FAC Granted

bighit1985

Hi all,

Just had my FAC interview with the FEO and had applied for 2x .22rf one for day and one for night, a .17hmr and multishot shotgun. Was granted the multishot shotgun no problems, but he would only grant 1X .22rf and wouldn't grant the .17hmr until ive have practise with the .22 and been out with someone with a .17hmr. But what he did say was some people in the area have had problems with their .17hmr ammo and blown the guns up and that the .17hmr isnt very good in wet or windy weather, so suggest maybe a .223 would be better suited. My questions are:

What are the differences between .17hmr and .223??

Im looking to shoot rabbit and fox what are the pros and cons of the 2 rounds for rabbit and fox??

Im also looking for experience of either the .17hmr or .223 in the field, is there anyone that is willing to help me with this in the Kent/Essex area, just as an observer would be fine so I can gain experience of the calibre and the FEO is happy that im safe and know how the ammo reacts???

cheers

Darryll

Just my opinion but that's really strange advice?

What you've requested is a sensible way to start, so did he say he'd support a grant for 223 over 17HMR?

I'm sure some will say if you're a safe shot you're a safe shot, but the power 223 has over the 17 is absolutely massive.

Watch some youtube videos 223 turns rabbits inside out, the difference is the 223 is a centrefire and the 17 a rimfire, biggeer bullet with a lot more behind it!

Sound advice above. You cannot compare a 223 to a .17HMR. If I where in your boots I would look at getting a 17 hornet/.22 hornet or something. Personally get some experience with a rimfire first and then move up the ladder.

FAC Shotgun, great choice, ive got an 8 shot Benelli, cracking gun for all occasions on pests.

What reason did he give for only granting you one .22? Your as safe with 2 as with 1.

A .17 HMR is nothing like a .223, I'm left wondering if your FEO has ever shot a rifle himself! While you can use a .223 on rabbits, the meat damage will be too great to actually eat the rabbit, unless you only head shoot them.

.17's do sometimes have ammo issues, it's by no means a perfect caliber but it's very useful (and probably a lot cheaper on ammo than a .223). What ranges do you intend to shoot rabbits at?

What reason did he give for only granting you one .22? Your as safe with 2 as with 1. I thought that, I wanted 1 for day scope and one with night scope, but he wants me to gain more experience with the 1 first which i sort of get but is annoying.

A .17 HMR is nothing like a .223, I'm left wondering if your FEO has ever shot a rifle himself! While you can use a .223 on rabbits, the meat damage will be too great to actually eat the rabbit, unless you only head shoot them.

.17's do sometimes have ammo issues, it's by no means a perfect caliber but it's very useful (and probably a lot cheaper on ammo than a .223). What ranges do you intend to shoot rabbits at? He says the 17hmr is no good in wet/windy weather it goes everywhere, but a .223 doesnt so is a more stable round, but would only be good for fox tho! but if thats the case then rather go for a .223 i might as well just get a .243 for the fox and then if I want to progress on to deer at a later stage ive already got the rifle, thoughts??

Sound advice above. You cannot compare a 223 to a .17HMR. If I where in your boots I would look at getting a 17 hornet/.22 hornet or something. Personally get some experience with a rimfire first and then move up the ladder.

FAC Shotgun, great choice, ive got an 8 shot Benelli, cracking gun for all occasions on pests.

Yeah Im looking for mutishot shotgun for close range rabbit and pigeons. Whats the difference between a .22lr and a .22 hornet or .17 hotnet???

What? Your feo is a complete numpty!! Iv shot 17hmr and own a 223!! A 223 is overly huge for rabbits! When I hit them with a 55gr vmax it turns it to soup! A 223 is better for fox tho! And fox definitely don't like my vmax rounds :D if I were you I'd ask for 22lr fac shotgun and 223 :good:

Would it not be worth just going up to a .243 if the .223 is too big for rabbit???

thanks for all the comments

But a 223 is way above a 17hmr!! I'm left wondering if your feo has any idea about quarry and rifle calibers! A 223 can be used for fox,muntjac and cwd. Iv headshot rabbits with a 223 and it's still rediculous and you still can't eat it! It rips it apart. A 223 is not that expensive. I'm paying £17 per 20 rounds and soon il start reloading so it will work our even cheaper. Like I said just put in for 22lr fac 12g and .223! Also a fac air rifle has it's uses too. A 243 is a very touch and go with some forces. Most want a dsc1 to allow deer and some forces will only allow it for fox. You can try :good:

Edited by Sharpshooter.123

It sounds to me like your FEO probably needs sacking. I don't understand how he can feel that you should get experience with 1 .22lr before your allowed two, it makes absolutely no difference from a safety angle. This could be pushed for, BASC ought to be able to help on that, as it's absurd.

A .17HMR certainly is affected by wind, but as it's a very popular round for rabbits, I'd say that if it was so bad in the wind and rain then nobody would use it. I've not yet got one, but I am sure it's usable in most weather conditions. In high wind then yes the range might need limiting, but I'd say it's a very usable caliber.

Anyway, regardless of whether your FEO thinks it's a good caliber or not (he seems to have some dislike for it), if you've got a good reason for it (i.e your quarry, and wanting to humanly shoot at distances beyond the .22's ability) then you should be allowed it.

As to the center-fire, as a .223 is far too much on rabbits then yes going for a .243 might be a good idea if you think you might ever want to shoot deer. It's also more effective on foxes, but a .223 is still a very good foxing round. If your wanting to shoot more than the odd fox, I'd go for something like a .223 or a .243, as a .17HMR isn't really ideal as a foxing gun anyway.

well my 17hmr rounds travel @ 2400 fps ,and yes they don't like wind

my .223 rounds travel @3840 fps ,and @ an angle of around 40% will travel at 4000m

hit a rabbit with a body shot with a 17hmr wont be much good for the table ,head shots for the pot

hit a rabbit with a 223 not much left ,but great for foxes ,but also will move about 4" in a 15mph wind