BASC recomended quarry for airguns

rabid bunny

ok, my comment would have been whats wrong with shooting seagulls in the head? a seagulls head is about the same size as a rabbits head. They are listed as a pest, they damage my property, dump on my cars, spoil my families sleep, dump on my head, dump on my windows etc etc. I have a full legal power 12ft/lb air rifle. I`ve tried to scare them away, what else can be done? theres frequently several of them all over the roof of my house and its driving me crazy :angry: This is only a recommendation from the BASC right?

Depending upon where your house is located and the size of your property boundary then shooting anything on your roof would be a big no no!

Any pellets then went straight through the quarry or that missed it would go over your roof and are likely to go out of your property boundary and is very likely to hit someone or something and cause damage.

Remember, you have a legal responsibility to ensure that any pellets you fire stay within your boundary and to not endanger property or persons. Failure to ensure that this happens risks a visit by Mr Plod and also puts the good name of our sport/hobby in jeopardy again!

On another post, either in this forum or the BBS one, a report was made of someone who was taken to court and found guilty of breaking a law (not sure which one) when they shot gulls that had annoyed them in exactly the same way that they are annoying you.

Think very seriously about what actions you take first. Remember, if a situation like this went to court your interpretation of the reccomendations would count for didly squat, whereas the recomendations of a large, well respected organisation like BASC would not be under any doubt!

Karl

thanks for that link. its a real eye opener. If It was me in that position I would have elected for trial in a crown court. The magistrates are always against the accused!. Anyway, my point though is why do the BASC not object to shooting a rabbit in the head, but then recommend against shooting a seagull in the head? its not because the birds are protected, is it because seagulls are considered too big for an average air rifle to kill humanely?

Are you a member of the BASC (or any responsible organisation)? Why not ask them?

Recommendation is probably the strongest word they can use considering the legality aspects, however this organisation has a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from and, at least for me, any "recommendation" should be taken as gospel.

I have a fox problem close to me, and I have a shotgun, but I can't shoot them for many good reasons. If the problem gets any worse I will have to deal with it in other ways, frustrating though it may be thats just how life is sometimes.

pay carfull attention here, THE RSPCA CAN AND DO PROSECUTE PEOPLE FOR INJURING ANIMALS, IF YOU ARE SEEN WOUNDING A SEAGULWITH A STANDARD AIR RIFLE YOU CAN BE PROSECUTED FOR CRULETY TO ANIMALS.

Air gunning is about respect for your quarry and therefore shooting anything outside the "RECOMENED QUARRY" should not be taken, the mear fact that you have brought up a question that is listed in that post "Please note no where on there does it say SEAGULLS (blackheaded or other wise), GOOSE or FOX (it was only a matter of time before this was raised!)

so would all who think it a good idea to be shooting anything other than the recommended above please stop and think a bit harder before you take the shot."

Did you actualy read any of that part on the post?

If you want to shoot seaguls, get your self an FAC rifle, get a dog, pretty much do what you want BUT DO NOT SHOOT THEM WITH A STANDARD RIFLE. Is it so hard for some people to read?:good:??

ROB :)

edited to add, just reread your posts and most of them are telling people to get a defra licence for pest control and saying that as long as you have an FAC you can own a BTAS cyclone (no mention of needing a spare slot on your ticket), and should i even mention beatings post about ridiculouse shootings from the gun shop? you as far as im cincerend are the reason the antis want our sport to be licenced and more resrictions on them, are you so stupid that it says nice and clear seagulls are not listed as vermin for airgun shooting, and then in your next breath "can i shoot seagulls, they are a pain" grow the hell up, i have a neighbour thats a pain, can i use my cyclone to shoot him? think before you type you muppet!

edited to add, just reread your posts and most of them are telling people to get a defra licence for pest control and saying that as long as you have an FAC you can own a BTAS cyclone (no mention of needing a spare slot on your ticket), and should i even mention beatings post about ridiculouse shootings from the gun shop? you as far as im cincerend are the reason the antis want our sport to be licenced and more resrictions on them, are you so stupid that it says nice and clear seagulls are not listed as vermin for airgun shooting, and then in your next breath "can i shoot seagulls, they are a pain" grow the hell up, i have a neighbour thats a pain, can i use my cyclone to shoot him? think before you type you muppet!

are you a moderator on here and am I allowed to respond how I would like?

In reply to Rob, I read the OP as asking from a physics/ballistics point of view whether there is a substantial difference between a head shot to say, a rabbit and a seagull. They would seem to be of similar size and morphology, and I too would be interested in the reasoning that makes one an acceptable prey for a 12ft.lb rifle but the other not.

Phil

Handily moderators have "moderators" written right next to their name on every post they make :good:

Also, how would you like to respond? I am guessing you are about to have a big hissy fit, which I would advise against if you want the thread to stay :)

Seagul not on list, forget about it. Don't like it? Complain to someone who cares.

Handily moderators have "moderators" written right next to their name on every post they make :yp:

Also, how would you like to respond? I am guessing you are about to have a big hissy fit, which I would advise against if you want the thread to stay :yp:

Seagul not on list, forget about it. Don't like it? Complain to someone who cares.

:good::) :(

thanks for that link. its a real eye opener. If It was me in that position I would have elected for trial in a crown court. The magistrates are always against the accused!. Anyway, my point though is why do the BASC not object to shooting a rabbit in the head, but then recommend against shooting a seagull in the head? its not because the birds are protected, is it because seagulls are considered too big for an average air rifle to kill humanely?

In my experience magistrates are not at all always against the accused. I spent a lot of time observing courts this year since I was thinking of applying to be a JP. I saw laughably guilty people walking free - I mean obviously guilty, but being given the benefit of the doubt.

to stop a massive debate &/or arguement

:( :)

ok, my comment would have been whats wrong with shooting seagulls in the head? a seagulls head is about the same size as a rabbits head. They are listed as a pest, they damage my property, dump on my cars, spoil my families sleep, dump on my head, dump on my windows etc etc. I have a full legal power 12ft/lb air rifle. I`ve tried to scare them away, what else can be done? theres frequently several of them all over the roof of my house and its driving me crazy :good: This is only a recommendation from the BASC right?

I feel an Air rifle of 12ftlbs is not sufficient for even rabbits , I wouldn't take anything larger than a rat with one myself. However that's my opinion.

The biggest problem I see is in your post,you say"seagull"which in my mind could be one of many which are protected.

As it has been posted on here before,try a search and see how difficult it is to correctly identify a youngster of the 3 types on the list.

Lastly,I shoot a few a year on a flight pond for a farmer,mainly GBB`s,and 32/36gm of 5`s does the job as I had to move from 6`s as I had too many runners :good:

PS.I don`t advise shooting them off your roof with a shotty either :) :( :yp:

nope im just a guy that would like his sport to last as long as possible before any new restrictions come in, and force me to find another hobby. But with muppets like you about that day come closer with every act you do (concerning airguns). Why dont you take up another hobby such as crochet?

I like most people on here can only judge you by your previouse posts and they show that your either a complete muppet or what is commonly known as a troll, one who tries to cause maximum damage for our sport. So which are you?

ROB :good:

I feel an Air rifle of 12ftlbs is not sufficient for even rabbits , I wouldn't take anything larger than a rat with one myself. However that's my opinion.

I shot about 180 rabbits last year with an 11.8 ft pound air rifle. It would do the job at 20 35 yards pretty well if I was dead on in my shooting. The problem is, I'm not always dead on - who is honestly?

That's why I've gone for rimfire. I don't like runners - not a bit, and I know nobody does so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone else. Since I got the CZ a month ago, I've had about a hundred stone dead, instant kills. and one that I needed a follow up shot for because of wind drift. What would have been runners with the old gun, just twitch for a few seconds. The only worry I have is that I could err towards the nose and do some horrible damage without an outright kill. To avoid this, I always aim at the area betwen the eye and kneck over about 40 yards and if there's cross a breeze, I won't shoot unless it's the rabbot's body that is down wind rather than its nose.

I shot about 180 rabbits last year with an 11.8 ft pound air rifle. It would do the job at 20 35 yards pretty well if I was dead on in my shooting. The problem is, I'm not always dead on - who is honestly?

That's why I've gone for rimfire. I don't like runners - not a bit, and I know nobody does so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone else. Since I got the CZ a month ago, I've had about a hundred stone dead, instant kills. and one that I needed a follow up shot for because of wind drift. What would have been runners with the old gun, just twitch for a few seconds. The only worry I have is that I could err towards the nose and do some horrible damage without an outright kill. To avoid this, I always aim at the area betwen the eye and kneck over about 40 yards and if there's cross a breeze, I won't shoot unless it's the rabbot's body that is down wind rather than its nose.

The CZ is far better choice and should provide a clean kill at 50 yards without any issues at all. As you put it stone dead , Runners are not something I relish neither is crawling through gauss bushes to finish the job.

I like to go home with a clean conscience and a dead rabbit.

As for shooting Seagulls firstly as Henry has pointed out most are protected, Secondly one does not point and fire a rifle in the air, if one has half a degree of sence. One word Backstop!.

nope im just a guy that would like his sport to last as long as possible before any new restrictions come in, and force me to find another hobby. But with muppets like you about that day come closer with every act you do (concerning airguns). Why dont you take up another hobby such as crochet?

I like most people on here can only judge you by your previouse posts and they show that your either a complete muppet or what is commonly known as a troll, one who tries to cause maximum damage for our sport. So which are you?

very well, my response is this, with regards to the RSPCA prosecuting the doctor for shooting a seagull with an air rifle, I would add that I read it as they would still have prosecuted the man even if he shot the bird with an FAC air rifle, it was a public health issue, not how it was shot.

With regards to whether you think Im a muppet or a troll, all I can say is that remark belongs on the BBS forum, I for one post here because I think this forum is more flexible and listens to the other point of view rather than delete what it doesnt want to hear. :good:

very well, my response is this, with regards to the RSPCA prosecuting the doctor for shooting a seagull with an air rifle, I would add that I read it as they would still have prosecuted the man even if he shot the bird with an FAC air rifle, it was a public health issue, not how it was shot.

I have no idea about any doctor and seagull which is why i didnt make any referenc to it, but i do know that in margate last year a young lad was prosecuted by the RSPCA for wounding a seagull, "CAUSING CRUELTY TO ANIMALS" this law can cover so many different things, locking a dog ina hot car, shooting animals and wounding them. If someone sees you shoot a bird and it flies off if that bird is found the by RSPCA they then have possetive proof that you are at fault.

Have to say i was very suprised when i read your profile and found you to be 51 years of age, maybe this is becasue you are used to airguns from the 70s and 80s when laws were a little mor lax than they are today. I remeber carrying my rifles by a sling for 2 miles through the village with the local bobbys sopping us, not to ask whats that? your nicked! but asking us if we had any luck with it.

as for this being like the bbs, thats your view, i prefer to think along the lines that this is a public forum where anitis can and do read the forum, every time we, as a forum, post anything that can be used against our sport, it is copied into a big file and then they are able to say " this is why we need laws MR. A wants to shoot seagulls with his air rifle, from the roof tops" Its up to us as responsible airgun shooter to ensure that they have as little as possible to hold against us, to show everyone that we are able to police our own sport.

The bbs is a totaly different forum, but when you have close to 10,000 members and are the biggest shooting forum, i guess things have to work differently.

ROB :good:

I have no idea about any doctor and seagull which is why i didnt make any referenc to it, but i do know that in margate last year a young lad was prosecuted by the RSPCA for wounding a seagull, "CAUSING CRUELTY TO ANIMALS" this law can cover so many different things, locking a dog ina hot car, shooting animals and wounding them. If someone sees you shoot a bird and it flies off if that bird is found the by RSPCA they then have possetive proof that you are at fault.

Have to say i was very suprised when i read your profile and found you to be 51 years of age, maybe this is becasue you are used to airguns from the 70s and 80s when laws were a little mor lax than they are today. I remeber carrying my rifles by a sling for 2 miles through the village with the local bobbys sopping us, not to ask whats that? your nicked! but asking us if we had any luck with it.

as for this being like the bbs, thats your view, i prefer to think along the lines that this is a public forum where anitis can and do read the forum, every time we, as a forum, post anything that can be used against our sport, it is copied into a big file and then they are able to say " this is why we need laws MR. A wants to shoot seagulls with his air rifle, from the roof tops" Its up to us as responsible airgun shooter to ensure that they have as little as possible to hold against us, to show everyone that we are able to police our own sport.

The bbs is a totaly different forum, but when you have close to 10,000 members and are the biggest shooting forum, i guess things have to work differently.

Well reasoned response there Rob. :good:

Oh dear. It's been a while since I posted on here but I cannot resist this.

If the BASC reccomend somthing is it not best to accept that information? They seem to be experts on this sort of thing which sort of makes me believe they are on the right track.

Oh and the reason the thread was locked was to stop this sort of crass reply ;)

to stop a massive debate &/or arguement

:lol: :o

ok, my comment would have been whats wrong with shooting seagulls in the head? a seagulls head is about the same size as a rabbits head. They are listed as a pest, they damage my property, dump on my cars, spoil my families sleep, dump on my head, dump on my windows etc etc. I have a full legal power 12ft/lb air rifle. I`ve tried to scare them away, what else can be done? theres frequently several of them all over the roof of my house and its driving me crazy ;) This is only a recommendation from the BASC right?

:) I think there will be a good number of bods on here that will challenge you on that statement.

LB