RTA did I do the right thing?

Fisherman Mike

Scully,

It might not be right to judge it but it is right to report it.

If you think someone is unfit for whatever reason it should be reported. All that happens it that the DVLA will contact them and ask them to go for a medical with their GP or go for an eye test.

The experts can then make the decision.

I was stationary in an unmarked police car when a bloke reversed into me. He looked a little upset when I stepped out in uniform!

It turned out his licence had been revoked on medical grounds. He was only in his 50's but had quite a few problems relating to his diabetes.

Harry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't our position to judge whether someone else is fit to drive or not,based on a persons age or any other premise.Any of the posts offered as examples could equally apply to anybody of any age.By all means inform the authorities and let them decide,it is not for us to decide who is fit/unfit to drive.

I cannot abide those who sit in judgement of others,when that judgement is based on no further knowledge than mere assumption.The poster who stated'she was obviously suffering from dementia or whatever' is a prime example.Do you KNOW she was sufering from dementia or whatever?Could it not have been shock? It frightens me sometimes that some of the posters on here actually may be summoned for jury service at some time.

My former boss' wife was hit from behind while she was stationary,on a straight sretch of road,indicating to turn.She saw the car gaining on her fast in her rear view mirror,and screamed at the kids to brace themselves just before impact.The car hit them,the police later said,in excess of 80 mph,and the impact snapped the rear seats of her car in half.She had a VW camper van with 3 rows of seats,the kids were in the second row.

Turned out the driver was on his phone.Unfit to drive?Should we ban him?Before your child is next?Or give him another chance,because of his age?If he'd been 70 or older would we give him another chance?

We've had this topic before.It's so easy,at a comparatively young age to sit and judge others,but it would be interesting in many years to come,to see your reactions when some of you are judged unfit to drive,or forced to resit your driving test,and fail.

Don't rush to judge.

Sorry but I'm tempted to say you're talking out of your bumhole. We are not setting ourselves up as judges (at least I'm not), what we are saying is give the authorities a chance to judge. Also, we are not making this decision on the basis of assumptions, we are making it on the basis of both personal experience and the facts Mike has told us. If you think driving skills is not impaired by dotage you are living in a dreamworld. I would like to see all elderly people given the support to be as independent as possible, for as long as possible, but sometimes enough is enough.

Your post is bordering on hysterical.

Well funny. I got to the end of Scullys post and all I read from that was "my names Scully I'm an old terror behind the wheel in the making but I really need my car".

******, old, blind or just rubbish at driving I don't care - get 'em off the road.

If they breathalyse suspect drink drivers they should re-test suspect rubbish drivers, re-eye test suspect blind drivers and health check doddery old coffin dodger drivers.

If they breathalyse suspect drink drivers they should re-test suspect rubbish drivers, re-eye test suspect blind drivers and health check doddery old coffin dodger drivers.

There's going to be an awful lot of testing then not just from the 70+ group but from the 17+ onwards........ the system isn't set up to cope with that amount of retests so chaos will rein...

I saw an RTA this week in Bala. An old boy reversed out of a parking space in the High Street and straight into the side of a recovery truck, which was travelling carefully through a busy street at say 5mph. I was right behind the truck. Made a hell of a mess of the back of his car. When he got out to inspect the damage he was in shock and had to hold onto the truck to steady himself. As we get older we have to pay even more attention to things going on around us. Wife has just reminded me some might think me an old boy. :yes::cry1: :wacko: :unsure:

Did exactly the right thing. My mum is now 81, 2 years ago i had a discussion which turned into a row about her continuing driving as she had macular degeneration.

I advised her that i she did not have an eye test i would advise the DVLA that she was not safe to drive. She threatened to disown me and i said "fine, i would rather that than have an injury or death on my consience".

A week later she apologised and agreed it was the right thing to do.

As somone has already said, next time it could be you or one of your family.

My mum is 80 and she would not be driving if I had my way. She's OK going down the supermarket or to the charity shop where she helps out. However, put her on a motorway or a busy A road and I dread to think what would happen. Old age has its limitations

Edited by Vince Green

Im not going to pick on any age groups,but unfortunately i can assure you that on certain time & days of the week i have to deal with issues relating to the original post,its becoming a bloody nightmare to be honest... I hope that when my driving-riding time is up,il deal with it before things get out of hand.....

There's going to be an awful lot of testing then not just from the 70+ group but from the 17+ onwards........ the system isn't set up to cope with that amount of retests so chaos will rein...

I have to have a medical every three years for my PSV licence at my own expense. It costs around £160. If you don't want to pay, don't drive. Compared to the other costs associated with motoring its peanuts.

Quite simply, we will all (if we're lucky) end up in a state where we aren't safe to drive due to age/medical problems. While I fully understand that a car can be a very important way for an old person to retain some independence and to visit relatives etc, when it gets to a point where they are a danger to other people then they must stop.

I very much hope that when I reach that point I'll recognize it myself and do something about it, however many people clearly don't/can't do this, and often wont accept it when someone tells them they're dangerous.

I think that reporting them is the only way forward, it's not me or you making the decision that they are unfit to drive, your informing someone else (who's in a far better position with facts) about your suspicions.

I have to have a medical every three years for my PSV licence at my own expense. It costs around £160. If you don't want to pay, don't drive. Compared to the other costs associated with motoring its peanuts.

£160 every three years? You're lucky my Class 1 aviation medical is between £200 -£400 every year!

That aside I have no problem with medicals/biannual test but it needs to be done across the board as there are an equal proportion of rubbish drivers spread throughout the age range of 17 onwards.

I did read most oldies have low speed collisions and tend to drive slowly where most young drivers tend to have high speed collisions where death is more prevalent. Certainly the insurance premiums are extortionate for young people.

I think every driver should have a retest every 5 years! Not a pass/fail type of thing, but more an assessment of your abilities with mandatory re-training where needed.

I passed my test 32 years ago, I am sure I'd need to brush up some aspects of driving to pass the test as taken today.

Having had 1st hand experience of the stress and upset caused by older drivers who are no longer fit to drive I would suggest that you should have done the right thing and contacted the Police if you think she is unfit to be on the road.

My Uncle who has now sadly passed away had his licence revoked when he was around 80 after being diagnosed with Alzeihmers. He didnt take kindly to being told not to drive having driven for some 60+yrs! However he regularly tried to gain access to his car and eventually my Auntie had to have a new lock fitted to the car door and hide the new key to prevent him opening and driving away in the car! This worked for some time and eventually he seemed to stop trying to use his old keys (which he would not give up) Anyway one day they were shopping and when returning to the car they both got in the car, when my Auntie realised she had left her purse in a shop, she told him to stay put in the passenger sear and she nipped back to the shop. yup you guessed it she returned to find the car disapperaing into the distance with a very ill man behind the wheel! For reasons still unknown to us he got to the end of the road (about 1/4mile) and turned around and stopped where my Auntie quickly took the keys from him!! She was terrified knowing what could have happened, we have no doubt had he continued on the road someone would have been seriously injured or worse! very shortly after this he was sadly hospitalised and pass away, we now have a wee laugh at his final drive and bid for freedom but at the time it was a nightmare!!

There comes a time in all our lives when we need to accept (or those around us that know and love us need to accept) that enough is enough and we are no longer safe to drive! When I was younger I used to say to my Dad that once everyone gets to 70 they should have their licence taken from them lol. He know regularly reminds me of my silly comments when he is dropping us of at the pub (he is now 71) :) For some it might be 70, 75, 80 or 85 but there is a point where folks lose reactions/ability or whatever and they need to be told its time to get a bus! Also totally accept that there are lots of **** young and middle aged drivers as well by the way!!!

The only thing I would add to this is asomeone has already said the young lads insurance will go up and maybe to a point were he cant afford it just because the old lady has run into him,and he therefor been involved in an accident ! I'll let judge if that fear or not ! I've twice now people rear end me while waiting to turn right at a juction.both times they were bloke in their early 40s and both time they said they didnt see me !

Edited by gamekeeper1960

Well funny. I got to the end of Scullys post and all I read from that was "my names Scully I'm an old terror behind the wheel in the making but I really need my car".

******, old, blind or just rubbish at driving I don't care - get 'em off the road.

Just what I've come to expect from you...Mr Perfect;utter,illogical drivel.Nicely trolled drivel mind you,but drivel all the same.I'm never quite sure whether you're extrememly immature or just a ****.No doubt your next post will enlighten me.

So glad you didn't disappoint.Talking of viewpoints,perhaps you should see a DR about that egotistical chip on your shoulder;it's obviously impairing your view.No doubt you'll see things differently as you grow older,but in the meantime we wouldn't want that chip to cause an accident would we.Best get it looked at.

I think that modern science is keeping too many old people going. In the old days you didn't see so many old people. Today you can't go anywhere without be stuck behind one. The NHS is struggling under the weight of all these oldies.

I went to the chemist the other day and it was full of old people, I turned round and gave up. I suggest that driving licences are revoked at the age of 70 and a curfew system is put in place so that young people can use the roads, shops, pubs and other places without being held up by doddery wrinklies.

Edited by ME

Actually, although you are being sarcastic you do raise a good point. We all want to live to a great age and why not? However, a lot of these old people have a miserable and meaningless existence. It does make you wonder. Anyone who's jobs bring them into regular contact with old people must know what I mean

Edited by Vince Green