Off fishing.

Lord Geordie

Well I have a day off from work tomorrow and bought loads of fly fishing gear over the past few month, tomorrow morn I am heading off to the river Derwent to give it a whirl. I found a few free area's to fish as long as you have an environment agency rod license. Reading the reports there has been a big brownie caught in this stretch of river. Anything I may catch "chuckle in my sleeve" will be put back. I don't like the idea of removing brown trout after reading how long they take to get to a good size.

Should make an interesting day.

Have you practiced on a field ? It's quite tricky at first.

A casting tip I was given is to wait until you feel the tug of the line before using the rod to cast the line forward, it stopped me "whipping" the line. This is only a beginners tip, I'm sure someone with more experience can take you to the next stages.

Have a great day.

EDIT to add, I saw a program the other day and they were using a big fluffy orange fly to good effect, apparently it mimics a big breeding blob of amoeba, the fish were going mad for it when other flies were failing.

Edited by Catweazle

HD!

I fished the Derwent in Morpeth town centre. There is a good stretch there about a mile in all.

Went as well as I had expected. Lost 3 flies on snags under water. Got a take but didn't hook it which was a shame. Then got yobs hurling stones in the water knowing full well I was there.

Leeds Chimp! There are stretches of the Wear in Durham city that are free to fish and have pike in too. Got all the gear here so may have a jaunt out one day.

Will have to replace my lost flies and am after a few different ones before i go back to have another go in a few weeks

HD!

I fished the Derwent in Morpeth town centre. There is a good stretch there about a mile in all.

Went as well as I had expected. Lost 3 flies on snags under water. Got a take but didn't hook it which was a shame. Then got yobs hurling stones in the water knowing full well I was there.

Leeds Chimp! There are stretches of the Wear in Durham city that are free to fish and have pike in too. Got all the gear here so may have a jaunt out one day.

Will have to replace my lost flies and am after a few different ones before i go back to have another go in a few weeks

Shame about the yobs and lost flies, but cheer up - it gets you out and about. Don't forget the orange blob fly.

Better luck soon.