Anyone here had their motor remapped,and happy or not?

sako751sg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi sako, a few of us at the local club had it done, my new navara was done gone from 190bhp to 216bhp really impressed with it now gone from 30mpg aprox to 35 mpg, there was also a defender td5, l200, a couple of disco's and a range rover sport done all have said what a differance it has made, we used a company called quantum tuning they are nation wide and come to you.

Hiya

Superchips do good stuff. If you know someone there - Friend s & Family discount makes a difference to the price.

E.g. Skoda Octavia diesel adds 20-25bhp, economy improves 60+mpg and a smoother drive.

Friends with Landrovers would have had them done earlier had they known the improvements.............

L

I did my diesel Disco - the clutch and back box then went (they were on the way out though) but it was worth doing - nothing amazing, it just meant it kept up with the traffic.

On something slow and lumbering it's worth doing it to keep your sanity. On anything else it's just pipe blow after pipe blow as you force the car to do so much more than was anticipated by the manufacturers.

Cheers all.Mines been done and just wanted to see if anyone has had negative results,but from a personnal point of view i could not recommend it hightly enough.Torque is unbelievably improved,power superb and most important im getting a good 5mpg more which roughly cuts a quid off a gallon so will pay for itself nay probs.Got a good deal through a mate and it cost £250 which i think is pretty good.If anyone is undecided about getting it done,go for it.Quicker you do the sooner you start recouping and then saving.

• 1 year later...

I've just installed a bluefin in my scirocco, got 61 extra bhp and SHED loads of torque.

Mpg is about the same if I drive sensibly, but motorway I get more, the engine doesn't need as much right foot to pick up.

It has a powerband like a two stroke past 4k rpm, and insurance declared, one pound a week more

I had a custom ecu remap using a rally gems ecu and a few hours on the rollers then a few tweaks on the road. Went from 280bhp to 373bhp and 360lbft of torque at a safe boost level of 1.6bar.. That was on a fresh engine with 800miles on it just run in.

Feels a bit looser now so might be able to extract a bit more with another tweak.

Very tempted to get my golf gtd done, just not sure if I should or not!

My brother had his done and loved it

Interested in this, what are the insurance implications? Does it increase premiums? I'd imagine they could refuse to pay a claim if you didn't tell them?

I inform my insurance an they don't increase my premium i just tell them I've had an economy upgrade and they are happy with that, quantum do provide a conformity letter if you ask them, only had to provide this to one insurance company before.

I had a Disco 3 done a few years ago. Prior to having it done I contacted my insurance company who informed me that they would not insure me. The insurance company is one of the larger established ones. My age and occupation should have been in my favour, but I had to explain that it was purely to improve the vehicle's towing ability. I was contacted the following day and informed that having considered all the information they would continue to insure me. I had to forward a copy of the remap details provided by the motor tuner to them. I was left with the impression that had I been younger with a sporty saloon they would not have even considered it. On the plus side the car did perform better after the remap.

Mate had his Disco 4 done, mpg has improved and it goes like a hot hatch.

Now that is interesting.

I have a Disco 4 and it is only two years old and still under guarantee.

I would imagine any remapping at this early stage would invalidate the guarantee, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve mpg and looked at remapping.

What is the general consensus.

Now that is interesting.

I have a Disco 4 and it is only two years old and still under guarantee.

I would imagine any remapping at this early stage would invalidate the guarantee, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve mpg and looked at remapping.

What is the general consensus.

I will ask him, I think he said the company he used insured against anything the remap did which affected the warranty. His is under a year old. Edited by WGD

A good remap is always beneficial but run for the hills where the cheap tuning boxes on flea bay are concerned , this is for a 1990 camaro ecu but if anyone is interested in how an ecu works and why remapping is advantageous here's a link to a fairly basic yet comprehensive short write up http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/pcmtuning.htm