clay shooting lesson today = selling my new gun!

Leicpigeon1990

Well I finally got round to booking a clay shooting lesson last week after some terrible misses on pigeons and the lesson was today, I was very pleased with the results and he managed to talk me though everything and every stand. Top bloke I will be booking another lesson soon, they are money well spent when you are missing a lot as I was doing.

So you might ask yourself why am I'm selling my gun, I purchased the gun around 6 months ago, I have not been able to use it much due to work and family. The coach took my gun and look down it and said your left handed right? My reply was yes. Now I knew nothing about cast of guns untill today that is. I purchased the gun from a gun shop so you would get helpful advice and with a gunsmith in store I thought that was a bonus, two people who know what there doing, or so i thought. After trying afew guns I really liked a Browning B325, after altering LOP the owner and gunsmith were happy with the measurements so I paid my hardearned cash over, I trusted they knew what they were doing.

My coach pointed out that my gun has a right hand cast on it, I notice it now he said, not ideal for me as I'm a lefty. His advice is to sell the browning and get something like a trap gun or a O/U left cast. So the gun fits me rather than making me fit around the gun. Sorry about the rant, pleased with the clay lesson just not the shop that 'fitted' it to me.

So you might see a Browning B325 for sale very soon.

Thanks Chris

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

I would always get a second opinion if it is going to cost you and you like the gun. As you don't need to sell it. There are loads of people shooting right hand guns who are left handed. Myself included.

You can get them altered easily to perfect without the hassle and expense of selling up. Guns have so little cast on them in general these days it's not major work.

I would find a good wood man in your area. For probably no more than fifty quid you would get it spot on if it does need altering.

Your coach may be spot on but I watched a so called BASC registered coach give some advice before a competition last year to a mate of mine that his eye was too low on the rib, the stock need altering etc etc. The advice was rubbish and it was about gun mount and personal preference and did not require altering.

Edited by Dibs

I dont quite understand why your coach has said you should by a trap gun ??? if you are just going to shoot trap ten fair enough, but if you intend shoot pigeons as well it doesnt make sence :no: as trap guns tend to shot high because of the targets you are shooting at are lifting so the gun shoots high so you can still see the clay as you shoot ! If I where as dibs said find a good gun smith an ask him to alter your stock to fit you as theres nothing wrong Browning B325s and I'm sure it will cost a lot less to get it altered :good:

Iv been sold a trap gun for my first shotgun , didnt know there was a difference i told the guy in the shop it was for clay an pigeons turns out months down the line its a trap gun , now i cant help wonder if i would shoot better with a sporter , still cracking on with it for now thou as i really love the gun ,probably cos its my first

I dont quite understand why your coach has said you should by a trap gun ??? if you are just going to shoot trap ten fair enough, but if you intend shoot pigeons as well it doesnt make sence :no: as trap guns tend to shot high because of the targets you are shooting at are lifting so the gun shoots high so you can still see the clay as you shoot ! If I where as dibs said find a good gun smith an ask him to alter your stock to fit you as theres nothing wrong Browning B325s and I'm sure it will cost a lot less to get it altered :good:

Plenty of people prefer trap guns for all clay shooting disciplines and pigeon shooting.

Chris, i'm only 10 mins down the road from you , pop round and ill give you some independant advice on the 325. I can think of 2 places in Leicestershire that would sell you something unsuitable as i have almost been caught out myself

cheers

Thanks where abouts are you? I purchased the gun in Norfolk but I know what you mean about some the shops around here.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I really like the browning as a gun, just feels like it digs in slightly in shoulder. He mentioned a trap gun as they have straight stocks.

Thanks Chris

Thanks where abouts are you? I purchased the gun in Norfolk but I know what you mean about some the shops around here.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I really like the browning as a gun, just feels like it digs in slightly in shoulder. He mentioned a trap gun as they have straight stocks.

Thanks Chris

Mine cast to the left is it cast on? or summit Edited by bigman

Well for £50 you can have the cast altered or buy a cast on stock for a few hundred I have a factory cast on 525. Which shop there are a couple of good ones for left handed shooters..... BTW which is your dominant eye?

Assume you mounted to left shoulder in shop? Gun shop rugby is owned by a leftie Gordon iirc that's where I got mine

Funny story I was mooching round a local big RFD and spotted a 20 G on the rack, looked tidy full money tagged as RH, had a look as a friend was looking for one, mentioned to the assistant it was cast on he shouted across the shop " result on that 20g it's a leftie" price tag off price tag back on + £50..... I don't tell them any more

Edited by HDAV

Well for £50 you can have the cast altered or buy a cast on stock for a few hundred I have a factory cast on 525. Which shop there are a couple of good ones for left handed shooters..... BTW which is your dominant eye?

Assume you mounted to left shoulder in shop? Gun shop rugby is owned by a leftie Gordon iirc that's where I got mine

Funny story I was mooching round a local big RFD and spotted a 20 G on the rack, looked tidy full money tagged as RH, had a look as a friend was looking for one, mentioned to the assistant it was cast on he shouted across the shop " result on that 20g it's a leftie" price tag off price tag back on + £50..... I don't tell them any more

Is that all it would be then, he did mention a pad that you can get that you alter sideways to take the can't out the gun. Slightly more I think. He also mention rugby gun shop as being a good one.

Yeah I mounted on the left as normal and I'm left eye dominant.

And to the other post hes a little mire advance than that has got afew major comps under his name.

Lots of sweeping generalisations in the above posts.

So trap guns have straight stocks?

BASC Coaches can only teach Grannies and kids not to shoot each other?

Only Winners Champions can coach?

I can think of hundreds of situations that disprove this bucket of gems.

OK, back in the real world. If it is a right hander sold to a leftie the original seller is your first port of call. Get it measured, shoot it on the plate then either get it altered, which isn't always as straightforward as some may think.

Depending on the make an easier solution is simply to fit a makers left handed stock. Most "off the shelf" guns are not true lefties, top lever still goes to the right.

We rarely sell a gun without a fitting and a session on the range. If it does not fit we refuse to sell it.

Lots of sweeping generalisations in the above posts.

So trap guns have straight stocks?

BASC Coaches can only teach Grannies and kids not to shoot each other?

Only Winners Champions can coach?

I can think of hundreds of situations that disprove this bucket of gems.

OK, back in the real world. If it is a right hander sold to a leftie the original seller is your first port of call. Get it measured, shoot it on the plate then either get it altered, which isn't always as straightforward as some may think.

Depending on the make an easier solution is simply to fit a makers left handed stock. Most "off the shelf" guns are not true lefties, top lever still goes to the right.

We rarely sell a gun without a fitting and a session on the range. If it does not fit we refuse to sell it.

Most sensible advice to date.

Any work on the stock to change the cast will be at your own risk and not as straightforward as some have said.

Bill

Most sensible advice to date.

Any work on the stock to change the cast will be at your own risk and not as straightforward as some have said.

Bill

I would go back to the shop you bought it from and let them bend at there risk if you go that route a refund would be better. Well worth shouldering a cast on gun before making a decision or if possible shooting one. There are true left handers available from Blaser and a couple of others with left handed top levers but not cheap

After trying afew guns I really liked a Browning B325, after altering LOP the owner and gunsmith were happy with the measurements so I paid my hardearned cash over, I trusted they knew what they were doing.

My coach pointed out that my gun has a right hand cast on it, I notice it now he said, not ideal for me as I'm a lefty. His advice is to sell the browning and get something like a trap gun or a O/U left cast. So the gun fits me rather than making me fit around the gun. Sorry about the rant, pleased with the clay lesson just not the shop that 'fitted' it to me.

I'm assuming you shoot off the left shoulder?

When you mounted the gun in the shop did it come up so you were looking straight down the rib?

If it did then really you've got nothing to worry about, even if it has got a bit of right hand cast.

If you're mounting it correctly and you're seeing the correct sight picture changing to a left hand cast will only push your head over to the left and you'll end up looking down the side of the barrels.