brocock predator

Guest mel b2

Hi guys . :D ive been hanging around the site for ages very interesting informative and funny at times. but its time for me to pick the brains of the airgunners.several months ago i was given a brocock predator air rifle i have used it very effectively on a feral pigeon job taking approx 150 birds up to 35--40 yards it has been a brilliant tool for the job silent no recoil just a bit of a pain filling the air cartridges . the question i need answering is would this gun be any good for rabbits as i have a rabbit job coming up but i will be unable to use the shotgun late at night or early morning and i cant justify the cost of a pcp and all the gear for something that i will only use once in a blue moon. my second question is would it be possible to get anymore power from a brocock air cartridge i have seen a site somewhere that had a bit of info but cant find it anymore i bought some tac 2 air cartridge bullets from the midland gamefair yesterday but the young lady on the stand was unable to answer all of my questions except that these may help a little thanks in anticipation for any replies and for taking time to read such a long winded question. :D

Its well up to the job although I would only do 30 metres to be sure. As for upping the power! grey area and could land you in trouble without a F.A.C. Contact the BASC for a clear definition.

Charlie

You need a FAC for more than 12ft lbs muzzle velocity, so that's the highest you should go.

You will find the gun effective in the evening with a lamp, or else if there's some good cover and there are certain spots where the rabbits favour, you can lay up downwind of them but in range and wait for them to appear.

If the rabbits have set runs in the long grass which you can see are regularly used, don't discount snares. Correctly placed, they can be very effective.

thanks for the replies guys . ive had the gun checked out and its only working at 9 ft/lbs the guy at the gunshop was really helpfull but was unable to advise me on getting it up to the legal limit do you think it would be advisable to use it for rabbits or would it be a little underpowered . ive got a feeling i may have to open the piggy bank and buy a cheapish springer. any advice on getting it up to full power or a budget springer thats ok for rabbits would be appreciated cheers guys.

Hi mel b2,9ft/lbs isnt really up to the job in hand unless you stick to really close rangeso your best bet is definatly a rifle that is just under the legal limit.Dont forget the second hand market,with a bit of care you can get a bargin.Basically any rifle that is made buy any of the well known firms will be pretty good so its up to what suits you and your pocket :D

Hi Neil,

Not saying you didnt know, my post was to inform mel b2 following on from my first post, yours sort of fell in between, but as in all things, whether that be guns , cars or women!! whats right for one man may not suit another so i agree have a look around before parting with cash. :D

Claydon

• 2 weeks later...

Brocock Predators often give variable power from their tacs due to inconsistencies in filling them especially with a slim-jim. Not an ideal hunter. If using the slim-jim the method of pumping will vary the power output a fair bit. Slow deliberate pumping is best as this gives the air a chance to cool and thus become denser. There are better tools for the job for less money than a Predator. The best man to talk to on TACS is Bob Ruggles at the practical pistol board.

http://www.practicalpistoluk.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

What Bob doesn't know about TACS isn't worth knowing

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it was me I'd sell them all and buy a decent precharged carbine. :lol:

I've had a BSA superten for a couple of years now and I haven't picked up my springer since, a half inch grouping at 40 yards and dropping bunnies at 45-50yards no problem. averaging 200 ish shots from 1 charge which I get charged up at my local scuba shop for £1.

I don't think you can touch that realy for quality and value. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flightline

Better get your Brocock`s quick lads: if it uses an air cartridge system they could be banned by next January (see p93 of current Sporting Gun) as part of the Anti-social Behaviour Bill. Existing owners would have to get FACs, but would not have to provide a "good reason" for having the gun. This is allegedly cos hoods convert them to fire .22 ammo.

When will they realise that banning these things doesn't make a diffirence. Its not us sporting shooters that do stupid things with guns, we wouldn't because it would ruin our sport for all of us! Its just idiots, if they can't get their hands on a Brocock, then they will just use something else instead to reak havoc with. What needs to be done is preventing people from becoming criminals in the first place, so long as these idiots are out there they will continue to cause a problem. The only people harmed by these laws are us, law abiding, respectful and proudly British sportsmen. We are not the ones scrounging off benifits and shooting up cats on a council estate!