manual sliding gates

mrpip

hi all, I'm looking at putting a new vehicle entrance into the garden directly off the road, require approx 3 mtr opening so hinged gates wont be an option. the fence the gate is going in is 25 mtrs long so a sliding gate would be ok. Been looking on the net for plans but drawn a blank, thinking of metal frame with wood inset, manually operated, need some ideas for the sliding mechanism & frame the gate fits in etc, any ideas, cheers

hi all, I'm looking at putting a new vehicle entrance into the garden directly off the road, require approx 3 mtr opening so hinged gates wont be an option. the fence the gate is going in is 25 mtrs long so a sliding gate would be ok. Been looking on the net for plans but drawn a blank, thinking of metal frame with wood inset, manually operated, need some ideas for the sliding mechanism & frame the gate fits in etc, any ideas, cheers

You need to think who will be opening this gate as they can end up quite heavy if you are not carful.

Quite often there is a track for some type of roller/wheel to run on, so debris (stones) can be an issue.

Folding gates can save a lot of space but two sets of hinges are fiddly….

TEH

This link shows a electric one but gives you an idea of how they run

http://www.gateauto....liding-Gates/ Scroll to bottom of page. -

Edit for another link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNf2_DHKXSI

Remember the gate will be heavy and you don't want it falling over.

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

It’s a bit of an abstract suggestion.

But if you’re not using the gate often there is an alternative.

A chap near where I work has a standard fence, and when he wants to get through he just gets out an electric screwdriver and removes a 6 foot panel so he can drive through.

I have a 7' section of fence that simply lifts out of the posts. I used 4 joist retainers. The spars rest in those and hold it solid. I simply undo shoot bolts.and lift it out. Takes less than 10 seconds to remove and simply slots back in. In effect.its just a continuation of my fence. I often had people asking HOW i got the car in :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've assisted in the automation of several sliding gates in the post. Don't recall seeing many, if any, manual ones.

Typically they are constructed of steel and heavy if you move to something like wood then stiffness and keeping them true becomes a problem.

You obviously need good guides possibly top and bottom, good runners, probably a jockey wheel on the closing end and a receptacle on the closing end too.

Difficult to say much more without knowing span and height required.

Personally I would not consider it unless automating them.

Hi the link posted above is a very helpful company to deal with I use there equipment for the gates that I install. You can just buy the track and rollers for manual as it is the same as automatic. I would recommend a counter balance system as these are easy to open and shut manually and don't have a problem with stones or rubbish jamming them. You will need a footing for the rollers but this is surprisingly small, north valley forge can work this out for you if you supply them with a drawing. If you pm me your email I can send you plans for calcs.

Just out of interest what is the gate going to be secured to a wall a wooden fence or would it be a self contained structure Ie metal posts in the ground.

Just looking at the vids the big wooden one looked good but the one with metal bars made me think what if a child was to put an arm through it while it was opening the mind boggles.

Edited by four-wheel-drive