Wild Boar

new to the flock

henry d

Yeah but let him run wild for a few years and try and plug him with a 243 +,I wouldn’t try it :)

So true they are rock hard little *******

at a push 12 bore heavy loads with 9’s work as well.

I hope you don`t mean No.9`s ;)

Nope sorry dont know what you would call them - Its the term i know used for shot shells with heavy load and around 9 x 9mm balls in - Not number 9 shoot. Edit - Just looked it up its what the americans call Buckshot

Judging by that bottom picture these bore are a lot smaller than what i am used to. That has just surprised me as I thought warthog were not large.

O yes and its possible to shoot a elephant and kill it with a 22LR but its so wrong i wont even go there!! just use the best thing you have available as it leaves less margin for error. I have found to my detriment that fast rounds tend to blow up to much and dont always deliver the goods, especialy if you hit bone first.

For reference this is of a friend of the familys gamefarm not a big one but is a good reference - http://www.dinaka.co.za/images/trophy-gall...-Warthog-x2.jpg - Just by the way that not me they run a game business so I guess this was one of his clients this year.

Right then.

"That's not a pig, this is a pig!" (borrowed from Crocodile Dundee)

12-1.jpg

Well i have to say thats more what i expected the yanks whom had hunted europe always sead warthogs were not big - seeing as we have gone down this route i read something on this a few years ago so...

THATS NOT A PIG

040728_hogzilla_vmed.widec.jpg

NOW THATS A PIG

henry d

Yeah but let him run wild for a few years and try and plug him with a 243 +,I wouldn’t try it B)

So true they are rock hard little *******

at a push 12 bore heavy loads with 9’s work as well.

I hope you don`t mean No.9`s :good:

Nope sorry dont know what you would call them - Its the term i know used for shot shells with heavy load and around 9 x 9mm balls in - Not number 9 shoot. Edit - Just looked it up its what the americans call Buckshot

Judging by that bottom picture these bore are a lot smaller than what i am used to. That has just surprised me as I thought warthog were not large.

O yes and its possible to shoot a elephant and kill it with a 22LR but its so wrong i wont even go there!! just use the best thing you have available as it leaves less margin for error. I have found to my detriment that fast rounds tend to blow up to much and dont always deliver the goods, especialy if you hit bone first.

For reference this is of a friend of the familys gamefarm not a big one but is a good reference - http://www.dinaka.co.za/images/trophy-gall...-Warthog-x2.jpg - Just by the way that not me they run a game business so I guess this was one of his clients this year.

Forgive me, I did not know that you too also had so much experiance in hunting dangerous game, since seeing you know so much, what do you think your mates warthog scored, and which warthog is it, the Reticulated warthog, or the Southern Burchalls Warthog, try not to ask him, or is just a photo you found on the net

Right then.

"That's not a pig, this is a pig!" (borrowed from Crocodile Dundee)

12-1.jpg

Well i have to say thats more what i expected the yanks whom had hunted europe always sead warthogs were not big - seeing as we have gone down this route i read something on this a few years ago so...

THATS NOT A PIG

040728_hogzilla_vmed.widec.jpg

NOW THATS A PIG

That IS a pig :good:

Thanks everyone after days of reading this thread especially due to stuartp s enthusiasm I have, just spoken to a company in Sweden about a short hog hunt – I don’t know much at the moment but they are going to contact me back with some options. Will let you know if anyone’s interested.

Yes that pig is large don’t you guys ever watch the discovery channel! lose near some fish farms in America, lots of controversy as to whether it’s a fake or not. Would scare the **** out of me if you came across that for real.

Mag-man

Think you have me wrong bud! Not my friend that shot it! The Farm it was shot on belongs to a friend of the family, I have no idea whom the bloke is! But I did not say I did. I don’t think that pig would have made it into Rowland Ward! But its hard to tell as sometimes the tusks sweep forward in the mouth so can be longer than you think. I suspect you just made those names up as the first one is a python and the latter is a zebra species not warthog although there are tones of sub species of warthog and bush pig so it possible, ut I feel highly unlikely. Sorry could not resit phoned my mate the one in the picture was a Common Warthog or the only thing I really know them as a “Vlakvark†(Afrikaans for) more fun to say.

Sorry if anyone else thought I was being big headed or clever for the record it was not meant like that just trying to add fuel to the conversation some things written I feel are correct and some very not! but I am no expert so its not for me to decide, the lead in about the 22lr and elephant was to highlight only one thing you can use small arms to kill big things ITS POSSIBLE WE GET IT !! but its harder. I don’t seem to be able to put things in righting quite as well as others on here so I hope you can understand it was not meant to be that way.

Thanks everyone after days of reading this thread especially due to stuartp s enthusiasm I have, just spoken to a company in Sweden about a short hog hunt – I don’t know much at the moment but they are going to contact me back with some options. Will let you know if anyone’s interested.

Good man Aerova, yes I am interested, let us know how much and how long etc.

Our one is about £1,000/head, which sounds a lot but, it is a 5 day trip, 2 days travel/3 days driven shooting, all flights/transfers/and food included.

Booze isn't included, so that will make it up to about £,2000/head :good: B)

I just put in for a licence to hunt on state forest down here, I know that there are some big ivory carring 120kg or so pigs around my way so I'm looking foward to it.

It will also be great not to have to travel hundreds of km just to hunt pigs, due to the drought the pigs where I usualy hunt are scarce and only half the size they used to be.

Mag-man

Think you have me wrong bud! Not my friend that shot it! The Farm it was shot on belongs to a friend of the family, I have no idea whom the bloke is! But I did not say I did. I don’t think that pig would have made it into Rowland Ward! But its hard to tell as sometimes the tusks sweep forward in the mouth so can be longer than you think. I suspect you just made those names up as the first one is a python and the latter is a zebra species not warthog although there are tones of sub species of warthog and bush pig so it possible, ut I feel highly unlikely. Sorry could not resit phoned my mate the one in the picture was a Common Warthog or the only thing I really know them as a “Vlakvark†(Afrikaans for) more fun to say.

The burchalls is a species of zebra, the reticulted is actually the southern african giraffe, nice guess about the python though, (pythons correct name is African rock python) as a matter of fact, that warthog is one of the biggest I have ever seen, hence it was advertised on a safari companies website, as an advert to attract new clients.

Next time you try and add fuel to the fire, make sure it's combustable

Yes that pig is large don’t you guys ever watch the discovery channel! lose near some fish farms in America, lots of controversy as to whether it’s a fake or not. Would scare the **** out of me if you came across that for real.

I saw the program about the giant pig, it was proven to be a fake picture. The pig was big but nothing like the size that was portrayed in the photo. Was a big ****** though and had been living on fish feed. He was a feral.

Leeboy

Yes that was the one leeboy never saw the whole thing! So it was a fake but man alive if that’s what feral’s can grow too, we could have some serious problems with the feral’s lose over here.

Beenspeed's mate from the BBS has a problem with wild bore feral’s on his property down south but so far has been unable to apply for the right to shoot them, just dose not seem to be any policy on it yet, seeing what warthogs can do to fields I would have thought the damage cost could be quite heavy. I belive he has BASC trying to help sounds like this is an emerging issue.

Mag-man – Quote = as a matter of fact, that warthog is one of the biggest I have ever seen, hence it was advertised on a safari companies website. which warthog was that mate ?

[

Mag-man – Quote = as a matter of fact, that warthog is one of the biggest I have ever seen, hence it was advertised on a safari companies website. which warthog was that mate ?

The one you claimed was from your mates farm, or the friend of a friends family of a friends family of a friends friend etc................the one I thought you found on the net

this one

http://www.dinaka.co.za/images/trophy-gall...-Warthog-x2.jpg

I don't to take this thead off topic, but I will going Boar shooting for the first time later this year. I will be using my 6.5x55 and I usually use Federal 140grn soft points, would you recommend a heavier bullet?

I will be buying factory ammo, not reloading (at a push I can ask my mate nicely to roll me some if I would prefer not to bother him)

hello stuart ive shot over 300 boar in australia { around darwin nt} and most of them were taken with my 6.5x55 with 140 grn federals or 139grn pmc. tropical boar can be huge but the 6.5 never failed. you wont gain much by using say 180 grn norma theyll be plenty dead from the 140 s if you do your bit. :drool:

Leeboy,i have shot many pigs at point blank range,you are right in saying that pigs have a soft skull.But only a certain part of it.Draw a imaginary line from the left eye to the right ear and from the right eye to the left ear.Where the lines cross you will drop a pig every time.If you hit it wrong you will have a very angry pig on your hands

Leeboy,i have shot many pigs at point blank range,you are right in saying that pigs have a soft skull.But only a certain part of it.Draw a imaginary line from the left eye to the right ear and from the right eye to the left ear.Where the lines cross you will drop a pig every time.If you hit it wrong you will have a very angry pig on your hands

Rob G, I agree with you there. I use the same method of X marks the spot if I have to destroy most farm animals in an emergency. I learned it when I spent a day in a slaughter house whilst at college. It works every time. It doesn't work that way for horses I'm told, as you have to hit a bit higher. Thankfully I've never had to shoot one.

Leeboy