geese cull in Orkney

big bad lindz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the cull will more likely be out of season next year , 4500 geese to be culled on orkney and other islands .

i think it more the feral geese they are targeting but could be wrong

You are right Zabb10 the idea is to cull the local geese which are a problem for farmers & the idea is to cull them before the Icelandic birds arrive so they don't have long as the birds start to arrive from Iceland about the last week of September & through October .

I live on the north west of the Orkney mainland & I watch then when they start to arrive I also watch them go the same way in the spring over the sea in the evenings .

To be honest I cant see this cull working as this year the barely will be cut late & in September the cattle & sheep are still in the field & the farmers don't want their stock all wound up by shooters & dogs . The way I understand it is to work is for any farmers with geese causing problems to call the department & they will send a team of local guns with steel shot cartridges supplied to control them . Note the shooters are not to be paying guests so its not going to be a free for all for all visiting guns .

Some of us here are under the opinion that this cull wont work as the only way to get them is in summer or by oiling the eggs at nesting time we can get a license to cull t them in summer but it is with conditions .

The local greylags are a new problem here & when I bought my small farm here the previous owner told me that when he took on the farm in the 1950s the geese would arrive from Iceland & stay a couple of weeks or so & then head south & he would not see them until the return journey in the spring on the way back to Iceland .

Some 25 years ago I am told it was a great thing if you got a goose here & a friend of mine told me he got a right & left at geese in the 80s & he was the talk of the west mainland ! .

I will make a call to the department & the RSPB & see what is on the cards .

No dout some **** will call me a loon before the night is out ! but remember this I LIVE HERE ! & you don't . :good:

Edited by Pole Star

Hi,

Has anyone heard about permission being given to locals to have a cull of geese on Orkney ?

I have heard 2nd hand that some 1500 geese are to be culled starting 2 days before the season begins.

Maby Pole Star can shed some light.

Cheers,

BBL

I think its some 6 or 10 thousand BBL but I just cant see it happening in such a short space of time . will know more in the morn. see you soon .

JEALOUS !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can shoot gees from my back door when conditions are right & if I get bored I can shoot em from my front door ! or I can walk down my field & flight em at the loch ! How about you ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a mighty 10 minutes to drive or 20 if I'm feeling adventurous :lol:

So is this kicking off Aug next year? I would have thought you'd have some migrant birds in by then tbh. Different if it was in july

I have a mighty 10 minutes to drive or 20 if I'm feeling adventurous :lol:

So is this kicking off Aug next year? I would have thought you'd have some migrant birds in by then tbh. Different if it was in july

Well 10 or 20 mins is better than most on here ! some drive hundreds of miles to satisfy their urge :lol:

Not to mention the Kids complaining about the menu, i take them to McDonalds every now and again so they get a healthy variation in thier diets LOL!

Better to make goose burgers for them ! just put lots of onions with em & tell them a white lie ! like you bought em at McDonalds earlier ! & don't forget to smother them in tomato ketchup to disguise the taste a bit ! :whistling: :whistling:

Better to make goose burgers for them ! just put lots of onions with em & tell them a white lie ! like you bought em at McDonalds earlier ! & don't forget to smother them in tomato ketchup to disguise the taste a bit ! :whistling: :whistling:

Burgers, sausage rolls, pies, mince, stew, spag boll, curry, meat balls, smoked, stir fried, pan fried, roasted just to name some ways that I have cooked and eaten them,

Cant wait for the morning to get some fresh meat and looking foward to my visit up to orkney at the end of next month to shoot some more and to meet up with with Pole Star

Thanks for all your comments so far on this subject. I am sure that we will have some more when more information is available.

Cheers and good hunting in the morning.

BBL

To up date & clarify things & bring an up date to those interested I spoke to 2 of the chaps involved the in cull which lasted for 4 days & finished today & consisted of 4 parties of guns who were to shoot 300 per group & cull 1200 in total .

Some thing may happen again next season on a bigger scale some say .

ps I understand most or all of the geese were buried which is a shame as a lot them would have been young birds & just right for the pot .

Edited by Pole Star

there are no feral geese on Orkney

so what would you call a goose bred on the island and doesnt mirate away from it ?

the problem on orkney is the amount of geese there all year round

I'd call it a wild goose." Feral" is a term applied to something that has returned to the wild after being tamed or domesticated. Being migratory - or not - has nothing to do with it.

And the problem in Orkney isn't simply the number of geese there all the year round - it's the huge influx of migratory birds that is just about to start.

I'd call it a wild goose." Feral" is a term applied to something that has returned to the wild after being tamed or domesticated. Being migratory - or not - has nothing to do with it.

And the problem in Orkney isn't simply the number of geese there all the year round - it's the huge influx of migratory birds that is just about to start.

Not exactly right aldivalloch its the geese that stay here all year that are the main problem & the field below my cottage is next to the loch 3 years ago it had been sown with new barley . Well the young geese had 5 acres of the field stripped bare in no time the youngsters would just walk up from the loch & munch away & every time I fired a shot to put them out they would just scramble back into the loch & wait off shore in a huge flotilla just waiting & watching for me to go away & then they would creep back in the field ! .

No farmer would stand to have 5 acres of barley be stripped out by rabbits ! I must add that this year the local geese have not been a problem in my area & I have not seen as many youngsters on the loch so I wonder if the RSPB have been oiling the eggs on the reserve at the other end of the loch where they nest in great numbers. :hmm:

Once the large numbers come in from Iceland most of the cattle are in by then & the crops are all in , the main problem here is the resident geese .

Edited by Pole Star

Good to read this and a very interesting topic - do you have any 'special photos' you can post Polestar ?

Something to give us a back or a front door view would do !

Cheers

Well sorry to disappoint you Kes but as I look out at my top field of grass from here I can say there is not a goose in sight ! & the field out my back door is still a standing crop ! so I don't have any photos for you at the moment . Come to think of it I will see what I can do later in the season in the way of photos .