BASC recomended quarry for airguns

rabid bunny

to stop a massive debate &/or arguement

:lol: :o

ok, my comment would have been whats wrong with shooting seagulls in the head? a seagulls head is about the same size as a rabbits head. They are listed as a pest, they damage my property, dump on my cars, spoil my families sleep, dump on my head, dump on my windows etc etc. I have a full legal power 12ft/lb air rifle. I`ve tried to scare them away, what else can be done? theres frequently several of them all over the roof of my house and its driving me crazy ;) This is only a recommendation from the BASC right?

I feel an Air rifle of 12ftlbs is not sufficient for even rabbits , I wouldn't take anything larger than a rat with one myself. However that's my opinion.

:) I think there will be a good number of bods on here that will challenge you on that statement.

LB

I thought they were OK for burglars though :lol::P:P

:lol::lol::lol: :o

i too have taken many a rabbit with a 12ft pound airgun and if you acctually new anything about shooting you too would know that at around 30yrds its totally humane. :good: ( Sorry if this comes accross a bit harsh but thats my opinion.)

so if a rabbits head can be shot at 30 yds humanely, then why not a sea gulls head?

Because BASC say not thats why and if you have any problems with this why not take it up with BASC and not us this has been brought up many times and im sure everyone on here are sick of answering the same question. :good:

If this has been brought up many times, maybe it needs answering then. :lol: are you telling me over 3,000 members have answered this question?

Because BASC say not thats why and if you have any problems with this why not take it up with BASC and not us this has been brought up many times and im sure everyone on here are sick of answering the same question. :good:

If this has been brought up many times, maybe it needs answering then. :lol: are you telling me over 3,000 members have answered this question?

i think from what i have now read if a gull was causing me problems i would first call my solicitor and ask just what i could do legaly

i sympathise with your situation but i can also see what point the other members are trying to make

the basc have their reasons for not having the gulls on their list so call them and ask them

also ask them if they know who can help you with your problem

i myself would get in touch with my environmental health team and see what they say and of course get any advice in writing

my advice is dont shoot the gull :lol: . . . simple

as for whether an air riffle is the best to shoot whatever quarry with . . i just dont know cos im learning as i read and im pondering whether to get one or not for the rabbits on the land i shoot this i do know though. . .

its more complecated buying an airgun than a shotgun :lol:

lets see how much clearer can this be made......

We recommend that you refrain from using them[airguns] on live quarry other than the following: crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons, brown rats, grey squirrels and rabbits.

Maybe the above statement is beyond your comprehension so please use the following advice to the best of your abilities (which from the sounds of your posts may be very limited)

"Never guess at what the Law allows.

if in doubt, contact BASC or your local police firearms licensing department" (quoted from BASC web site)

For a 51 year old you act like a complete muppet when it comes to airguns, some people think youngesters are a danger to our sport.

on a personal note, and please dont take offence at this question, but your name wouldnt be John or Jack? (or possibly john but known as Jack please dont tell me its Kermit LOLLOL).

just out of curiosity what air rifle do you own? not that i would belive you own anything other than a chinese B2.

ROB :good:

Rob, I don't think that there has ever been any question that gulls are not on the BASC list, only that there has never been any definitive answer as to why this should be the case. Now while asking BASC themselves may produce an answer, I suspect that it would actually just produce a reiteration of what you posted at the top of your posting.

Whilst it could be argued that to shoot other prey is not in the best interest of the sport, you would have to admit that BASC are not a legislative body, and all they do is make a recomendation. I don't think that it is unreasonable to poll opinion in a forum such as this as to how BASC have come by the basis for that recomendation, indeed, isn't that the main purpose of this forum, to share knowledge?

I don't think that the OP deserves to be called names, just because he asks a reasonable question, which to date has only been answered by 'because BASC say so!', which to my way of thinking, is neither informative, nor informed.

Just my two Zlotys

Rob, I don't think that there has ever been any question that gulls are not on the BASC list, only that there has never been any definitive answer as to why this should be the case. Now while asking BASC themselves may produce an answer, I suspect that it would actually just produce a reiteration of what you posted at the top of your posting.

now then if i were calling him names it would have beena lot worse than MUPPET :good:

as for the latter part, if he feels he could legaly get away with shooting seagulls without wounding or causing harm to the animal then fair play let him shoot them in his garden all he wants. But rememebr there are people out there who are just waiting for things like this to happen so they can shout as loud as they can and point fingers. They are call the Gun-control network, and belive it or not know about this forum as well as the majority of other shooting forums, this is exactly the sort of attitude they want to see.

Rapid bunnys attitude is one i would have expected to get from a 16-17 year old, "why?:lol: oh its soooo unfair!" and storm off in a huff. Shooting is a sport that needs to be policed from within not left to those outside our sport to dictate what we can and cant do. The more often stupid questions like this are asked, the sooner control is removed from our hands. If this is what you want then give rapid bunny as much support as you feel he deserves.

ROB :lol:

ps lets asume he s able to humanly dispatch them, what happens after that? cant be eaten, cant be burnt without a pong drifting over the neighbourhood. i cant really think of what would happen to them other than being chucked ina corner somewhere encoruaging scavengers (which are on the recomended quary list)

Interesting thread with some good points raised .On a personal note i can't identify what's on the list and what's not where gulls are concerned as they all look the same to me and so I refrain from shooting them .However from being at Padstow this year they are a bloody nuisance with their scavaging and excrement everywhere and a serious problem created by man and therefore be solved by man .yes i would quite happily blast a few off the planet . :lol:

I would use a .17 hmr though :good:

.However from being at Padstow this year they are a bloody nuisance with their scavaging and excrement everywhere

You get no argument from me on the fact of them being a pest, every car i have owned for the last 8 years has had the paint on either the roof or the bonnet damanged by there guano. But do i feel a standard air rifle is he right tool for the job, nope.

Lets use this recomendation as a cmparision as it all comes down to that one word "RECOMENDED".

You can use a pair of mole grips to remove the nut and bolt, but i wouldnt recomend it!

To some people the reasons are blindingly obviouse, but to others its no so clear. The same applies to the reasons that this question has been asked. Some people know that a standrad rifle is not the right tool for the job, and some people just have no idea.

ROB :good:

lets see how much clearer can this be made......

"Never guess at what the Law allows.

if in doubt, contact BASC or your local police firearms licensing department" (quoted from BASC web site)

For a 51 year old you act like a complete muppet when it comes to airguns, some people think youngesters are a danger to our sport.

on a personal note, and please dont take offence at this question, but your name wouldnt be John or Jack? (or possibly john but known as Jack please dont tell me its Kermit LOLLOL).

just out of curiosity what air rifle do you own? not that i would belive you own anything other than a chinese B2.

sinse you asked me a question or two, here is my reply. My name is neither John nor Jack :lol: and I have a .177 W100 shooting at 12 ft/lb. I can group within 20mm at 30 Metres. My question is a valid one, at no time have I been un polite. The BASC are not likely to explain why they recommend this. Also why do you think my age is 51? I presume you can add :good:

.However from being at Padstow this year they are a bloody nuisance with their scavaging and excrement everywhere

You get no argument from me on the fact of them being a pest, every car i have owned for the last 8 years has had the paint on either the roof or the bonnet damanged by there guano. But do i feel a standard air rifle is he right tool for the job, nope.

Glad to hear that :lol:

Walked out of a shop in Padstow (cornwall )and watched a seagull fly down and grab a whole icecream cornet WITH A FLAKE AS WELL straight out of a childs hand who happened to be strapped in her pushchair ........Poor soul .....you could see the fear in her eyes .

It's easy to hate these scavengers but I imagine in June the tourist would be quite happily feeding them then as the season wore on there was a realisation what a nuisance they had become and so stopped this act which leads to the example given :lol: ...........

I never have been a fan of a legal limit Air rifle for humane dispatch because it's being used to it's maximum potential most of the time where the margin for error is miniscule but i would definately not use one on Gull ..........If I lived near the Coast i would definately knock a few off though :good:

sinse you asked me a question or two, here is my reply. My name is neither John nor Jack :lol: and I have a .177 W100 shooting at 12 ft/lb. I can group within 20mm at 30 Metres. My question is a valid one, at no time have I been un polite. The BASC are not likely to explain why they recommend this. Also why do you think my age is 51? I presume you can add :good:

easy question first yes i can add (or even subtract as is needed here) but i never claimed to be able to do it accuratly :lol: the point i was trying to raise is, you would be classed as well into middle age regardless of being 48 or 51, you are certainly well out of your teens. Which is when i would have expected to see an attitude like yours.

You cant even be bothered to contact BASC for yourself to find out the reasons that they dont include any gulls on ther recomended quarry. Surly if you had an issue with thier recomendations they would be the first people to contact about this matter? so why do you feel that people outside that organisation would be able to supply you with an answer? You seem to be so stupid you cant realise how bad this is making things look for the future of our sport.

as for the w100 never heard of that rifle. (you want to be pedantic about semantics so can I :lol: )

and yes i live near the sea where seagulls are a royal pain in the ****, especialy since i live in an area where the only type of bin used on bin day is a black bag! If I try to keep things nice and tidy and put out my refuse ina plastic bin, it wont be collected! But i have to say i have never been tempted to reach for my fenman or any other rifle i have owned.

2 SPECIFIC QUESTIONS:

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE GUN CONTROL NETWORK CAN AND DO READ THIS FORUM?

IN WHICH WAY DO YOU BELIVE THIS POST IS ABLE CONTRIBUTE IN A GOOD WAY TO OUR SPORT?

now go and buy a train set, you should be safe with that :o

ROB :D

as for the w100 never heard of that rifle. (you want to be pedantic about semantics so can I :lol: )

and yes i live near the sea where seagulls are a royal pain in the ****, especialy since i live in an area where the only type of bin used on bin day is a black bag! If I try to keep things nice and tidy and put out my refuse ina plastic bin, it wont be collected! But i have to say i have never been tempted to reach for my fenman or any other rifle i have owned.

2 SPECIFIC QUESTIONS:

IN WHICH WAY DO YOU BELIVE THIS POST IS ABLE CONTRIBUTE IN A GOOD WAY TO OUR SPORT?

now go and buy a train set, you should be safe with that :lol:

Ok its a HW100S (Weihrauch) :o

I fully understand the gun control network reads this and many other forums as well. I suspect that they too know the real law as it stands now. I see nothing wrong with remaining within the truth.

The truth is in knowing the law and understanding its limitations, but not to the extent that it spoils our enjoyment by over assuming we are breaking the law when in fact we are not.

By pointing out the truth of the law will show to everyone reading this forum that in fact we know our stuff. :good:

2 SPECIFIC QUESTIONS:

That does'nt surprise me but saying something and actually carrying the act out are two entirely different things .

In fact on all Forums it's mostly the airgunning sections that let the side down simply because it is and always will be a shooters first introduction to the sport where inexperience and naivety come into play and any responsible orginisation i imagine are aware of this .

The fact that there is a experienced balance at play to counteract the above with words of wisdom and experience can only be a positive thing IMO and present a good impression that we can Police ourselves .

The proof of the pudding will be the day that some inexperienced novice manages to post a picture of a protected species of his/her first kill with themselves clearly in the frame and the Mods are'nt there to delete it in time :good: ...........Then we'll all see if we truely are being monitored and who by :lol:

The title of this thread is, "BASC recommended quarry for airguns".

A member asked why seagulls were omitted and received a number of sensible suggestions.

This bone will continue to be gnawed until the seagulls (or is it cows ? ) come home.

For an authoritative reply, as to why seagulls are not on the BASC recommended quarry for airguns, please contact the BASC, they are the only people with the definitive answer and not just an opinion.

I am now closing this thread.

I wouldn't suggest anyone posts a, "Can I shoot a fox (or hare) with an airgun ?" post, for quite a while. :good: