Air rifle questions!

parapilot

Hi guys,  

Just got a webley raider 2 shot pcp, I'm quite new to air rifles, being more at home with fac rim / center fire and shotgun.  

What should I fill it to?  I hear if you fill to max 190, then the power will rise for a few shots or be inconsistent. Should I fill it lower like 150 bar?  What range will I get Max power. 

How many shots should I expect? Will I notice the power drop quickly when in needs filling? (I have pump not bottle)

What pellets should I chrono it with to be safe, magnums? 

Any other tips for a airgun novice!!!!! 

Cheers

Jamie

Apparently...

The webley raider is a basic pcp which is good value for the money , shot count for a .22 would be around 50---60 shots per fill. This would suggest 40-50 for a .177. Normally you'd fill to 190 rather than more and expect to be refilling at around 120 bar. Shot consitency should be fairly consistent within those parameters. Pellets will start dropping quite noticeably when pressure becomes too low. You need to put a good few pellets through it and find out for yourself what your gun does though.

You should chrono a few different pellets and but most importantly see what your gun 'likes' and chrono those. As I understand it, if the Police chrono it, they will use what you have been shooting with as well as a few others. My Daystate chronos at it's highest with Bisley mags...doesn't mean yours will though.

As with any gun, punch paper to find your aim points at different ranges and establish your guns 'sweet spot', that being the pressures at which it starts to shoot consitently and where it stops shooting consistently.

So, I've just been looking at the Webley website (to see if it's regulated, it isn't) and for the Raider 10...they say that shot counts are in the low 20's for .177 and .22 which, IMO is really poor!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Thanks guys, it was only 100 quid so thought I'd have a play, and have something I could use for pinking in the garden with my son.

iv just spent quite a bit on my new browning so the missus would kill me if buy anything good - they just dont understand!!!

I'll have a play with it see how it goes when I get a chance.

Cheers

give Webley a call, they can tell you the recommended pressure. Using a pump is not that difficult, especially on a gun with a small cylinder, as long as you use the weight of your body to do the work and bend at the knees and not with your back it's fine. I have a pump with my S510 and once you get it filled up, it's really a matter of just topping it up and as you get fewer shots to each charge, filling it up will take less time as well.

not sure I follow you with what range will you get the max power? It will obviously lose energy the moment it leaves the barrel, so in terms of max power, ummm 0yds? But if you're talking max distances for a killing shot, that's a bit more complicated! I've never shot anything more than 45yds and even then it's on exceptional days where range finding is easy and there's no wind! I don't know much about the accuracy of the Webley air rifles, but I think most people would say they're happiest shooting in the 25-40yds bracket. A 12 ft/lb air rifle will have enough energy to kill at much greater distances, but pellets are really susceptible to wind and obviously the chances of error increases as the range increases.

Chrono it with whichever pellets you are going to use in the field. It SHOULDN'T make a difference what pellet you use to keep it under the 12 ft/lb limit, as most non-FAC air rifles are built to allow a greater power buffer up to the 12ft/lb than you're going to be able to surpass with a change of pellet! If you get some very border line ones - 11.8/11.9 don't use that brand; it's better to be at 11.5 and know you're never going to go over it with a dodgy pellet. You're not going to miss the extra .4 ft/lb!

Sounds like a great gun for plinking though! and will do more as well. A proper entrance into the world of air rifle shooting! enjoy :)

• 7 years later...

Hi 

I have a SMK B19 air rifle and I'm having trouble ordering the correct pellets I ordered Premier .177 / 4.5 mm . 7.9gr .51 g too small , then .22cal 14.3 gr . 93 g . Too big . 

Rifle spec is Cal.177(4.5) .22(5.5)mm as written on the small bumff that came with the gun . It means nothing to me sorry . Can you help 

thanks Charlie