Patterning....

-Mongrel-

I want to pattern my shotguns to determine best choke/cart combinations. I don't have land that I can shoot the shotguns over and my local clay grounds don't have pattern plates!

Does anyone know of anywhere that has a pattern plate or anywhere that I could shoot a few shells off if I made up a plate? I am in East Sussex...

Can you not just take a large piece of cardboard to your clay ground and prop it up, and shoot it? It doesn't need to be anything fancy. If you ask, I can't really see the answer being no.

The OP said shotguns which are possibly double barrelled. How many shots do you think are needed to effectively pattern one barrel?

Indeed, one semi auto and one O/U.

Would like to do both ideally with a variety of chokes. It's got to be at least a dozen shots realistically if not a few more.

Plus, with the S/A I'm quite keen to try two or 3 different carts. An hour on a pattern plate would be handy, or in a friendly farmers field with a sheet of board and a few rolls of wallpaper!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Southdown Gun Club, Findon, West Sussex. They have a pattern plate available.

The have wooden frame to be used with tenplated cardboard pattern plates. The tenplates can be kept and taken away.

Best done with supervision from one of the instructors to ensure tests are conducted correctly and results are meaningful.

Edited by Field and Clay

west kent shooting ground have plate/paper etc need to book it in 1st b4 arriving.

I must admit unless you think there is a problem I do not think Pattern plates tell you a huge amount.......do the 30 inch circle afterward and work simply off the number of strikes dont get hett up about the odd gap........frankly meaningless.

atb.

I just got a roll of old wallpaper and stuck together 2 x 4 foot lengths to give me large squares then suspended them between my hide poles, you can then make a fresh sheet for each shot, then do the count circle at your leasure at home in comfort, do not use the first shots from each barrel as these do not pattern true, I also recomend that you use 30 yards as your distance as most shots are taken at this range

Southdown Gun Club, Findon, West Sussex. They have a pattern plate available.

The have wooden frame to be used with tenplated cardboard pattern plates. The tenplates can be kept and taken away.

Best done with supervision from one of the instructors to ensure tests are conducted correctly and results are meaningful.

So, that's two reasons to come and have a chat with you now! :good:

I spoke with Greg Swan a few months ago via FB and he told me they didn't have one, hence my comment about local clubs not having a plate.

west kent shooting ground have plate/paper etc need to book it in 1st b4 arriving.

I must admit unless you think there is a problem I do not think Pattern plates tell you a huge amount.......do the 30 inch circle afterward and work simply off the number of strikes dont get hett up about the odd gap........frankly meaningless.

atb.

I don't think there is a problem per se, I'd like to know how well steel shoots through different chokes in the semi auto to determine the best choke, as well as whether it shoots as flat as I believe it to.

I'd also like to know how high the o/u shoots (which once again I believe it to, gunfit may be an issue here too though) as well as a few different carts through it to see if there's much difference and whether it's worth paying a premium for certain cartridges.

Edited by -Mongrel-

In responce to the first shot being meaningless, i need to know my gun functions with the chosen shell from the first shot. sometimes its the only shot i might get out on the marsh and i want it to count ! that said i havent ever found the first to look that bad or different with efficent shells in the particular gun, sometimes you do get an odd poor one though so i like to try at least half a dozen or more and work the averages