Driving Mirror

four-wheel-drive

The other week when it was really hot after being secured to the windscreen of my Jeep for 12 years the mirror decided to fall off leaving just a silicon type thing about 3mm thick stuck to the screen my first thought was when it is a bit cooler I will get some super glue and put it back on but on further thought as people are replacing there screens all the time when they get broken so what do the professionals do.

Never had it happen, but would suggest going to a Jeep dealer and getting proper part for it to stick it back on.

but clean the area of glass thoroughly 1st before sticking.

I dare say you can get something from Halfrauds but I'd want the proper stuff to be sure.

I did dozens of these when i used to be in the motor trade years ago and its quite simple.

Go to your nearest car accesory shop and buy the proper interior mirror adhesive kit-it will consist of a tube of special glue and a piece of very fine mesh.Clean the glass thoroughly with meths along with the part of mirrror which attaches to the glass which usually looks like a foot.Cut the mesh (use scissors) to the exact size of the mirror foot squeeze the glue onto it then place the mesh over this.Then carefully place this on the windscreen and HOLD it in position for couple of minutes.It will be rock solid.

Just dont pick your nose afterwards if you get it on your fingers.

I did dozens of these when i used to be in the motor trade years ago and its quite simple.

Go to your nearest car accesory shop and buy the proper interior mirror adhesive kit-it will consist of a tube of special glue and a piece of very fine mesh.Clean the glass thoroughly with meths along with the part of mirrror which attaches to the glass which usually looks like a foot.Cut the mesh (use scissors) to the exact size of the mirror foot squeeze the glue onto it then place the mesh over this.Then carefully place this on the windscreen and HOLD it in position for couple of minutes.It will be rock solid.

Just dont pick your nose afterwards if you get it on your fingers.

There talks the voice of experience!! I can only imagine it's a tough one to explain, whilst sitting in A&E with a finger rammed up your hooter....

Thanks for your replies I will ask in the local motor parts place when I go to town to see what they have got.

The other option is a double sided sticky pad (again a specific product for mirrors),but these are not very effective long term.Whatever route you take just remember to clean both surfaces with meths first.

The other option is a double sided sticky pad (again a specific product for mirrors),but these are not very effective long term.Whatever route you take just remember to clean both surfaces with meths first.

I wouldnt trust the double sided pads for one minute, i used them in the olden days to attatch mirrors to the love room ceiling and one fell off, thankfully i was not in there at the time :o I ended up taking the lot down, and put them on the wall instead :innocent::smartass:

I was toying with the idea of getting some self taping glass screws then just get the old black and decker out and drill a couple of holes in the screen and screw the mirror on it on job done.

No, once you've drilled the windscreen you need to use nuts and bolts as self tappers don't hold very long. :yes: