Devastated

jackar7

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just read through this thread and I am truly sorry for what happened to your little Cocker. My advice would be to get her around bigger dogs, especially Rotties ASAP to show her that she has nothing to fear. Louie has been attacked by a Patterdale, an American Bulldog, a Springer (who has since been PTS because he was getting increasingly aggressive towards other dogs despite seeing a trainer and behaviourist) and a Lab (the lab is awful! Always goes for Louie and his owners just haven't learn't). After every attack, which I must say was never as horrendous as your Cocker endured, I took him around dogs of the same size, breed, ones I knew were friendly. He's been alright since, but the Lab has put him off other male Labs, the rude ones anyway. But it can be reversed and her confidence with other dogs can be repaired! Bless her. Report it both to the Police and the Dog Warden, they may not do anything, but it will be recorded. In the eyes of the law a dog is property. If you feel your property is under threat you are within your rights to protect it as you see fit.

I also want to let those saying "it could be a child next" that just because a dog attacks another dog, does NOT mean it will attack a child! I have walked several dog aggressive dogs and own one myself and none of them have posed threats to children. Dogs do NOT see us as the same species! Rotties were bred to herd cattle to the butchers not for fighting. Staffordshire Bull Terriers were bred for the barbaric sport of bringing bulls down but aside from that they were nicknamed (as well as the Pit Bull) the "Nanny dog" as they were gentle with everyone, especially children! People have made them what they are today. They were never evil. And I have met some bloody nasty Labs and Spaniels! Any dog has the potential to attack another animal or human. It's the breeding and bringing up that depends on how they behave.

Edited by ETO