.jpg

I get 36mpg from my TD4. Have towed a boat and a small sheep trailer with no problem but not tried a horsebox. I have seen several being used to tow caravans.

Off road ability is fine with the right tyres but mine doesn't get serious off road use just muddy tracks. Good in snow and ice. Comfortable and fairly quiet at motorway speeds.

Lots of peeps seem to have problems with reliability but mines done 139,000 miles with only routine service parts. Just had new front discs, still on original clutch.