Is there a ferreting season as such?

Boston

I am sorry if does sound like a dumb question and basic stuff :good: , but is there a ferreting 'season'?

If not, when would the best time of year be to get good results .... is there a code of practise during the hight of breeding season that you should go by or would it still be okay to send the ferret down at the beginning of spring knowing there is young in the nest?

Can you ferret to any kind of success during the winter months ... and what is the meat like, tough or prime?

Does sending a ferret down the warren clear it out or given a couple of months can you return to the same warren ... do the rabbits leave once a ferret has been down?

Don't worry ... my ferreting book should come soon :)

There is no legal ferreting season, like a game season, or wildfowling season, they are classed as vermin and as such can be taken all year round.

When we had clearer cut weather seasons, the rabbits stopped/reduced their breeding activities in mid Autumn as the weather got colder and restarted around early April into May, depending on the arrival of the warmer Spring.

So, between mid Autumn and early Spring was the prime ferreting time because there were no, or few, young underground and the does weren't milky.

As the Autumn and Winters have got milder,it seems that rabbits have extended their breeding season and its not uncommon to see young in November and February.

I prefer to ferret in the Winter period, when there is less chance of litters underground and less chance of having to dig for the ferret.

Some ferreters work all year round on rabbit clearance, because thats what they need to do.

I don't have a problem with that, each to their own.

Its all a matter of personal preference.

Rabbit meat is prime all year round, but rutting bucks can taste a bit strong and some people don't like milky does, although I can't taste any difference.

Rabbits will return to an earth reasonably soon.

When you ferret an earth you rarely catch every rabbit, some will not have been below ground, some will escape the ferret, some may miss the nets and get away.

If your earth is in a "busy" rabbit area, the rabbits will move in from "next door" quite quickly.

It use to be common practise after ferreting an earth, to block up all the holes with dirt.

Then you could see by the dug out holes, when the rabbits had returned.