Silver Pigeon stock finish.

Tim Kelly

I bought a new 32" sporter last weekend. Went to the clay ground and shot 75, then went pigeon shooting on rape stubble the following day. Got the gun out this weekend and noticed the stock appeared to be very scratched and marked. My old 1950's side by side doesn't look as marked as this stock!

I'm really not that tarty about things like this, but was surprised how delicate the stock finish is, and how much it appears to be a very thin coating over the wood.

Is it difficult and time consuming to strip whatever the finish is off the stock and to give it a proper oil finish? I did it years ago to an old side by side that had a varnished stock, but don't know what they've put on the beretta stock and how to remove it.

Many thanks

Remove recoil pad, might be best to grind down so as not to damage recoil pad then wet ,forget if its socket or screwdriver, when you unscrew 3 or 4 turns then gently tap forward or you will damage the wood ,do not try to wrestle it off.when the stock comes loose just unscrew and remove stock.Iam Sure somebody will advise you on removing scratches with out removing stock.

Have been told by a couple of gunsmiths(not dealers)in the last couple of years that the finish on new Berettas isn't as good as it once was.One of them said that in his opinion Beretta weren't the only manufacturer to be 'cutting corners' lately,and that the lower end new Brownings and Mirokus aren't as good quality as they once were.

As it's a new gun,if you're not happy with the quality,my advice would be to take it back.

Is the beretta finish an oil finish then? If I oiled the existing finish would it blend together or is the factory finish some kind of varnish?

Mine was an oil finish that went a bit cloudy when it got wet. I sorted it by using a gentle wipe over with 0000 wire wool to remove the bloom and then just gave it a few coats of walnut oil.

The good thing about this type of finish is that it is very easy to maintain and restore unlike varnish or french polish etc

It might well be a lacquered stock if it scratches that easily, the lacquer on new berettas is a nightmare. Don't bother to oil over the top, it won't really do anything for a lacquered stock.

If you put some photos up it might help us see what it is. :good:

The new Silver Pigeon you have, since it has 32" Barrels has an oiled stock, not much oil on it to be honest, I have one in 30". You can lightly rub over some stock oil, whichever brand you like will sort it back to new, It's easy to upkeep even a pot of good beeswax furniture polish will look good,don't use the spray though.

chiefy

I've put a few coats of oil on it now. Not sure if it's working or not really. The wood's darkened a little and the scuffs and matt bits have improved, but you can still see the matt bits particularly if the light's right. I know these are supposed to be entry level guns and not objects of great beauty, but I'm a little annoyed the stock finish is so poor. £1300 is still a chunk of change!