spaniels, labradors and........?

bigbird

Ok so we have the quintessentiall (sp?!) Labs and spaniels as gundogs but being a rank amateur and not sure what other dogs such as pointers do in a rough shooting context - what other choices as regards breeds do we have? Has anyone had great results with a breed trhat you wouldn't associate with 'gundogism'? Has anyone an obscure breed that we (ok, people like me specifically!) May not know about? Please share. Aplogies for caps and terrible punctuation I'm on my phone! Cheers,

How serious are you in your shooting ? I`ve been shooting for more years than I care to remember and have not seen a single dog of any breed I would take over a springer, cocker or lab.Shooters have been breeding for generations to get what they consider the right dog for the job and those are the three breeds I mentioned above.

Dad had a clumber spaniel was very methodical in its work ethics and put up more game after springers had been through ,it never missed a thing

Same here - Mine's not the quickest dog in the world, but she won't go in where there's no scent and as you say above, she'll find game long after every other dog has been through - You can positively see her nose twitching from side to side when she's scenting. Damned if i can get her into water though.

unless you have a wired one WGD :yes:

simply a few of the alternative breeds are more known for blood trailing and tracking wounded larger game, so basically in the UK deer. They are very different to the usual gundogs but can be pretty adaptable. I've got a GWP who I use for a mix of rough shooting, beating and she also comes stalking and foxing. Hunts very hard when on birds and has turned out to be rather handy beating as she steadies up when there is lots of game about which is ideal at the end of drives. Lamping she sits on the back seat or more usually sleeps till you have a shot then she is up ready to look for the fox you've just shot, the plus point if you were to wound one she will happily bring it back dead.

Far from conventional but quite a fun dog in the run of things and suits the shooting I do.

Same here - Mine's not the quickest dog in the world, but she won't go in where there's no scent and as you say above, she'll find game long after every other dog has been through - You can positively see her nose twitching from side to side when she's scenting. Damned if i can get her into water though.

Our old clumber loved water the problem we had was getting him out

personally I wouldn't give 99% of any of the HPR breeds kennel room. Especially not one breed here in the UK. To small a gene pool in the UK for there to be a reliable souce of decent working stock. Not quite as bad as the HMH and BMH but not far from it.

Breed/working standards over on the contient however are much more stringent and the choice of well known long established lines are far greater.

Dad had a clumber spaniel was very methodical in its work ethics and put up more game after springers had been through ,it never missed a thing

Good working clumbers are few and far between but they can be found, more so now than 20 years ago. I'd happily have one in the kennel.

i love rough shooting and pigeon shooting and picking up on shoots i have had labs for 30 years now and i haye,nt had any probs with them they have worked cover any kind the only prob is they tire quicker than spaniels but apart from that they are to me one of the best gundogs you will own