What kennel and run size

brettguise

Ok so Im starting to sort the kennel and run out for the Labrador pup I will be getting. Just wondering what size is best for a dog that will be in the kennel to sleep and in the hours that I am at work but will be out around the house when I'm home and have plenty of exercise. When the puppy gets a bit older and obedient I may give him the run of the garden with my other two dogs. I was looking at this on the bay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TANALISED-DOG-KENNEL-AND-RUN-12-X-6-TRADE-PRICES-/230728465291?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item35b87cfb8b#ht_2015wt_1037

Im guessing the dog will sleep most of the day anyway just want to give it the best possible life during the day if it does want to venture a little bit.

big run than you might expect and smaller sleeping quarters than you anticipate

Idea of the ideal size? Originally I was thinking a 6x4 shed with a side run made from panels but I feel for one dog the shed will be too big and not hold the heat. So Im open to a small kennel and a long run but I don't know if that one is too short.

Idea of the ideal size? Originally I was thinking a 6x4 shed with a side run made from panels but I feel for one dog the shed will be too big and not hold the heat. So Im open to a small kennel and a long run but I don't know if that one is too short.

your on the right lines a shed will certainly require a smaller sleeping box. Its very subjective to pocket and available area, though personally i might add i hate wood - it stinks of pee after a short while, splinters, rots and gets chewed. I have a Mitton Hall plasitic and steel built kennels but my second choice would be blockwork with insulated walls burn on felt pitched roof and steel galvanised run pannels perhaps on a low block wall. The Mitton hall suffers from the roof which drips condensation but the lot can be attacked with disinfectant and a hose and doesnt look as unsightly as blockwork that tends to exude salts etc and look scruffy throught its life

I'm with kent … i think woods ok as a temp kennel (someone home all the time and short periods etc) but something more substantial for longer and security is poor with wood kennels too .. something else to consider (but depends where u live lol )

Edited by jinxy72

Sorry, another Mitton owner. Chatsworth 6. 4'x3' lodges and 7' x4' runs. Size seems fine. Afraid I would never choose to have wooden kennels ever again.

I have inherited a set of Neaverson wooden kennels and I really think a match is the only answer. Stinking, chewed, greasy and horrible.

As you wanted to keep the dog inside sometimes, it should be house trained. This way, the kennel should not stink of wee or anything else as she/he will be in a routine and not go in the kennel. My kennels are wooden and are a bit chewed to be fair. If I was rebuilding, I would choose something different.

As big as what you can give them :good:

Another vote for Mitton Hall. I have a 10ft Blenheim in bar. Cost a lot compared to wood but will last a lot longer, does not need treating and does not stink of ****. With the locks I have on the doors it's also very secure. I even have a heater and light fitted.

Harry

Why have a heater they have a coat ???

i have heaters, is some fool saying dogs can live in anything without heat? we had minus 30 degrees here winter before last. I use the heaters when its cold and will also shut the hatches on the sleeping quarters when required. This is one downside of the MH system, the lack of insulation

How about a metal shed then? I can just hose the inside and planning on using galvanised panels on the front and padlock the shed door and door on the panels. Hopefully that would be secure enough. Thanks for all the advice and 10ft seems to be fine.

Edited by brettguise

Just a word to the wise ! ive been hitched for over 30 years now, and soon learnt that when coming back from a shoot via the pub then via a mates kitchen, arriving home compleatly mortalled, to find the house locked up cause she dont like the smell of booze and hot air ballons, i made the dog bed in the shed long enough to sleep in and cozy with drop down covers and a 60watt infa-red lamp 8" of dust extracted shavings, always kept and still do an army sleeping bag in the shed for such an occasion...always slept like a baby in the kennel, quite an experience waking up covered in dogs which use you as a pillow......it was difficult to crawl thro the flap for a whas in the run.............

i have heaters, is some fool saying dogs can live in anything without heat? we had minus 30 degrees here winter before last. I use the heaters when its cold and will also shut the hatches on the sleeping quarters when required. This is one downside of the MH system, the lack of insulation

YIP and my gwp loved it actually one night around 11:30 looking out into his run he was sleeping on his wooden bed outside, when he has the option of sleeping in a lovely insulated bed ?

Hutchie,

We have a border collie on the farm who lives outside all year. Give him a blanket or bed and he drags it out. He sleeps on a board in -15°c. He refuses to come inside. His coat is really thick and he copes well with it.

My GWP lives in the house but is kenneled when im at work, when he's filthy or when I want him out of the way. Because he spends most winter evenings in front of the wood burner or Rayburn I think it would unfair to put him out in the cold all day. His coat is quite short/thin for a GWP so he has a heater.

Harry

YIP and my gwp loved it actually one night around 11:30 looking out into his run he was sleeping on his wooden bed outside, when he has the option of sleeping in a lovely insulated bed ?

Loved it i seriously doubt at 30 below!, the Lab will sleep outside and has a far better coat than any wire- BUT I HAVE KNOWN LABRODOR DOGS DIE OF EXPOSURE. A heater on the colder nights or when the dog comes back after a hard wet session wildfowling or in the wet gererally is just good practice

Loved it i seriously doubt at 30 below!, the Lab will sleep outside and has a far better coat than any wire- BUT I HAVE KNOWN LABRODOR DOGS DIE OF EXPOSURE. A heater on the colder nights or when the dog comes back after a hard wet session wildfowling or in the wet gererally is just good practice

??? my gwp does not feel the cold one bit !! he is currently sitting at 45k in weight (large dog) and is a pure work horse he does not need the heat and does not like it either as i have tried him in the house on that particular year and all he did was sit at the back door with his tongue hanging out his head whining to get out ,obviously after working him from 4:30am for the geese dawn flight,then 9:30 for pheasant then 01:30 for more pheasant+duck after lunch, and then around 03:30 for more duck !,he gets a good warm feed and a dry off with a towel and that's what he likes so there is no SERIOUS doubt about it!!, my dogs are well looked after and are treated fair but just because i don't have a heater in my kennel doesn't mean its not right! i know a good few people that don't have heaters in kennels and there springers, labs are just fine in the cold winter months in Scotland :yes:

Hutchie, stop showing the big roughty toughty face. My wire was a total animal of 47 kg with a great thick coat, yet only just breed std for height always slept outside and we live in a pretty rough exposed spot on the side of a fell 850 ft up. However i know of Labs that are undoubtedly thier superiour in handling the conditions die from exposure. when the water bowl freezes solid in the heated area in an hour or so its blooming cold. Heaters are a good idea you dont have to turn them on but you can't if you aint got one and as for kenneling advice they are a good consideration

Hutchie, stop showing the big roughty toughty face. My wire was a total animal of 47 kg with a great thick coat, yet only just breed std for height always slept outside and we live in a pretty rough exposed spot on the side of a fell 850 ft up. However i know of Labs that are undoubtedly thier superiour in handling the conditions die from exposure. when the water bowl freezes solid in the heated area in an hour or so its blooming cold. Heaters are a good idea you dont have to turn them on but you can't if you aint got one and as for kenneling advice they are a good consideration

??? read what i just said !!! he does not like the heat its nothing to do to do with me wanting to give him heat or having what you describe me as having a (roughty toughty face) whatever that means? :no: he just doesn't like it !!

Well guys ive purchased my lab shes ready next week, comes from working parents with a history of gamekeepers and a mix of FTCH throughout the lines as well. Really pleased. Now im constructing the run! Going to make the run 3m and the shed on the end of it.