clay shooting lesson today = selling my new gun!

Leicpigeon1990

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure about that :hmm:

From what i've seen at a few game fairs they only teach people which is the dangerous end.

If I wanted some coaching i'd go to someone with a proven record of winning :good:

Azzurri

I would guess he is sure considering he is one .

When you mounted the gun in the shop did it come up so you were looking straight down the rib?

If it did then really you've got nothing to worry about, even if it has got a bit of right hand cast.

It's so easy to see a gun you really like and convince yourself it will fit you after a few try-mounts in the shop. I've done it, twice :unsure:

Now I mount a gun a couple of times, then do it with my eyes closed and check it's still good. I wouldn't hesitate to either adjust or have altered a gun that didn't fit properly. Talented people can work around a poor fit, but I need all the help I can get.

It's so easy to see a gun you really like and convince yourself it will fit you after a few try-mounts in the shop. I've done it, twice :unsure:

That was partly my point.

On the other hand there's nothing to say a gun with a bit of RH cast won't fit a LH shooter. If the OP has a consistent mount and his eye was central to the rib, then the gun seems OK.

Of course if he's (possibly subconsciously) tilting his head to 'make' the gun fit.................. :hmm:

Well the instructor seemed to think it was an issue

Yeah but he also said that trap guns have straight stocks, and that the OP should have LH cast.

My point being that if the OP's gun has a foot of RH cast yet his eye is in the correct place when the gun is mounted properly then that's what he needs. You don't have to have LH cast just 'cos you're a leftie.

The chances of right cast gun fitting a left handed shooter is slim to none unless you are a very strange shape.

Dave.

Really?

There was me thinking the whole point of gun fitting was to accommodate people of varying shapes and sizes?

It’s always been my view on gunfitting that it’s personal and subjective to the individual shooter, just because it is not ‘textbook’ doesn’t automatically mean it is wrong and detrimental to your shooting.

I never bought into the view of someone else telling you how you should have your gun set up as long as it’s ‘about right’ and ‘about right’ covers an awful lot of measurements including different cast.

I do believe in personalising it to how you want it, but my view is if you go to 10 different gunsmiths you will probably get 10 different measurements & at least one Jones adjuster. So the R/H cast might suit you or as in a lot of so called ‘make sure the gun fits’ gun fittings you have been sold some magic beans and a jar of snake oil by the shop. I know of two shooters on here that have shot guns that were the ‘wrong cast’ to half decent scores so it’s not just championship winning shooters either.

If you are comfortable with the gun then keep it, if not then change, but change to one you like more not just to one someone else says fits better.

Edited by timps

It’s always been my view on gunfitting that it’s personal and subjective to the individual shooter, just because it is not ‘textbook’ doesn’t automatically mean it is wrong and detrimental to your shooting.

I never bought into the view of someone else telling you how you should have your gun set up as long as it’s ‘about right’ and ‘about right’ covers an awful lot of measurements including different cast.

I do believe in personalising it to how you want it, but my view is if you go to 10 different gunsmiths you will probably get 10 different measurements & at least one Jones adjuster. So the R/H cast might suit you or as in a lot of so called ‘make sure the gun fits’ gun fittings you have been sold some magic beans and a jar of snake oil by the shop. I know of two shooters on here that have shot guns that were the ‘wrong cast’ to half decent scores so it’s not just championship winning shooters either.

If you are comfortable with the gun then keep it, if not then change, but change to one you like more not just to one someone else says fits better.

Unfortunately most of us mere mortals need all the help we can get , :good:

Unfortunately most of us mere mortals need all the help we can get , :good:

But that's my whole point who's help do you believe?

Take what you consider the top 10 shooters in the world, the gun set up, how much rib they see, cheek buried / not buried into the stock & countless other differences, there is not one standard set up. Surely the individual shooter themselves is best placed to say what fits.

If you let someone else tell you what fits then they might genuinely believe that the gun he has bought fits him well.

Like I said 10 different gunsmiths & you will not get 10 identical guns.

:good:

Gunfitting is an art not a science.

What it says in the text book is less important than what works for the client.

The real skill, as in coaching, is leaving alone what is right and fixing what is wrong.

Spotting the difference is the hard bit.

The trouble with a so called ‘art’ that is not scientific and open to interpretation is you get a heck of a lot of charlatans hence my reference to snake oil salesmen.

It is not a good business model to turn away work or charge someone £200 for a fitting only to tell them the gun they have is fine just the way it is.

People look for a quick fix and are quick to blame the gun so handing over a few hundred pounds to change the gun is easier than spending time and money at the ground learning to shoot it in the first place. The fitting is usually done with the caveat it will take you some time to get used to it but it will be better in the long run.

I am not against people personalising their guns (I have with one of mine) or a coach fixing a clear major (scientifically provable) issue. I would even pay someone to make a stock to my preferences but I would not pay someone to tell me what those preferences should be in the first place.

I have never understood how you can ‘fit’ a gun to a new shooter who has an inconsistent mount or stance in the first place, at best you can just get it about right and wait until he develops his style.

The OP said ‘I was very pleased with the results’ if the gun was a major issue fit wise then I doubt he would be pleased with any results, so either the gun fit is about right or the gun fit doesn’t matter that much to the OP as he can adapt.

:good:

Good points Timps.

I did a gunfitting yesterday, fantastic gun, nowhere near fitting. About 3/4" too long. Shot with one of mine fitted to suit and hit 85% of low house skeet and 95% of driven targets.

It was 7/8" less on LOP and drop was 1/8" less at all three points than their own gun.

When we get a consistent mount and stance established we will do some pattern plate work and then shorten the LOP, and possibly remove an 1/8" of drop depending on results after shortening and shooting/pattern plating again. Alter one thing at a time.

I fitted another today , shooting off left shoulder. Right handed gun with RH palm swell, BUT it is right for him and has almost no cast, drop and LOP are as good as you will get off the shelf.He doesn't care about the palm swell, some would.

Handsome is as handsome does. If it produces consistent results and comes to them, rather than them go to it, you are about on the money.

has it got a left handed palm swell ?

Most BASC coaches are just qualified to make sure kids and grandma's don't shoot each other at game fairs

I think you will find that they do alot more than that! Everyone has seen 'so called' experts doing things wrong or incorrectly - but I can assure you that it is not easy to become a BASC coach, and you will find that most BASC Coaches would be offended at your comments.

I have seen other (Some qualified, some not) 'Coaches' who are brilliant, I have also seen some who are not capable of 'making sure that grandma dont shoot each other at gamefairs'

Peter, you obviously have a vested interest in BASC coaching so I wonder if you can answer a question for me?

What's the difference between a BASC coach and a CPSA instructor?

Are there any differences in the way the different organisations teach a newcomer to the sport?

Peter, you obviously have a vested interest in BASC coaching so I wonder if you can answer a question for me?

Are there any differences in the way the different organisations teach a newcomer to the sport?

What about APSI or the others?

Yes I do have a vested interest, as I work for BASC ' Hands UP'

The difference, as I am aware is that a CPSA 'instructor' is trained primarily to fault find, where as a BASC Coach is mentored to Coach. Without doubt the further levels of training that the CPSA provide are far more specific to disciplines and superseed to a certain extent the BASC Award in this fact. The CPSA deliver training courses for the various grades of instructor and Coach and BASC bases its award on the NVQ system - you learn in the workplace and are assessed in the workplace.

APSI - Have some excellent coaches, some of the best! In fact many of our more experienced coaches are APSI members. What I'm not so sure about is how they assess their coaches - it has been in the past, rather subjective - maybe someone could enlighten us?

There of course are other 'less recognised' shotgun coaches out there. I believe that BASC is the only body that re-accredits its coaches on a regular basis, to make sure that they are still maintaining their standards.

If you are interested in becomming a BASC Coach, please check out our website http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/shooting-standards/basc-coaches/basc-shotgun-coach-award-scheme.cfm or give me a call direct

Many thanks, Peter - 01244 573063

my five pence worth.

I am also a left handed shooter and like you iI bought a right handed gun as my first gun when i started clay shooting 10 years ago. Actually like you a Browning 325 !

frequently coaches put so much store by getting asgun to fit before you purchase it- when frequently particularly as a left hander its easier to get the gun you want and then get a gunsmith to make it fit. Bending a stock to suit should cost no more than £50-60 , If too long a bit of stock could be removed, if its too short a kik eze but pad can be added to add up to about an inch- so within reason unless you are 7 foot tall and have bought a youth model a gunsmith should be able to alter any gun to fit you.

you will be warned that one in every so many stocks that is steamed breaks but this is an extremely rare event and with a common gun like yours, expensive but not the end of the world.