Vertical stringing

it strings vertically yet within 1" at 125 yds? try it further, is it much worse? Chrongraphs are you friend on load development especially if limited to such shorter ranges.

if no issue with consistant speed then look at bedding, action screw tentions, mounts then scope and the hold you use try hard hold / soft hold and free recoil etc.

I have put the load over a chronograph and got less than 15 fps variance over 12 shots which i don’t think is bad, at 200 yards it is about 1 ½ “ which would kill any fox but i would just like to get it right.

shootingcharley.

15 fps will not effect 125 yds groups, the load is not yet sorted or its another issue. no point having a .20 cal if it wont do better than that IMO i can and do get better at 200 with the Hornet, not bragging just illustrating you aint getting the best out of it. Back to the loading room i think as i have no idea how good the gun is or shooter for that matter, it might need a different bullet or something difficult to say. But if you going for a tecnically superiour calibre to the run of the mill .22 CF's then there aint much point if it dont shoot better however "accurate enough" for 200yds foxes it might well be at that stated std.

A note take the total added of velocities recorded then divide by the number recorded and you have the true Standard deviation or SD 15fps is good enough for any hunting purpose calculated as above it will not give you any real issues to much more distant ranges

A note take the total added of velocities recorded then divide by the number recorded and you have the true Standard deviation or SD 15fps is good enough for any hunting purpose calculated as above it will not give you any real issues to much more distant ranges

It's probably me, but try as hard as I can I can't undrestand that and it looks like a useful bit of info. Could you kindly reword that a little for the benefit of this thicky?

Many thanks.

It's probably me, but try as hard as I can I can't undrestand that and it looks like a useful bit of info. Could you kindly reword that a little for the benefit of this thicky?

Many thanks.

You add total velocities up then divide by number taken, thats the average velocity, to get the SD is then the individual velocity differences from the average previously calculated divided by the number of readings. sorry must have got sidetracked. OR buy a chrono that does it for you :good:

I have never had a load string due to neck tension, although at present I anneal with regularity. I am not saying it is not possible just outside the realm of anything I had heard of.

i dont aneal but i seriously doubt the load was sorted purely by adding 2 tho extra tention to the neck, although it might well have produced better at a subsequent testing. Even neck tention will have an effect but adding 2 tho more i seriously doubt that gave the improvement

i dont aneal but i seriously doubt the load was sorted purely by adding 2 tho extra tention to the neck, although it might well have produced better at a subsequent testing. Even neck tention will have an effect but adding 2 tho more i seriously doubt that gave the improvement

I think when ShootingCharley said adding 2 thou more neck tension he meant he reduced his bushing by 2 thou not the length of the neck by sizing it 2 thou more into the die.

I think when ShootingCharley said adding 2 thou more neck tension he meant he reduced his bushing by 2 thou not the length of the neck by sizing it 2 thou more into the die.

Yes i am aware of that, it dont make much difference in terms of accuraccy unless his previous brass was springing back. If it were springing back then the bullets could be pushed into the case or pulled by hand. two tho' or four tho' of grip wont change a load significantly. This springing back sometimes occurs quite a while after the round is produced and is the only reason i know why extra tention of .002" would help

Kent - I can assure you that on the very small cases 2 thou can be quite significant in closing up groups. I see you do not anneal, so I suppose it follows that your theory once again is that " it dont make much difference in terms of accuraccy". Apart from extending brass life it does also to a certain degree assist with the prevention of excess spring back. Can I assume you use Redding bushings on your various calibres?

Kent - I can assure you that on the very small cases 2 thou can be quite significant in closing up groups. I see you do not anneal, so I suppose it follows that your theory once again is that " it dont make much difference in terms of accuraccy". Apart from extending brass life it does also to a certain degree assist with the prevention of excess spring back. Can I assume you use Redding bushings on your various calibres?

No i am not having it coz after testing i never found a jot of difference, i have had spring back giving issues- but 2 tho' or 4 tho' nope! grip is grip. when you consider the bullet re-expands it anyway on seating another .002" is nothing provided the first is good (which it might not be). Even necks are the key not tighter ones, pull a bullet from a std one size fits all neck die and one from a bushing they should be quite similar due to the fact that the bullet re-expands them

i use LE Wilson gear generally and buy one size smaller bushing at the same time as the so called correct one as you dont know how much spring back will occur.

i don't anneal and can get many,many reloads before i get cracked necks. Correct anealing will extend life bad anealing wont, there are some cartridges that need anealing as the brass is overworked in fire-forming etc. but i don't care to own such guns personally.

You add total velocities up then divide by number taken, thats the average velocity, to get the SD is then the individual velocity differences from the average previously calculated divided by the number of readings. sorry must have got sidetracked. OR buy a chrono that does it for you :good:

Many thanks, I'm with it now. That makes 4 methods that I've looked at and they give 4 different answers (I like yours as it's the lowest figure). I was only looking at it half out of boredom and half to see what factory loads produce so I could compare my homeloads. However, just read Denton Bramwell (whoever he is, but he makes perfect sense) and I think I'll just aim to continue to keep my spread to below 50 (which it would seem is about 60% of across the board factory loads).

Even necks are the key not tighter ones, pull a bullet from a std one size fits all neck die and one from a bushing they should be quite similar due to the fact that the bullet re-expands them

Similar as in English Springer Spaniel and Welsh Springer Spaniel? LOL. OK I will just have to accept your opinion - not something that would be shared with by most benchrest shooters.

I assume you also shoot something in the .17 to 20 calibre range to have come to these conclusions?

That's not Standard Deviation. Here is a short explanation on why there is a difference between your "average of the difference to average" and SD.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html#WhySquare

Similar as in English Springer Spaniel and Welsh Springer Spaniel? LOL. OK I will just have to accept your opinion - not something that would be shared with by most benchrest shooters.

I assume you also shoot something in the .17 to 20 calibre range to have come to these conclusions?

No i dont but my conclusion is based on real testing and simple common knoledge that the bullet pushes the brass out adding .002" if the present setting gives correct grip will not add any appriciable amount of grip as its re-expanded via the bullet. I have had past issues with grip relaxing and needing to move it more in the first place but if you doubt me try this;

load one round with a factory non bushing die on the neck and one with your favoured bushing. Now pull both bullets with a kinetic hammer and re-insert the bullets in both with a hand die in an arbour press or between your knees. Both will feel the same, simply the brass moves back from the bullet just like using an expander mandrel.

I know i lost the end of the paragraph somehow, check the latter post

That's wrong too. Have a look at the link I posted, right at the bottom of the page it explains the importance of square and square root in the equation - to take account of numbers well outside the normal. In our terms they would be "fliers".

Perhaps we have a mathematician here who can explain it better than me, it's not something I would ever use in reality.