What kennel and run size

brettguise

Well guys ive purchased my lab shes ready next week, comes from working parents with a history of gamekeepers and a mix of FTCH throughout the lines as well. Really pleased. Now im constructing the run! Going to make the run 3m and the shed on the end of it.

about ten feet, sounds ok. was it a metal shed? condensation can get quite bad i am told, though it wont get chewed. have fun take it slow

??? read what i just said !!! he does not like the heat its nothing to do to do with me wanting to give him heat or having what you describe me as having a (roughty toughty face) whatever that means? :no: he just doesn't like it !!

You dont have to turn the darn thing on but you cant if you aint got it. A ceramic heater wont get any dog hot in midwinter

about ten feet, sounds ok. was it a metal shed? condensation can get quite bad i am told, though it wont get chewed. have fun take it slow

Im probably going to go for a wooden shed and line the dog pen with something I can clean. Going to section off the back bit for the dog to sleep in and use the rest of the shed as the shooting shed with all the gun stuff in there and a place to relax with the dog. Vinyl floor so it can be mopped etc. Was thinking of some of that chrome splash back stuff in the dog bit that way I can disinfect and wipe it without it getting greasy and smelling like some people have said.

Here's one I made earlier! :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/209496-new-kennel/

I am in the process of building a dog box from ply lined cellotex panels to fit inside the shed for the winter ahead. I use wood pellets on the floor of the shed to help dry his feet & coat. No need to mop out just sweep up and replace. :good:

I have a kennel from ultra kennels 12 x6 I insulated the walls and roof of the sleeping quarters, 6x4 it came with an insulated floor but I added a 30mm horse mat for extra comfort:- http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

the outside run is 8 x 6 wooden walls on three sides supported off the concrete on wood blocks it has a vertical bar front and door, all chewable edges have been protected with metal, and the whole thing is made off tanelised timber. it kept the dogs as warm as toast all winter and it doesn`t smell or rot and hasn`t been chewed, it should last a good twenty + years.

top tip. awlays site the kennel with its back to the prevailing wind

http://www.ultrakenn...uk/reviews.html

Edited by malantone

Im probably going to go for a wooden shed and line the dog pen with something I can clean. Going to section off the back bit for the dog to sleep in and use the rest of the shed as the shooting shed with all the gun stuff in there and a place to relax with the dog. Vinyl floor so it can be mopped etc. Was thinking of some of that chrome splash back stuff in the dog bit that way I can disinfect and wipe it without it getting greasy and smelling like some people have said.

As I said in an earlier post, if you take the time to house train the pup, he/she wont go in the kennel. = no mopping out and no smells. If you ended up going on holiday etc, the dog could stay with someone if house trained. If not, its stuck to kennels. Nothing wrong with that by the way but mine stay with family if we have to go away. Would not have that option if not house trained. Just a thought!

Quite a lot of talk about heaters. I will be moving to my first house in about a months time and will have to get a pen constructed. What do you guys use for heaters? Is it just a matter of a blow heater turned on when its really cold?

Here's one I made earlier! :lol:

http://forums.pigeon...496-new-kennel/

I am in the process of building a dog box from ply lined cellotex panels to fit inside the shed for the winter ahead. I use wood pellets on the floor of the shed to help dry his feet & coat. No need to mop out just sweep up and replace. :good:

I have that picture already saved its where I got my idea from :good: , ill be constructing the same but with a pent shed then a roof extended off the side above the panels as a shelter for the run. How much did the concrete base cost? Id like to concrete it but I think its going to be too expensive.

I have a kennel from ultra kennels 12 x6 I insulated the walls and roof of the sleeping quarters, 6x4 it came with an insulated floor but I added a 30mm horse mat for extra comfort:- http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

the outside run is 8 x 6 wooden walls on three sides supported off the concrete on wood blocks it has a vertical bar front and door, all chewable edges have been protected with metal, and the whole thing is made off tanelised timber. it kept the dogs as warm as toast all winter and it doesn`t smell or rot and hasn`t been chewed, it should last a good twenty + years.

top tip. awlays site the kennel with its back to the prevailing wind

http://www.ultrakenn...uk/reviews.html

I have looked at these but they arent big enough to use as a shed for me as well, somewhere to gut what Ive shot and store the shooting gear. Perfect for a dog kennel and run though.

As I said in an earlier post, if you take the time to house train the pup, he/she wont go in the kennel. = no mopping out and no smells. If you ended up going on holiday etc, the dog could stay with someone if house trained. If not, its stuck to kennels. Nothing wrong with that by the way but mine stay with family if we have to go away. Would not have that option if not house trained. Just a thought!

The puppy will be house trained because most of the time it will be in the house with my other dogs so fingers crossed it wont use the run to go to the loo!