Moonlight foxcubs

tomhw100

618e0b59.jpg

Hi fellas

Me and my Usual shooting mate tom went out last night with the shotguns after foxes. We got to our chosen permission ( a cattle farm) about 7ish. I had a quick chat with the farmer on the phone before we came up and he said he had been seeing them at dusk mooching around the fields. We decided to sit in a fire heap as it got dark. After about 30 mins I saw a big fox running along the top of the field so tom started squeaking with is hand as I got ready. Th fox was about 150yds away and started to come towards us,then suddenly another two started making there way over from a field on our left to...that's when it started to all go wrong we suddenly heard barking which came closer and closer then out of know where next doors dog ran out to the field barking its bloody head off scaring all 3 foxes away..ROLLOCKS. The dog quickly scarpered as I chased it away. We waited another 45 mins and again I saw another fox just as light was fading running along the same line as the one before we watched him mess around at the top of the field and he started to naturally head down our way,the wind was ideal blowing in our faces. He got about half way down the field when we heard voices then all of. Sudden to horsey girls decided to climb the gate and proceed to jog across the field to go home,when they saw us it gave them, a right fright! Hahaha the fox screeched to a halt and turned on his heels and scarpered. Four foxes over the space of an hour and half and no shots!

We had a fag and cursed our luck and then to finish it off the moon decided to pay us a visit, we didn't even think of the moon before we came out..a complete schoolboy error!. Anyhoo we started our walk towards a massive dung heap about 120 yards away as we approached a pair of orange lanterns shined straight back at us.he quickly jumped down the back of the dung heap so we progressed towards it as we got there and looked round the Side he was still lurking about 50 yards away- still out of range for the shotguns. He hadn't smelt or heard us as the wind was blowing strongly in our faces and to top it off it was a cub Tom gave it a quick squeak and it looked interested but wouldn't come closer and started making its way back up the hill stopping and looking back then continuing,at the top of the hill about 70 yards away was another cub which our one was following. I decided to try one last time and gave it a real quiet squeak this time it turned on its heels and ran straight back to us! It got to just under 40yds and tom let it have it with a dose of 36g bb. One dog down. We swapped over and tom took the lamp and continued to another field by this time the moon was high and it was just to bright,we see one other fox which winded us and ******** off so we decided to call it a night after an hour of walking and calling, we went back to where we had shot the first to dispose of it and on route intercepted another fox this time a vixen tom called this one and she came likea steam train I let her get to 30 yardsish and shot her crossing.

We didn't do bd considering the conditions and the farmer will be happy as he has chickens to.

It is coming to the stage where we are considering getting a centrefire - though it is fun calling them and getting close and personal there's nothing like calling a fox to within shotgun range to get the old heart pumping!

Edited by tomhw100

Are we talking for foxes yea? Can't see how it would make it spread more im not saying it don't I just can't see the logic behind it.

ye well done tomhw,it is a bit harder with a shot gun after foxes, its hard enough some times with a rifle

Cheers mate

well done tomhw100 nice couple of foxes with the shotgun. and a very good write up as well enjoyed reading it. :good:

Cheers fenntiger

Edited by tomhw100