Half my pie flew off.

secretagentmole

Now I have an excellent recipe for pigeon pie that uses two pigeons. It had been a late start to the day (yesterday) and I was dropped off at the permission by she who must be obeyed, Put the gloves and mesh balaclava on and two rabbits quarter of the way down the track made for the nettles... So picture this, camoed head to toe (got realtree wellies), tac bag on the back, game bag (optimistic ain't I?) jauntily hung on one shoulder, HW100 in the arms, walkign down the track, there 100m away is a rabbit, I have to stalk a rabbit, with no cover, walk, still feeds, walk, still feeds, 70m away, sits up, I wait, it stares, I wait, it stares some more, so I walk down a bit further, it twitches, get to 60m (lasered) away, I am out of the wind, so I raise the rifle, aim and shoot. Perfect head shot (the SR reticle is worth it). Somersault, twitch, rabbit and black pudding stew on Saturday. I checked the track and the field, no rabbits...

Into the woodland, I manage to sneak up on some at roost, clinging on for dear life in the teeth of the howling gale that was whipping the tree tops back and forth. Unfortunately I was under one I had not seen, it saw me moving underneath and flew straight at the roosting 4 I had my eyes on. Oh exclamation mark!

I then saw one who had obviously had a gut full of grain or rape seed, eyes shut, hanging on, so I swung round, waited for the wind to subside, lined up and fired. It flew off! What the? It was a good shot! Oh exclamation mark 2! I waited and one flew in, preched and this was at a calm moment, too good to be true for me, so another shot and the pigeon hit the dirt in fron of the tree! I was pleased I had got one anyway. It was getting on a bit so I decided to have a final look round for rabbit. I got out of the wood, went to the field, and there, on the track is a dead pigeon! Frozen as if in flight on the deck! I think it got shot opened it's wings in surprise, the wind caught it and it glided (?) down about 30 metres away!

Anyways, well happy with two pigeons (pie) and rabbit (with black pudding) stew!

Edited by secretagentmole